Sum3d + telescopes

Vazone

Vazone

Reaction score
Plesase help me with it! Problem is - not mill undercuts external :( how to activate 5th axis for it or how to locate it straight for correct milling?

nik1618kin

nik1618kin

Reaction score
Maybe you can use lollipop tool as your first option. You have to check lollipop tool in your strategy, too.

Or you can try this. Check "interrnal Restmill" strategy -> General Parameters-> and then you check: Y axis-NO and Z axis-NO. Then Delimitaion-> Boundary curve->Offset and you write -3 or -3.5. This number depends on the item's height. Of course you have to check the kind of tool that you want to use for this case (and not 0.6mm that is recommended in this strategy).

Vazone

Vazone

Reaction score
i mean this: maybe its possible to rotate in CAM for straight milling without external undercuts?

as017.radikal.ru_i423_1207_ab_b918509ca2c6.jpg
as56.radikal.ru_i154_1207_07_79a2ccf1ac52.jpg
as017.radikal.ru_i423_1207_ab_b918509ca2c6.jpg as56.radikal.ru_i154_1207_07_79a2ccf1ac52.jpg

Last edited:
Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Have you tried the High Quality strategy? We just did a demo for a local lab looking to purchase Sum3D and it took 51min to mill out 2 bicuspid copings with a .06external and internal, it was the most rediculas thing ever but the guy wanted to see the results.

High Quality will go full 5 axis milling but if I recall seeing it, it only goes 5 axis on the internal didn't pay attention to the external part of the milling. Also keep in mind your insertion axis plays a major roll in this as well, what your insertion axis look like?

Dentaleng

Dentaleng

Reaction score
Switch to Delcam
Send me the STL and the tool positions on your DWX 50. I will send you the NC file

Last edited:
nik1618kin

nik1618kin

Reaction score
Have you tried the High Quality strategy? We just did a demo for a local lab looking to purchase Sum3D and it took 51min to mill out 2 bicuspid copings with a .06external and internal, it was the most rediculas thing ever but the guy wanted to see the results.

High Quality will go full 5 axis milling but if I recall seeing it, it only goes 5 axis on the internal didn't pay attention to the external part of the milling. Also keep in mind your insertion axis plays a major roll in this as well, what your insertion axis look like?

I think the only way to achieve external undercut milling is using lollipop tool or

using High quality but you have to change some things: General Parameters-> and then you check: Y axis-NO and Z axis-NO. Then Delimitation-> Boundary curve->Offset and you write -3 or -3.5. This number depends on the item's height. But I admit I haven't tried this before with this particular strategy. I've tried this with Internal Restmill 0.6 succesfully.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
I dont think anyone is reading your question correctly. Your asking how to mill WITHOUT undercuts on the external surface of a telescope coping?
Is this correct?
Assuming I understand your question,
You need to take care of that when your designing. Asking sum3d to do what your asking seems like a lot of trouble, if at all possible.
If your having trouble designing the telescope coping on the designer.... Wax yourself the tele coping and scan as a waxup...
This seems a lot easier than trying to ask sum3d to follow mesh or a plane that isn't there... It doesn't matter how you rotate the coping in the axi of sum 3d.
If you want a tele coping with walls that look surveyed and your having trouble in the designer, just wax it...

Last edited:
Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
I think the only way to achieve external undercut milling is using lollipop tool or

using High quality but you have to change some things: General Parameters-> and then you check: Y axis-NO and Z axis-NO. Then Delimitation-> Boundary curve->Offset and you write -3 or -3.5. This number depends on the item's height. But I admit I haven't tried this before with this particular strategy. I've tried this with Internal Restmill 0.6 succesfully.

Oh yes the lollipop tool, but I think they use those more on a 4 Axis machine, no? Internal restmill with a .06, yeah i tried it and heard the bit hit like 4 spots, 4 very small spots. LOL i was like wth? waste of time for me i guess.

Vazone

Vazone

Reaction score
Oh yes the lollipop tool, but I think they use those more on a 4 Axis machine, no? Internal restmill with a .06, yeah i tried it and heard the bit hit like 4 spots, 4 very small spots. LOL i was like wth? waste of time for me i guess.
Right! so what for 5-th axis? not for that kind of cases?

Vazone

Vazone

Reaction score
So, nobody knows, how to add 5-th axis for external undercuts milling?