Select Mill, Game Changer or Lab Killer

C

charles007

Reaction score
Now that I got your attention on what appears to be a great mill to buy, lets talk about how this mill could change our lab industry forever.
If its true ? emax blocks for this mill will have a new holder and the blocks will sell for $15.00 . This makes it a very exciting mill if your doing a lot of emax or not, and especially to load it up with the changer and mill after hours. The Select can be bought with an 8 disk holder that hold 6 blocks per holder. On the surface this sounds like a game changer for us labs until I thought about who the biggest buyer of emax blocks..... Cerec doctors all over the world !
What if Ivoclar sells this new holder to Patterson to sell to all Cerec users all over the world so they can buy blocks at almost half price.This plan could easily double the sell of blocks, and new Cerec mills would be on back order from the long line of doctors itching to get rid of their lab bills. Even used Cerewrecks on ebay would fly off the shelves...
In the near future we're going to see new LD ingots and blocks that are cheaper and zirconia will continue to improve.
Any thoughts and ideas on how to stay in business ? Maybe I should jump ship and get a job with Patterson to sell Cerec mills to doctors... lol

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
Here's what comes to mind for me. A capitol investment of 70k just mill eMax. Blue blocks at $15, burs I imagine are another $30 to $40 and the liquid coolant say $100 for a gallon of oil mixed with distiller water. Here is the thing how many units can you get out of a set of burs, how many units have to be milled before you change out the coolant tank? I don't see the auto changer helping that much? If you can only mill so many units on a set of burs or so many units before you change the coolant tank how does the auto changer help you? You can't load up 20 units and let it ride?

Also if the blue blocks are only $15 that's great but you are paying 70k just to mill eMax and you have to be out of your mind to spend that much just for eMax. So you are probably averaging more then $30 a unit?

You have to be able to mill other products then just eMax to be able to get a good ROI for the mill. That's why the 450i is great it does it all and not just locked down to milling eMax.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Well, it can mill approximately 15 units in between fluid change. It holds 16 burs and can switch to new burs during a mill cycle.

I have no idea about the mill time per unit, but if it's around 25 minutes, your looking at approximately 7 to 8 hours of uninterrupted milling. Maybe they plan for you to load up an 8 hour job each evening? And then run another 8 hour cycle during the day? I assume you can remove a finished holder while the machine is still operating?

I agree about buying a $70,000 mill for emax only. I have been thinking a lot about it. It uses square mandrel blocks like an E4D. I guess if a revolutionary new material was introduced that required wet milling, they could incorporate it into that mandrel system? Or design an interchangeable holder? Of course me supposing means nothing... Lol

C

charles007

Reaction score
Have no interest in the mill, just interested in how it all plays out with lower priced blocks, and being bought by doctors using Cerec .
Coolant problem ? what if the mill come with a dual coolant container that changes over after so many hours.
Twenty five units is what I'm hearing on tool life from 2 different non cerec mills..
Anywhere near 70k and only mill emax in my mind is foolish.. just saying

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
One year of milling eMax....that mill will need to be rebuilt.

You need a much, much larger mill to go Eight Hours every day running that material if you want your machine to make it Five-Ten years+.

DMG, HAAS, Roeders, Mikron, etc.... Nothing else except for doing it for fun, on occasion with little mills.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I just got it on Friday and hooked everything up today, will know more this week, Its seems very well built. The cam is different and the tools are longer and the strats from my first look are completely different than my MINI. The CNC software I believe is VHF's as the gui is similar to their cam but the cam is definitely DentalSoftworks.

Learning 5x and loading up a couple of full arch cases and going home has me pumped.

C

charles007

Reaction score
I think I'm in love with your 2 lesbian mills, right shapely looking lol
Have you named them yet

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
cerec doctors will not be able to buy the blocks at $15 - they still have to go through patterson.

It's only $15 if you buy a select

Sam-CAP

Sam-CAP

Reaction score
Isn't the $15 block only for the block new holder? The Cerec style block will still be from Patterson only, I think?

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
Is the new select the same mill as VHF 5 S-1??

C

charles007

Reaction score
cerec doctors will not be able to buy the blocks at $15 - they still have to go through patterson.

It's only $15 if you buy a select
True today, will that change in the future ? Patterson and Ivoclar are so connected selling emax.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
True today, will that change in the future ? Patterson and Ivoclar are so connected selling emax.

I wouldn't say Ivocar and Patterson are so connected. Patterson had an exclusivity deal with Sirona and I would say Ivoclar partnered with Sirona.

Why would a manufacturer only want to sell via one seller? So if you've bought into CEREC you have to go through patterson..

All Ivoclar direct buyers have a different deal

C

charles007

Reaction score
What's to keep Patterson from changing the block holder on all Cerecs to accept the $15.00 blocks ? that was my main point in this thread. This could end up being a game changer ?? who knows ?

Top Bottom