STL Model files

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
Does anyone have any .stl model files that they could share?
I'm talking ones that have been run through model builder with the mounts for the articulator.

I get IO scans from a client that are in .stl format but when I get the scans back after they are run through model builder I get a .dcm file.

I don't have model builder because we are outsourcing models at the moment and are looking to take them in house with a printer but not sure what printer to get.

I want to try and get a few samples from different printers, but most places want .stl format.

or if someone knows hoe to convert them?

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
sounds like you have 3shape.
i have an stl file somewhere...but terrible impression scan, never went anywhere and the client since purchased a cerec. i now see him at the office when i am across the street eating dinner.
at 830pm

i bet he is loving it!

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
My client is using DDX to send me the IO scans and they are in .stl format. Then I send the scans to get the model made because I don't have model builder.

They run the scans through model builder and when they send me the case digitally the scans are in .dcm format. I wonder if on their end they could just change the output to .stl

Yeah I still use 3shape to design the restorations. I just import the the file and start designing.

Thanks for the scan. I will see if I could get some samples. Do you have the preps for that scan as well?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Does anyone have any .stl model files that they could share?
I'm talking ones that have been run through model builder with the mounts for the articulator.

I get IO scans from a client that are in .stl format but when I get the scans back after they are run through model builder I get a .dcm file.

I don't have model builder because we are outsourcing models at the moment and are looking to take them in house with a printer but not sure what printer to get.

I want to try and get a few samples from different printers, but most places want .stl format.

or if someone knows hoe to convert them?
the only reason they arent coming out as stl is because your material and manufacturer are not set correctly in your control panel.

so open it up, go to your Manufacturing Processes section, find the process by which you know your material is created, and ensure it is using CADOutputRawStl.dll in the "manufacturing processes method" box 2nd or 3rd from the top of the page.

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
I'm not building the models they are outsourced. I send them .stl.... I get returned .dcm
I think it has to do with them being run through model builder.
It changes the files to .dcm

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
I'm not building the models they are outsourced. I send them .stl.... I get returned .dcm
I think it has to do with them being run through model builder.
It changes the files to .dcm
nothing to do with model builder.

you are sending to idiots.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
that would be supremely useless. dcm is 3shape proprietary format, no printer in the world would be able to read it. i hope you didnt pay those people.

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
Well yeah, I know that. It's so you can design the case in 3shape.