Stump shade die spacers

G

Glorydays

Reaction score
What's a good die spacer for stump shades? I want one that isn't finicky with most die lubricants. I've read some spacers require their own lube, and that isn't doable when outsourcing.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Ive never seen colored die spacer, not to mention that physical die spacer is antiquated. Ever think of getting a nice set of markers? Depending on the color of your stone or model, you could just color the die after scanning. Die lube and spacer is hardly in my vocab anymore, are you dipping copings?

G

Glorydays

Reaction score
Ive never seen colored die spacer, not to mention that physical die spacer is antiquated. Ever think of getting a nice set of markers? Depending on the color of your stone or model, you could just color the die after scanning. Die lube and spacer is hardly in my vocab anymore, are you dipping copings?
I'm not dipping dies, but I do still make models for EMAX press. That's what I'm looking to use shaded spacer for, I've seen different brands, wondering which is best.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Good luck, as some of those do smear a bit when they come in contact with die lube. I'm using Harvest Dental's version. George Taub has their version as well as ADS (DVA?) but I believe that system is water-based. Call Taub or Harvest Dental and see what they have to say. I use them for the same reasons as you, as well as for veneer cases and translucent zirconia cases.

G

Glorydays

Reaction score
Good luck, as some of those do smear a bit when they come in contact with die lube. I'm using Harvest Dental's version. George Taub has their version as well as ADS (DVA?) but I believe that system is water-based. Call Taub or Harvest Dental and see what they have to say. I use them for the same reasons as you, as well as for veneer cases and translucent zirconia cases.
I've been contemplating Harvest Dental, wanted some input first. Thank you

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
So how do you do this, paint the die spacer, scan, then add no spacer to the CAD design? I always used the TAK spacer, it was awesome and smooth, but what a nightmare when you steam it or have to work on it. Im glad those days are over, not going back.

G

Glorydays

Reaction score
So how do you do this, paint the die spacer, scan, then add no spacer to the CAD design? I always used the TAK spacer, it was awesome and smooth, but what a nightmare when you steam it or have to work on it. Im glad those days are over, not going back.
I still use TAK for gold and pfms, I havn't found anything better. I guess I am antiquated, I don't use CAD. I am however, looking at getting a scanner soon. That'll be a task, finding the right one! I'll be asking that on here as well...... stay tuned haha

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
The last time I saw stump colored die spacers was like 20 years ago IIRC...Hmmmm2

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
The last time I saw stump colored die spacers was like 20 years ago IIRC...Hmmmm2
Remember the actual light-cured stumph material by Ivoclar? That's when the colored die spacer really came in handy to avoid all that time, labor, and cost for that stuff.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Remember the actual light-cured stumph material by Ivoclar? That's when the colored die spacer really came in handy to avoid all that time, labor, and cost for that stuff.
Yep, that too. But, at least those old triad light cure machines had something to do...

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I still use the ivoclar material, I only need a stump when Im glazing. I cant see glazing on a painted die. But then again, I cant see myself without a scanner and mill either..

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
Actually hate to admit but the Ivoclar stuff is the best choice as it mimics translucency of the underlying prep. Tried DVA but you're dealing with Complete Opacity with these products. Makes a World of difference in being accurate on shade as far as I have experienced. A pain but actually quick and repeatable. Leafs to a better outcome which means profit. Total Opaque dies don't even get close after many trials. It's really shocking in the difference, thinking, cool, I have done what I'm supposed to do but when you see the difference it will kind of alarm you. Preps are Never 100% opaque and really throw you a bad curveball. Really hope this helps some, been around the block on this one. Dave some pain and buy what was a actually developed for this reason. I'm not a huge fan of Ivo but had to concede to this particular product. Must have huge patents protecting it as it's in a league of their own. Worth it!

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
Actually hate to admit but the Ivoclar stuff is the best choice as it mimics translucency of the underlying prep. Tried DVA but you're dealing with Complete Opacity with these products. Makes a World of difference in being accurate on shade as far as I have experienced. A pain but actually quick and repeatable. Leafs to a better outcome which means profit. Total Opaque dies don't even get close after many trials. It's really shocking in the difference, thinking, cool, I have done what I'm supposed to do but when you see the difference it will kind of alarm you. Preps are Never 100% opaque and really throw you a bad curveball. Really hope this helps some, been around the block on this one. Dave some pain and buy what was a actually developed for this reason. I'm not a huge fan of Ivo but had to concede to this particular product. Must have huge patents protecting it as it's in a league of their own. Worth it!
Leaves to a better, not Leafs ...ever🤣 Take some pain, not Dave geeesse! Auto non- correct.

desertfox384

desertfox384

Reaction score
I used perfect match spacers for years - they worked ok, and do match up to Ivoclar’s stump guide.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score

Oh, I agree and see and know the difference you're talking about, but for the time, cost, labor, and annoyance I found in making those and using them, wasn't worth it. Besides, my accounts and patients aren't complaining otherwise :)

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
What's a good die spacer for stump shades? I want one that isn't finicky with most die lubricants. I've read some spacers require their own lube, and that isn't doable when outsourcing.
We always made dye from composite to
match the stump shade after lubricating the e max internally.