Temp Bridge Material

C

CPLZ

Reaction score
I am looking into manufacturing temp crowns & bridges. What materials are labs using these days for lab manufactured temps?

Thanks...

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I am looking into manufacturing temp crowns & bridges. What materials are labs using these days for lab manufactured temps?

Thanks...

Most Dentists I know use Pro Temp....you can find it in the Zahn catalog. I've always liked the composite 3M ESPE system called Symphony, looks real nice and lasts a little longer than your chairside temporary. I know Dentsply came out with something similar called Radica, but everyone knows how I feel about Dentsply.

B

bdg

Reaction score
We use Sinfony for large cases that will be in temps for an extended time.
It is really nice -but for regular temps we use a self curing acrylic from GC America called Alike.
I do a DX wax up, dupe it, make a clear stent
Then I paint a layer of Rubber Sep on the die
and fill the stent w/ alike
sets up in a few minutes and finishes really nice.
It will finish down pretty thin w/out chipping around the margins.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I do a DX wax up, dupe it, make a clear stent

Why make a stent? Try just doing a polyvinyl impression of the wax up and use that instead of your stent.....tons faster.

Clear Precision Dental

Clear Precision Dental

Reaction score
I'm using Radica, and I like it. It is a resin that needs to be heated to flow. At room temp it is somewhat firm. You then can sculpt it, stain, add or fill in any voids, add any effects (ie mammelons, root areas),thicken margins or interproximal connections (with an electric waxer),& check occlusion. Once it is the way you want it(you can remove it from the cast by chilling it slightly) , you paint a nice sealer that makes it shine like glazed porcelain, and light cure it.

Other than Triad, their non-slumping denture repair material, and occational PermaSoft, I rarely using any things from Dentsply.

C

CPLZ

Reaction score
Radica looks like an interesting material.

Do you have any idea of material costs involved in a 3 tooth bridge with a molar pontic? This was my one worry about it, that it would be cost prohibitive when you got into pontics.

B

bdg

Reaction score
Why make a stent?...tons faster
Because a stent is tons cheaper
Wish I had the budget to do alot of things different hahaha!

aidihra

aidihra

Reaction score
I was at a course 2 weeks ago that promoted the Radica system. It looks very good, but I think the material cost is too high. $25 or $30 (Canadian) for one syringe that can produce 6-8 units and $800 for the syringe warmer. I use acrylic (Lang Jet Tooth Shade) for my temps, usually for posteriors only. I'll use cheap denture teeth for anteriors and use the Lang acrylic on the linguals and to bond the teeth together if I want them splinted.

B

bdg

Reaction score
Cheaper than some polyvinyl?....I'm not seeing it.

Its cheaper for me for a few reasons
a box of .020 (Around 100 sheets) is $20-$30
a box of reprosil is around $120 - $140
Give or take a few - and I know that you have to take into consideration a dupe model and time...

I like a clear stent because I will usually layer shades
and then I can see the layers to make sure it looks natural
I can also see if there is a void while Im making it and fix it prior to it setting.

My occlusion seems to be alot closer using a clear stent over polyvinyl
(This is most definitely technique so that is on me - tend to stick w/ what I know but I cant say that is a problem w/ the material hahaha)

So when using a clear stent I get consistent quality results each time w/ less time spent remaking them once I see what it looks like under the polyvinyl.

Overall it works out cheaper for me in both $$ and reduced frustration.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I like a clear stent because I will usually layer shades
and then I can see the layers to make sure it looks natural
I can also see if there is a void while Im making it and fix it prior to it setting.

Now I see......lol The light has been turned on. Great idea on using different shades and being able to see them through the clear stent....I like that. Keep up the great work.

Pronto

Pronto

Reaction score
We use Cerec CAD-temp. Limited shades at this point but they are easy and fit great and are stong.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Over the years we have done tons of Lab Fab temps out of a lot of different materials based on what we are trying to achieve.

The majority of our shell temps are still fabed with traditional tooth shade acrylic processed from a wax up putty matrix. We double process with body shade then a cut back with incisal.

Clear Precision Dental

Clear Precision Dental

Reaction score
It looks very good, but I think the material cost is too high. $25 or $30 (Canadian) for one syringe that can produce 6-8 units and $800 for the syringe warmer.

I have the whole system. Dentsply would hate me putting this out, but "F"(forget)-'em. Don't buy the warmer. I have a Black & Decker under-the-counter toaster oven that we use for dry-heat sterilizing burs. It was less that $50.00 at Walmart. I use that to heat the syringes when I am in a hurry because their warmer takes about 1/2 hour to warm up. I use the lowest setting (around 200 deg F). It works fine.

You also need an electric waxer to do some fine tuning. Almore has a cheap one that is around $200 instead of the $400 from Dentsply. Use whatever putty you use for a matrix, instead of getting theirs, or use a clear vacuum stent... so you can see the layers.

Essentially you NEED only the syringes (I pay about $26.00 ea),and I recommend their sealer/varnish (it works nice). The materials cure with light, so you need a source for that. It is nice that you have time to correct deficiencies before it hardens. My Triad oven does the trick, so does my curing light (it is a Plasma Arc),so don't buy their Enterra unit, or whatever they try to sell.

They have nice enamel shades, the dentin shades are beautiful, and the resin is very strong. Only buy what you need, unless you want to have the whole kit.

M

martintay

Reaction score
Hi, does anyone use wax up/invest and heat/injection mould process for temp bridges. Thankyou.

araucaria

araucaria

Balanced
Reaction score
Hi, does anyone use wax up/invest and heat/injection mould process for temp bridges. Thankyou.
Yep, I sometimes wonder how long it'll continue though with the development of intraoral scanning and resin milling.