Throw Back Thursday!

user name

user name

Reaction score
Bikes. That brings back memories. Friend at a near by farm got a Honda SL-70. Kid down the road got a Honda trail 70, then another one got a Rupp Black Widow. I was so jealous. My dad wouldn't help me out. Grrr

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Bikes. That brings back memories. Friend at a near by farm got a Honda SL-70. Kid down the road got a Honda trail 70, then another one got a Rupp Black Widow. I was so jealous. My dad wouldn't help me out. Grrr
Did he say, "get a job kid!"?

rc75

rc75

Sponsors
Reaction score
Used to ride without a helmet and that was ok back then...had a red Honda xl 100, like the one on the pic...w/ regular tires only, couldn't afford off-road tires for the longest time...lol

View attachment 22873

I learned to ride on a dirt bike exactly like this one when I was 12!

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Love those! I built and destroyed several of them. Estes is based in Penrose Colorado. Just a wide spot in the road with a tiny lobby and several fortified structures on the property to make the engines (think fireworks manufacturing facility). No actual rocket kit production that I saw on site. That is all done overseas. You can use Google Maps to see the facility: 1295 H St, Penrose, CO 81240 warning, the rockets are much more interesting than the company HQ. :)

"built and destroyed" :D

Some memories of the rockets.

They had the ones with the clear plastic payloads so you could put bugs, grasshoppers etc and blast them off. If you got a F- engine cluster you could launch, sheep, cats and dogs into space...well, maybe not.
Did you see where with those engines at least, you have to pay a hazardous material shipping charge that is more than the engines :eek: All the things we used to be able to send through the mail back then without a 2nd thought. Those days are gone. http://www.estesrockets.com/rockets/engines/e-and-f-29mm

The 2-3 stage rockets that would ignite one engine after the other.

Parachute powder, which I replaced with baby powder, that would give you a reading of where your rocket was when the shoot deployed.

The Camerock(?) the one that had a a cheap mirror reflex camera in the nosecone that would take a picture when the nose cone was ejected.

One of the companies had the white with sticky silver backing strip to loop your parachute cord into to stick to the inside of the body tube. Those were the ones that would come unstuck and your rocket would go one way, and the parachute drifting the other way. It had to be reinforced. The other company made you cut it out from their instruction sheet, a paper cord fastener that you folded over a couple times gluing at each fold, then gluing to the inside. Those worked better.

Sanding and rounding off the leading fin edge for better aerodynamics.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score

Same thing happened to me. My friends were getting the bikes you were talking about, and I was stuck with my JC Penny El Tigre, a frame with a motor the size of my hand-piece motor on it.

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
Yes, yes and YES! All the above. I wanted the "Camrock" so bad but could not afford it. So now you can buy a tiny MP3 video camera on ebay for about 5 bucks! Guess what? I finally got my Camrock:

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Very nice :):) Much better than the Camrock. Today's technology does have its advantages :)

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
Back on topic...

Not just a train set but an ARMY train set! The best!
5bf330e4c4d9c82dd2d8aefe96d3bdd1.jpg

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
My very first PC, a Commodore PC10-II...it had a huge 10Mb hard drive and 640kb RAM...:cool:

Commodore_PCcomp_PC10_1.jpg

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Got these bad boys brand new when I was about 13 years old!! The K2 Merlin V! Skiing went from a severe addiction to a psychotic love for me!
FallClearout009.jpg