Trick for using temp model to quickly make a guide for scanning abutments

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
This is a method I use to quickly make a guide for creating custom abutments. This method is predicated on the doc sending in a model of the temps or a pre-op model. First I pull a suck-down on the pre-op or temp model. Then cut out the suck-down so I just have the teeth that I will be restoring. I make sure the suck-down transfers onto the working model and then I spray the clear suck-down with cad-cam spray so it can be scanned. This isn't a perfect replica of what the final restoration will be, but this guide will at least get the abutments in an ideal position.
photo (5).JPG photo (6).JPG photo (7).JPG

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
This is a method I use to quickly make a guide for creating custom abutments. This method is predicated on the doc sending in a model of the temps or a pre-op model. First I pull a suck-down on the pre-op or temp model. Then cut out the suck-down so I just have the teeth that I will be restoring. I make sure the suck-down transfers onto the working model and then I spray the clear suck-down with cad-cam spray so it can be scanned. This isn't a perfect replica of what the final restoration will be, but this guide will at least get the abutments in an ideal position.

Hi Brett, we use to do this as well but found that the thickness of the blank still caused us a couple of problems (even at .5mm),so we now use lab putty over the pre op model then inject that with gingival mask material and place it on the working model, it works fantastic and gives you a true image of what was there and you can take the thing on and off no problem. All the best Pete

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Hi Brett, we use to do this as well but found that the thickness of the blank still caused us a couple of problems (even at .5mm),so we now use lab putty over the pre op model then inject that with gingival mask material and place it on the working model, it works fantastic and gives you a true image of what was there and you can take the thing on and off no problem. All the best Pete

This is pretty sweet, I have not thought or heard of this, I am using this one tomorrow.

This is whats cool about this site!!!!

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Of course, Atlantis needs me to rescan this case because they can't see the diagnostic. Have no idea why, I could see it just fine on my end. Oh well, time to try out the new and improved technique...THANKS K2!

stumpf

stumpf

Reaction score
Please help me to understand this method...i'm sure there is a problem with my english,but i don't understand this technique well...

T

thewhitelab

Reaction score
I use a similar technique to K2 only inject wax into the lab putty, the waxes used in injectors are pretty robust, so no issues with cracking etc

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Step by Step:

1.) Use lab putty, or use a clear stent like i made in the photo, to make a mold of the temporary crowns you will be restoring.
2.) After the mold sets up, cut it down so it will transfer over to the working model.
3.) Then inject the mold with wax, soft tissue material, or lab putty(whatever you are comfortable with)
4.) Once your material sets up, you should have a removable diagnostic model of the final restorations.

The goal of this is so that when you scan your model for the custom abutments, you will be able to make sure the abutments are in the ideal positions to fabricate the final crowns. Hope this helped Stumpf.

subrisi

subrisi

Reaction score
I use this technique too, but before I inject wax, I put a short piece of toothpick into the implant hole and make sure it sits tight. Then when the injected wax is cold, I can securely place the wax up back into the implant hole. I do this also for diagnostc wax ups and cases I wax up for Atlantis.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
By the way, i just did a 10 unit(2 five unit bridges) anterior Zir scan. The doc sent in a temp model. I pulled a suck-down over the temp and then i trimmed it and seated it on the a solid model of the prepped teeth. I punched a few holes in the suck-down and then injected soft tissue material into the suck-down. The resulting model of the temps was awesome and it fit great on the working model. I sprayed it with cad-cam wax and scanned it. I will let you know how the bridge turns out. I Really like the soft tissue material for this technique.

Hary

Hary

Reaction score

This is a great idea, how about this, you take a vacume forme on temps with the trasnsparent plastic sheet and then you fill that plastic with lab puty and you seet that on the master model. you have the temp in puty you just spray and scan.

anil patel

anil patel

Reaction score
dear i have dental wings scanner ,i want to know how do u scane abutment ,please

anil patel

anil patel

Reaction score

dear i want to know how to use this technic ,

amadent

amadent

http://amadent.net/Home.p
Reaction score
dear i have dental wings scanner ,i want to know how do u scane abutment ,please

we all do (DW users)- scanning implant abutments is nowhere near as easy as they would lead you to believe- we are getting better at them
but it has been along haul- and thats if the 5 series dosent frezze up - still waiting for the 64 bit - oh thats right it not coming for the 5 series scanner

Greg Amendola MDT

Last edited:
anil patel

anil patel

Reaction score
we all do (DW users)- scanning implant abutments is nowhere near as easy as they would lead you to believe- we are getting better at them
but it has been along haul- and thats if the 5 series dosent frezze up - still waiting for the 64 bit - oh thats right it not coming for the 5 series scanner

Greg Amendola MDT

dear i want to know how to scan implant abutment ,pls ,explain me pls ,

Top Bottom