scanners what to buy

2oothguy

2oothguy

Reaction score
Looking to get a scanner. What to buy? Need someone who can also offer training too. I know there will be a lot of options on this. Don't want to pay a yearly fee for the right to use my scanner either. This will be our first scanner to and we hope we can get a mill to in the future. Any help would be great.

MAFCDL

MAFCDL

Reaction score
I wouldn't immediately disregard a system that has a yearly user fee. Don't think of the fee as a "right to use" charge, think of it as a right to have the latest and greatest. This industry is going to continue to change rapidly - a couple thousand a year to stay relevant is a small price to pay.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Scanners for use with exocad will not require you to pay a yearly fee, but as mentioned above, you will want to get software updates as the improve the way the hardware performs.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
don't mistake a simple clean interface with underpowered and poor performing. 3shape have worked really hard (since 2006) making their system the most streamlined easy-to-use system around.

i think theyve done a good job at it.

the cost of the scanner on a yearly basis amounts to no more than your lunch cost per day. for it you get the benefit of fully up to date software, free support, and some strong security in the form of your high powered dongle.

Yusuf

Yusuf

Reaction score
don't mistake a simple clean interface with underpowered and poor performing. 3shape have worked really hard (since 2006) making their system the most streamlined easy-to-use system around.

i think theyve done a good job at it.

the cost of the scanner on a yearly basis amounts to no more than your lunch cost per day. for it you get the benefit of fully up to date software, free support, and some strong security in the form of your high powered dongle.
Hey Luke , what is the yearly fee that is normally paid?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
that is not an easy number to figure out.

it depends on what modules you purchase, and varies from retailer to retailer.

your basic CAD package base line price is like 15k (CDN) and per year 2k so div over the days of work per year is the price of a cup of coffee per day.

but again that varies from retailer to retailer. add the Partials module for another 4k per year, implants are 5k, etc etc. implant studio is expected to retail in the 10's of k.

then add how many seats you want in the dongle.

a daunting price for sure - but remember even at its maximum you're recouping the cost of the license within the first unit you make per day.

2oothguy

2oothguy

Reaction score
So 3shape in your option is the best system? What about training? Do you have to pay the fee's every year. Looking scan multiple singles and bridges. Implants too. Which 3shape system would you recommend?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
that again varies from retailer to retailer. some offer low prices and poor training and daft support; others arent so easy to sweet talk into lower prices but offer great training and fantastic support.

if i were you (assuming you are in the USA) i'd start budgeting for a 3day session over at CAP-us.com's physical on-site manufacturing facility to get a better idea what you're up against. those guys can walk you through the preliminary foundational work behind scanning technology as it pertains to a greater number of systems and can demonstrate the shortcomings and upsides of all the things you need in your business and what you desire to do with your scanner.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
i won't mince words here i love the 3shape system despite its known shortcomings and cost. i love it because i have been using it since 2006.

but i think exocad has a certain great quality to it too; its like comparing two fine alcohols. you got your Midleton Very rare, and your Johnny walker Blue. each has their own good qualities and its very hard to choose the better of the two because they are both best in class.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
i won't mince words here i love the 3shape system despite its known shortcomings and cost. i love it because i have been using it since 2006.

but i think exocad has a certain great quality to it too; its like comparing two fine alcohols. you got your Midleton Very rare, and your Johnny walker Blue. each has their own good qualities and its very hard to choose the better of the two because they are both best in class.
I'll take the Middleton Rare. That stuff is great.

2oothguy

2oothguy

Reaction score
that again varies from retailer to retailer. some offer low prices and poor training and daft support; others arent so easy to sweet talk into lower prices but offer great training and fantastic support.

if i were you (assuming you are in the USA) i'd start budgeting for a 3day session over at CAP-us.com's physical on-site manufacturing facility to get a better idea what you're up against. those guys can walk you through the preliminary foundational work behind scanning technology as it pertains to a greater number of systems and can demonstrate the shortcomings and upsides of all the things you need in your business and what you desire to do with your scanner.

Yes in NC. We do about 600 units a year right now. So I know I need to get more involved in the digital world. Plus I am a control freak so it's never good enough. Just don't know what other labs use and what are the good and bad of the systems. But basically just doing singles and bridges now. But don't want a system that I will be tossing out in a year or two. So that's why I am asking the experts here.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
in that case let me help narrow your vision a bit.

avoid systems such as Laserdenta, dentalwings, and for obvious reasons Cerec.

most CADCAM companies have hardware and software components: 3shape makes scanners and software where exocad does not. exocad expects you to have a scanner and will expect you to know how to plug in the software to it. it is the system people go for after having bend over backwards with another cadcam company and regrettably can't iron out its issues.

3shape and companies like Lava or Nobel will try to sell you a package. a scanner and a computer and a mill, and try to be your best buddy for a slice of your pie.

if you only want to get into scanning and designing your own units you're in a much better position to evaluate your finished product than someone who bought all the components at once and is now pulling hair out trying to determine where his shortcomings are.

in both exocad and 3shape you are openended. you can plug in a mill or printer later if you choose, with very little needed to get it running. neither are systems you'll be "done" with in 3-5 years time. for exocad however you will need someone to help you associate your scanner with the design suite, so if you go down that road you're going to have to do some scanner number research - certain companies offer their scanners sans software such as Medit or Steinbichler. then again some retailers offer those scanners plus a copy of exocad with 1 year free updates (you pay for updates past that point)

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
exocad expects you to have a scanner and will expect you to know how to plug in the software to it. it is the system people go for after having bend over backwards with another cadcam company and regrettably can't iron out its issues.

Most exocad resellers are also resellers of scanners. They will be able to figure this all out for you. They also are support for the scanners that they sell.

C

charles007

Reaction score
If your interested in a used scanner, one of our members has a Medit SE for sale at 8k not including computer.. He just bought a new Medit Blue less than 3 weeks ago..
If your interested, shoot me a PM with your tel # and I will forward and explain why you will want/need yearly updates...fyi 3shape scanners take a nap if you don't pay the yearly license fee !
fyi I live under Carolina Blue skies also... NC
Charles

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
the simple answer is medit/exocad or 3shape.
and will everyone please stop with the annual fee scare tactic? I just paid my annual fee (for the first time) and the cost of that fee is figured into my crowns. price yours accordingly. this annual fee also includes support when I need it all year round too (no additional fee there for me from my reseller). yes, its a fee that I HAVE to pay....but YES I want to stay atop the advancements in the technology and I do want really great support when I have hiccups .... like I had this week.

can other systems work, of course....but when you cut corners you do end up with lackluster results. do things the right way, technology is changing too fast. at the end of the day go sit down in front of a few systems and figure it out for yourself. theres no better training than hands on working with it.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
3Shape has a special on the new D750 & D850 that includes 3 years no licensing fees. I believe this special runs for the second quarter or through the end of June. When it comes to scanner and CAD I think the CAD is probably more important than the scanner. Don't forget about quality support!

2oothguy

2oothguy

Reaction score
Thanks guys looks like I need to check out the 3shape and exocad. Just don't want to make a 10 15 thousand dollar mistake. Buying something and wishing I would have got the other.

2oothguy

2oothguy

Reaction score
If your interested in a used scanner, one of our members has a Medit SE for sale at 8k not including computer.. He just bought a new Medit Blue less than 3 weeks ago..
If your interested, shoot me a PM with your tel # and I will forward and explain why you will want/need yearly updates...fyi 3shape scanners take a nap if you don't pay the yearly license fee !
fyi I live under Carolina Blue skies also... NC
Charles
OK I may do that. But if bought a medit blue maybe I should look into that too.

Top Bottom