Teeth stl library

C

cdiodontologia

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can find a .stl library with different forms and teeth shapes ?? It must be able to import in a cad software.

Thank you in advance.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I have to import STL files into a separate program. You then have to go through a series of steps to set up the tooth shape for proper manipulation within the dental cad software.You also have to set up folders in the correct library area for teeth, pontics and the appropriate metadata for each.

Not as easy as just importing a basic STL of a tooth.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
It also exports as a different file type. This is exocad that I deal with. Not sure about 3shape but you would still have to have more than an STL file of a tooth.

Y

YMS96

Reaction score
Tooth STL's work and import just fine in 3Shape, just need to go through and edit/position in the ScanItLibrary software that comes with the system.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Tooth STL's work and import just fine in 3Shape, just need to go through and edit/position in the ScanItLibrary software that comes with the system.

How does the software know what is what and what to move?

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
you have to select points on the stl. like buccal cusps and central fossa etc.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Same with exocad.

There is function to create/edit tooth library.

I'm pretty sure we are going to end up with same features.

Really very close now. I think exocad is just more open already, in regards to supported platforms of implants and the library of various attachments.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I may be Mis understanding. I currently have software that allows me to import an STL file of a tooth shape. I than have to go through steps so exocad knows what is the buccal, lingual, cusp tips etc. is this what you are saying 3shape does as well? Are you saying you just import an STL tooth shape and that's it? As far as I know, you can't just import an STL tooth shape and drop it in place and start manipulating it? Making sure in not severely missing something.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Now on another note, if 3shape software can auto detect and label tooth surfaces.... I will be extremely impressed:) and excited

Y

YMS96

Reaction score
You have to add the anatomy points on the teeth that you import, so it takes some time. You only have to do half of your teeth though because you can mirror them to the other side.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Ahhhhh, ok. Same with exocad.

karabear

karabear

Reaction score
I don't know if this is a rabbit trail or what you were initially inquiring about , but is there an open-source tooth library out there?
K

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I don't know if this is a rabbit trail or what you were initially inquiring about , but is there an open-source tooth library out there?
K

I think Cap/Kastle Mills offer their library for a fee.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
I've had problems importing stl files into a library and getting them in the correct position. Which version of Dental Manager are you using? I'm using 2012 2.7.8.5 software. I haven't tried it again since I got the update this week.

karabear

karabear

Reaction score
DentalDB, version 2010.12. When I worked at Geomagic and made our own tooth library, we had to take the scans into Geomagic Studio and set the correct orientations before we could bring them into the CAD.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Sorry...I'm using 3Shape. I didn't specify that earlier. My Bad.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Kara, for exocad I had to open the tooth STL files in a separate proprietary program. Set mesial, distal, cusps, ridges etc. it then exports that and lets Exocad know what is what when it orients it and you start designing.

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
GEOMAGIC

Kerabear, How far on with Dental, did Geomagic ever get. I have the Everest System and used it every day for over 6 years and really liked Geo but KaVo got in bed with 3Shape(bad move) and they both fell out. I know they brought out Piano but I have never seen a link to it or any demo pics, is it still out there by another name? have they got a bar modual/abutment? Thanks Pete

karabear

karabear

Reaction score
Kara, for exocad I had to open the tooth STL files in a separate proprietary program. Set mesial, distal, cusps, ridges etc. it then exports that and lets Exocad know what is what when it orients it and you start designing.

Just found out the bossman isn't even going to use the library with exocad but with a standard 3D modeling software. I'm glad someone knows what they are doing. I just carve little teeth out of green wax, sheesh.