Section implant models?

M

Markyboy

Reaction score
I have a problem with one of my doctors saying the inter proximal contacts on my implant cases are tight.
If I have a bridge I never section the model in between abutment-pontic-abutment but I do section off the adjacent teeth. I find it easier to work with.

I was just going to "lighten up contacts" for that Dr. but my question is.
Should I not be sectioning my implant models at all?

Thanks
Marcus

My regular C&B cases are sectioned but I fit to a solid model for inter proximal contacts.

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
I dont section my implant models and i leave my contacts lighter than regular crowns.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I don't section as well, contacts have not been an issue, are you using a low expansion stone?

Do you normally check contacts on a solid model for this clients standard crown and bridge work? Same stone?

My first gig in this business the client used buff stone for the contact model. I always wondered how the higher expansion stone didn't essentially leave open contacts.

Sometimes when I think I know something then I see someone else do something so different and it works for them, its hard to figure out what the correct way is :)

victormasi

victormasi

Reaction score
Yep'
Sectioning models on implant cases is a no-no. The implant fixture is "ankilosed" so if you leave the contacts a tad wide and snug the adjacent dentition will will move and accomodate the tight contact, but leaving the contacts light creates a food impaction issue, and you know that the interdental papilla is already compromised, so do not cut the model. You can make a clean "break" of one of the adjacent teeth, say the distal, get your mesial contact dead-on, then re-glue the distal and finish up.

Ciao

keithw@vodamail.co.za

[email protected]

Reaction score
I section the model on one side of the implant only so on unsectioned side you know contact will be spot on and I just do a slightly light contact on the sectioned side, that way I can still remove the die so to speak for ease of working and handling. Kind of a compromise?

corona

corona

Reaction score
i dont section the implant cases either . reason is you need a solid cast to do final seating and occlusion . i find it harder to work with than a sectioned model but in the long run its what is best .... so no sectioning of implant cases here .

M

Markyboy

Reaction score
Thanks to all who responded.
Always nice to learn something new. :p
I will not be sectioning implant model anymore