Used technology: opportunity or regret

R

rkycdt

Reaction score
I am knee deep in decision-making and you folks have been immeasurably valuable in helping me understand how to navigate the options. I continue to need your insight...

I have conducted a few searches but not come up with much regarding the viability of used equipment in the digital world. Used analog is pretty straightforward, but there are so many things to consider when looking into used technology. I am hoping to clear up a few questions here:

I am completely new to this and so I understand the value in the training and support that comes with buying new from a good reseller. The biggest question is - is it even worth considering used equipment for someone who has had no experience? Can scanning and design be learned through purchased seminars, online tutorials and trial and error?

If it is worth considering (balanced with the fact that I could plausibly buy into an introductory set by simply writing a check and not having to finance - yet) how old is too old? Can (well maintained, updated) 6/7 year old scanner and software get me through a couple of years or more before upgrading?

And, how easily does this type of thing change hands? Is the support transferrable? I realize this is likely company dependent, but in most cases?

The thought that I could just buy in is very appealing. Would I later regret it?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
is it worth considering used equipment? absolutely. can it be learned through purchased seminars etc, depends on the reseller.

many OEM vendors have machines they refurbish or have bought back from customers who were dissatisfied for one reason or another and whose experience could not be rectified. it happens from time to time.

used equipment doesn't have to be outdated, people can be dissatisfied with a product no matter when it was made. however there is also liquidation of old product as new product enters the market; for example the Medit i700 was just launched a week ago. Medit i500 sellers are having sales now on stocked i500's because the new product is new. theres deals to be had out there for this specific product right now.

the question of support transfer is a question to ask that support group. for example if you buy exocad from one vendor but you don't like their support because they arent timely in response or they only carry bank hours, or they can't fix your issues, you can do a dongle transfer whereby you let your vendor know you want to transfer the dongle to some other vendor. your current vendor contacts exocad, exocad contacts your preferred vendor to complete the chain of communication and it only takes a couple of days to get new contracts written and servers updated.

it is worth getting used equipment that works, indeed a pitfall for a new user. this is why i say ask OEM vendors for refurbished equipment.

R

rkycdt

Reaction score
let me clarify support transfer - I don't mean from one group to another, but from one tech to another. If I buy software from a retiree, will their purchase company continue to support the product but with a new user?

used is outdated.
Is software outdated even if it has been updated annually? I realize the PC will be on its way out.

Is it plausible to get established (with older technology and without the finance debt) and then re-invest with the security of added income and established work?

Is the bulk majority of all of this outrageously expensive equipment really put out to pasture in 5 years time? Are all of you who are invested already, large and small, re-investing every 5 years in similar lump sums as you did when you first invested?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
refurbished or overstock is not used.
most accountants write off equipment costs over a 5 year period.
software is not equipment

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
let me clarify support transfer - I don't mean from one group to another, but from one tech to another. If I buy software from a retiree, will their purchase company continue to support the product but with a new user?

Is software outdated even if it has been updated annually? I realize the PC will be on its way out.

Is it plausible to get established (with older technology and without the finance debt) and then re-invest with the security of added income and established work?

Is the bulk majority of all of this outrageously expensive equipment really put out to pasture in 5 years time? Are all of you who are invested already, large and small, re-investing every 5 years in similar lump sums as you did when you first invested?
Can't recall the name of the famous book at this moment , wealth building is the subject. Here's a quote from it though. " If you can pay off a new piece of equipment within a year with new work it's a slam dunk" May not be the exact words but you get the gist.
This would likely be easy with a scanner, printer etc as you can now offer new products and workflows with the new equipment. Our printer, for example, easily paid for itself in far less than a year. When you get into mills and supporting sintering furnaces, that's where you would maybe lease over 5 years as it gets depreciated 20% per year.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
If I had the skills of a Cuban auto mechanic then used is the way to go.
Otherwise new comes with a warranty and more importantly support.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Can't recall the name of the famous book at this moment , wealth building is the subject. Here's a quote from it though. " If you can pay off a new piece of equipment within a year with new work it's a slam dunk" May not be the exact words but you get the gist.
This would likely be easy with a scanner, printer etc as you can now offer new products and workflows with the new equipment. Our printer, for example, easily paid for itself in far less than a year. When you get into mills and supporting sintering furnaces, that's where you would maybe lease over 5 years as it gets depreciated 20% per year.
is this book called The E Myth

?

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score

If you buy from a colleague, contact the OEM and ask if the software/license is transferred with the PC/Scanner!

If you buy a scanner from a couple years ago, it will be equally functional as it was new. As long as you pay license or upgrade fees, you will get the newest and greatest scanning/designing/milling software. What may need an upgrade, if you buy used (and even if you buy new 'cough' 3shape 'cough') is the PC. Depending on what you want to do, you may want to upgrade the RAM, graphics card or the whole computer, depending on its age.

So, if you can get a fairly new, used scanner, for a good price, why not? It may allow you to dab into digital and safe some money, you may use later for additional equipment.

But make sure you buy the right equipment! I bought a new D1000 3shape scanner, almost 5 years ago. Today I would NOT buy a scanner that does not take an articulator!!!

B

Bryce D

Reaction score
If you want some great equipment I am selling mine aprox 2 years old I could show you the basics and help you get going, there are pictures in the classifieds on this site and my contact info .

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
This is the one. Unfortunately never quite followed it very well 🙃

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210423-004110.png
    Screenshot_20210423-004110.png
    486.3 KB · Views: 0
Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
-------------

But make sure you buy the right equipment! I bought a new D1000 3shape scanner, almost 5 years ago. Today I would NOT buy a scanner that does not take an articulator!!!

Agree, let alone having to open and close the door for every scan. We bought ours at about the same time. (D1000)

R

rkycdt

Reaction score
More good advice, I have contacted the OEM and reseller.

The license is transferrable, and it seems like a rather easy process and the company support transfers with the software as well. While I would prefer new, or even near new equipment, what I am looking at is, while somewhat outdated, significantly less expensive - to the point that I could write a check and call it a larger than usual monthly expense.......opening up the possibility to gain work before a larger investment (new scanner/software packages are 30K and I don't have confidence that I could pay that off within a year) Call it a proof of concept, maybe. If I could get a year or even two, I could have the work security to upgrade at a much lower risk point.

I realize the newer scanners have better capabilities, but maybe being new to this might mean I won't know what I'm missing?.....and will be pleasantly surprised when I upgrade.......and have a secondary scanner as well.

The risk with this scenario is - can I learn how to use it? I've spoken now to a couple of folks that think it's possible. I hope they are not pulling my leg.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Im an ebay whore, Ive built my lab with amazingly cheap high end used gear for years, and yes sometimes you get burned. I wouldnt buy used unless you know something about what youre buying. If it comes from a reputable (ha) person on DLN then maybe its worth a shot.
If I were you, there is a used older model DOF scanner on ebay right now for $2000, it will get the job done.. Add in exocad with training and youre off. If you buy a used license of exocad, WITH a dongle (very important) and the license is expired, you will be looking at around $3000 extra to renew the license. So factor that in, however you can use it without the license being active which is a huge plus. Whats your budget?

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Yeah, You just stick your head in the hole, there are special glasses and everything.

Ok wait, were going to confuse the OP