Scanner Monitor,, Computer or LED, LCD ?

C

charles007

Reaction score
Need a little help the on type and size of monitor to order within the next 10 Days to use with my Delcam scanner that will come later this month.
Will be up and running the first 2 weeks of Jan. with scanner /miller or earlier.

I'm looking at 30" computer monitors that start at $1000. and up, or the new 32" LED'S or LCD tv's that are slightly cheaper. Next choice would be a 37" LED TV. Would like to keep the price around $1000. or lower. Any of these choices are with-in the $1000. range, and even TV's up to 50"
This would be used in a 3 man lab with me using most of the time, so the extra $$ cost above a 24" + monitor or tv is not an issue.
Delcam minimum resolution is 1280 x 1024 .
recommended resolution is 1920 x 1200

Let's hear from the experts, please name brands and specs.

Charles

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score

Charles

For the CT scanners we use Dell Ultrasharp 27", everthing else is mostly Dell professional or a mish mash of whatever we have lying around.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Need a little help the on type and size of monitor to order within the next 10 Days to use with my Delcam scanner that will come later this month.
Will be up and running the first 2 weeks of Jan. with scanner /miller or earlier.

I'm looking at 30" computer monitors that start at $1000. and up, or the new 32" LED'S or LCD tv's that are slightly cheaper. Next choice would be a 37" LED TV. Would like to keep the price around $1000. or lower. Any of these choices are with-in the $1000. range, and even TV's up to 50"
This would be used in a 3 man lab with me using most of the time, so the extra $$ cost above a 24" + monitor or tv is not an issue.
Delcam minimum resolution is 1280 x 1024 .
recommended resolution is 1920 x 1200

Charles

Hi Charles,

The best investment in your eyes is going with a monitor that is not to large for your workspace. Its very easy to get excited and think bigger is better but depending on where you will be working and the position of your keyboard/mouse will determine a monitor choice that is more suited to the task. I have several monitors larger than 24" and truthfully unless the desk will allow you to sit father back than most it will feel like your right on top of the screen. Our newest COS work station came with a wide view Dell monitor and I find it a very nice monitor to work with. I will post the size and shape on Monday.

Have a great weekend.

John

C

charles007

Reaction score
Thanks John, that's exactly what I'm worried about....monitor in my face....
I was thinking a computer monitor in the 30" size might be a better match if not to large. If a larger size will help in full contour even slightly, and make it more fun to design, what the hay with a bigger price tag.

Will need to set up/buy, build etc. a new work station for the scanner and monitor, so I'm open to any ideas and PICTURES,,,,, what works and bad ideas...
Really need to visit a few digital labs with my camera......

Please keep the ideas and pictures flowing in.....

Thanks to all :)

Last edited:
harmonylab

harmonylab

Reaction score
don't know how a 30" monitor would be, but 40" are definitely too big for a typical desk. constantly looking up wasn't very fun, I've found

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
Probably one of the biggest frustrations for me, is that we built this building in 1984, and it was designed for the technology that was relevant at the time. We only thought we'd need a bunsen burner, handpiece and maybe a furnace at each station.

In our next lab, we will probably just use modular cubicles. We have showhorned in monitors based on available space, or what have you, and in a lot ocases had to disregard ergonomics etc.. Not my proudest set of pictures, but maybe someone will learn from it?

ai3.photobucket.com_albums_y79_Ngagi_DSC_0217.jpg

ai3.photobucket.com_albums_y79_Ngagi_DSC_0219.jpg

ai3.photobucket.com_albums_y79_Ngagi_DSC_0221.jpg

ai3.photobucket.com_albums_y79_Ngagi_DSC_0222.jpg

ai3.photobucket.com_albums_y79_Ngagi_DSC_0227.jpg

ai3.photobucket.com_albums_y79_Ngagi_DSC_0230.jpg
ai3.photobucket.com_albums_y79_Ngagi_DSC_0217.jpg ai3.photobucket.com_albums_y79_Ngagi_DSC_0219.jpg ai3.photobucket.com_albums_y79_Ngagi_DSC_0221.jpg ai3.photobucket.com_albums_y79_Ngagi_DSC_0222.jpg ai3.photobucket.com_albums_y79_Ngagi_DSC_0227.jpg ai3.photobucket.com_albums_y79_Ngagi_DSC_0230.jpg

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
The wide screen dell monitors that are in these pictures are great, I have the same Dell system that 3m configures for the COS. I like the extra landscape and the height doesn't force you to look up and down.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Display resolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What are you guys talking about??
Let's get nerdy with this stuff.
My Alienware Laptops have WFHD or just HD (1920x1080p) resolution stuffed into a 15.6" frame.
You have to squint at 1" to see a pixle. You really have to have your face to the screen before you "cube-out". The size is too small for production desktop use, but the resolution at that size looks awesome!

The two main elements are the resolution and size, not just size.

Some big TV style monitors have very large pixles, even far away.

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I have many 19" 1440x900 on multi-display set-ups close together, but those are old school and cheap (2x 1440x900 for each computer)
version of a WXGA resolution. It's kinda sucky now in 2010. I need to up my game to HDs or better. (Charles, get a WUXGA 1920x1200) Doesn't matter what size, it still shows the exact same data.
Pick size by how far away you are sitting. 30" is waaay to big for only two feet away.

If you are not trying to do photography on computers, then just get anything without large speakers. I like the glassy monitors and not the glare-resistant screens with the almost sand-blasted effect.

Called Tru-life, or all sorts of buzz words by varioous manufactures.

Last edited:
Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
What are you guys talking about??
Let's get nerdy with this stuff.

You're too hard core for me man.

I would like to harness your geek powers though and have you find a way to make a scanner, network connection, monitor, keyboard and mouse that are absolutely wireless (okay, I have the mouse already at some stations).

I hate all the friggin cables all over the place, and how hard it is to keep things clean with all that junk everywhere!

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
You're too hard core for me man.

I would like to harness your geek powers though and have you find a way to make a scanner, network connection, monitor, keyboard and mouse that are absolutely wireless (okay, I have the mouse already at some stations).

I hate all the friggin cables all over the place, and how hard it is to keep things clean with all that junk everywhere!

Dont you mean harness the wires? :D:D:D:D:D JK

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Charles go to a store close by and check out the large screen hooked up to a computer from a normal working distance. Open up four screens in quads and see if that would work for you. I mentioned earlier that you should get a large screen and that still holds true, maybe a 30" but I will echo what *** said regarding resolution also. You dont necessarily have to use the whole screen to view the scanned file. Some software take up valuable real estate with their drop down windows and side bars etc. The other advantage is you can share that viewing area for something else,,,Like DLN ;) to keep updated. :D

Think about it, a 30 " is like 4 15" laptops. popcorn

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Think about it, a 30 " is like 4 15" laptops. popcorn

Ok, in physical size. But not in resolution.

You cannot fit the same data as four 15" monitors on a 30", just because it has the same surface area. Actually, the 30" will only show the same image/data as just one 15"....only four times larger. Nothing will be gained except extending the viewing distance. It would be much worse than four 15" monitors IMO.

I have two graphics card in one computer that could power up to four monitors. But, I have them physicaly linked together (crossfire SLA technology configuration) and now I can only hook up one monitor to each card. I like having two monitors, and each has it's own graphic card, but both cards are linked together.

Make any sense?? I think I said that correctly?

So, we would need to back-up and check out your computer's specs Charles before a serious decision could be made.... by me at least.

I love two monitors and would rather have two cheap monitors than one big axz unit.

Does your new scanner run 64bit software? How much RAM do you have? That would have a factor on how much extra Video memory you may need on your video card(s). Which then, leads up to the monitor(s) selection.

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Now, let's reallly back up....

On our 3M scanners, we can have up to FOUR modeling instances running at once!

One that can scan, and up to three other design windows running all at once!

So, we actually could run four monitors and have a real reason. A seperate case on three monitors and scanning or designing on the fourth!

Charles, can you open two modeling instances at once?

Or, scan and design at the same time??

Then, you NEED two monitors IMO.

If you get two, then do not get the wide-screens. Get two square versions.
It would be 2x QXGA or 2X UXGA. Those are both more square and would be ideal for dual monitors.

If getting just one, go wide! You'll be looking at a WUXGA or even a WQXGA

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
This is awesome for doing a nested scan of multiple cases, then going in simultinaously and opening/working on three or four at once. This can make your head explode with so much going on, so we have all employees wear safty helmets and seat-belts while on this ride!

Charles, this is why I did not bother to give you an answer in email or PM. My answers will get you more cornfused than when you first started! LOL

Sometimes, my employee Lauren has up to twenty Windows running at once, while trying to text and talk on the phone. It takes practice.
She has ebay, youtube, pandora, billing software, UPS tracking, emails, FTP sites, Lava downloads, scanning, designing, printing out crap. All with one little mouse that gets the crap clicked out of it!

Last edited:
JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
The two biggest factor as Scott is trying to illustrate which will save your eyes is Resolution and Refresh rate. Generally the bigger the screen the lower the resolution compared to the real estate you have to work with. Refresh rate is more to do with your vid card but you have to have a monitor that can refresh the highest resolution above 75hz for flicker free use. The higher the refresh rate number your monitor can handle the better.

As for Scott's SLA set up back in the day when Quake was the baddest of the bad-ass on-line games I thought I was hardcore with my pentium200mmx with two MatoroxMelleniums running sla over an ISDN line. I had the absolute best ping around. I was very much hated in Quake world :) I think the 2 video cards cost as much as the entire computer but boy could it draw them polygons fast.

Yeah I geek out from time to time.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Many thanks to all on this hard subject to understand......

I looked at several computer monitors 24" to 30". In the 24" range, resolution is 1920x1080....same resolution for LCD or LED TV'S.
Wide Screen Computer monitors, 27" resolution 2560x1440
30" resolution 2560x1600

Graphics card Nvidia Quadro 2000 ...memory 1 GB GDDR3... Quadro 4000 2GB
Delcam recommends Quadro models, several to choose from. Not cheap !
Scott, 64 bit computer and 64 bit Delcam Software.
Computer i7 2.93 Ram 8GB

Any advantage buying monitor with higher resolution, such as 2590x1440, or 2560x1600 over the cheaper priced monitor or TV that has 1920x1080..

Edit: I will not be doing 100's of units per day

Last edited:
dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Ok, in physical size. But not in resolution.

You cannot fit the same data as four 15" monitors on a 30", just because it has the same surface area. Actually, the 30" will only show the same image/data as just one 15"....only four times larger. Nothing will be gained except extending the viewing distance. It would be much worse than four 15" monitors IMO.

I have two graphics card in one computer that could power up to four monitors. But, I have them physicaly linked together (crossfire SLA technology configuration) and now I can only hook up one monitor to each card. I like having two monitors, and each has it's own graphic card, but both cards are linked together.

Make any sense?? I think I said that correctly?

So, we would need to back-up and check out your computer's specs Charles before a serious decision could be made.... by me at least.
I love two monitors and would rather have two cheap monitors than one big axz unit.

Does your new scanner run 64bit software? How much RAM do you have? That would have a factor on how much extra Video memory you may need on your video card(s). Which then, leads up to the monitor(s) selection.

*** are you saying you're the only one quliified enough to assist and make a decision? If thats not the case then ignore; I'm a bit sensitive today;) Seriously though the analogy I used may not have been accurate as you so geekily pointed out, I was simply and humourously suggesting the option of having multiple windows open, displayed on the desktop so on can view multiple apps at one time Like in the photo UL:DLN; BL:pIC MGR, and RT:MESH LAB. So if space is limited for multiple monitors like you're suggesting a large hi def might the bill. The rest of the stuff like SLA etc I dont know chit about, you're right.:D

And *** you're absolutely right in regards to resolution .
DSC04250.jpg

Last edited:
C

charles007

Reaction score
I know this is a basic question... when would you want, or need 2 monitors. I'm just a small operations, and don't have any desire to be a milling lab.
I keep seeing 2 monitors in cad/cam labs,,, is it just the larger higher production labs that need 2.
Cordless sounds sweet... maybe not practical ?

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I tried to ask ya....

Can your new software scan and design at the same time?

My scanners can do four things at once!

We can have two screens of design with no/sensor
and two more screens that are incorporated w/scanner.

Than we have the CAM software and many other things running.

So.....using two monitors at once is great! I wish we had the output
for four! I'd use them all! (talking about the real 3M Dell computers, not something I made)

Depends on your software.

Then, once you find that out....it's time to go shopping for monitor(s)

Ask, "Can I scan and design at same time in two windows?"
or "How many windows of design can I open at oonce?"

1=1 monitor
2=2 monitor IMO

Last edited:
Top Bottom