Scan Locators

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Can someone educate me on scan locators and 3shape. Is there a comprehensive kit available besides glidewells kit? When you buy a kit do you get a design library you import into 3shape that is specific to that scan locator kit? If so does that mean anyone could make a design library and more or less use a stock part as the locator? Is that how it works?

We have been exclusively with Nobel and Astra but I want to start doing hybrids in my lab. I currently have the implant and bar software for 3shape but there is nothing in the library right now

Thanks

S

Scanner Man

Reaction score
Elos has a locator kit. Elos - Elos Accurate
They have a 3Shape library and other libraries and scanner/software support will be available soon.

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
The big heavy hitter on this for 3Shape is of course Glidewells. I don't know if CAP offers a kit or not. But the way it usually works is when you buy your scan body kit from your distributor they include the library for your 3Shape that are for each different type of scan body you have and they will download it in for you.

I have had someone make me a custom library that they drew up in a program called rhino to use with Glidewells scan bodies. There are ways around things if you want to do it.

I have never had any issues with Glidewells I like it but some might not. We mill all of our hybrids in house with out any issues.

Question for you John we are looking at buying a used Nobel scanner to get in the loop with the Nobel people so they will push is some work. Good idea or not?

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Question for you John we are looking at buying a used Nobel scanner to get in the loop with the Nobel people so they will push is some work. Good idea or not?

I love Nobel Biocarel, they have been a good fit for me even as far back as the piccolo days when I was growing my cad custom abutments, the system did what I bought it for. With that being said the scanner is only one piece of the pie Tyler. Before I bought any used piece of equipment I would first contact your Nobel rep, get on board with how they will handle support for it. Once this is ironed out, before you purchase it, sit down with the rep and dial in exactly what your pricing will be based on existing restorations you do now + the potential growth this tool will help you with. Any closed system needs to be purchased knowing exactly what the widget is going to cost you today and for a certain period of time

I do not see any time soon that I will move away from nobel. My relationship with the company and its reps are symbiotic, we are a team providing excellence and with a common goal of profits.

Again I will point out I bought this scanner exclusively for abutments and bars, the full contour designing is horrid compared to most other systems but I hear rumblings that it is much improved in the next software version in beta now.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Elos has a locator kit. Elos - Elos Accurate
They have a 3Shape library and other libraries and scanner/software support will be available soon.

The library is online to download .dme file, I assume its worthless without their scan bodies. Their scan bodies look very nice but the price is very high as well. It does not look like they have an inclusive system you have to by them in small kits by manufacture and its will add up fast.

The inclusive glide well system looks to be between 7 and 8 bills but the quality of the parts look very cheap compared to this system. What other systems are out there for this?

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Yeah I know of the NT trading stuff, we are looking into it that product right now, I was just sure there were a ton of guys on here that would chime in on what they have been using.

A

arnie16403

Reaction score
I'm not sure their is a ton of guys out their using this yet, the one thing to watch when looking into the libraries they don't alll output stl files to you to mill to, the hybride seem to have the interface on them, most of this is taken care of by the milling center, so some of this you need to find out on the mill side.

S

Scanner Man

Reaction score
The library is online to download .dme file, I assume its worthless without their scan bodies. Their scan bodies look very nice but the price is very high as well. It does not look like they have an inclusive system you have to by them in small kits by manufacture and its will add up fast.

The inclusive glide well system looks to be between 7 and 8 bills but the quality of the parts look very cheap compared to this system. What other systems are out there for this?

I think the Elos is about 2x the price of Glidewell. I have some Glidewell and a few Elos and the Elos are better quality.
Related to what arnie16403 said "have the interface on them" I believe this is the case for Elos.

Disclaimer: I am not sure about the following paragraph. Please ask questions to more knowledgeable people in this area since I am not 100% sure.

Can any lab or milling center use the data from the Glidewell scan bodies? I was under the impression that if you used the Glidewell scan bodies you either sent the case to them or someone who reverse engineered the scan body.
Most systems are proprietary and linked to the milling center that sold you the scan bodies. I think (not sure) that the Elos scan bodies are one of the very few (maybe the only) open platforms on the market.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Maybe this is a stupid question, but shouldnt the implant manufacturer be selling these?

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I have the glidewell scan bodies. I just design what I need to and either mill the abutment out of Zr and order the Ti base to attach it to from Glidewell, or design full Ti implant and send it to someone with capabilities to mill it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

pjd cdt

pjd cdt

Reaction score
Jason,
How do you get glidewells scan locators to work in exocad?
Pete

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
Maybe this is a stupid question, but shouldnt the implant manufacturer be selling these?
Not all implant companies carry scan bodies. Straumann have a specific one that is proprietary that
only works with iTero scanners.
LCM

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Pete, I purchased a scanning system with the included implant module. Scan locators came with it.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score

All scan bodies are related to specific implant interface library. This library contains information on hex corner location, implant location and interface geometries. So, when one buys a specific set of scan bodies you are also purchasing this library for your CAD system. As a result scan bodies are generally provided by companies that manufacturer parts on many different implant systems.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
All scan bodies are related to specific implant interface library. This library contains information on hex corner location, implant location and interface geometries. So, when one buys a specific set of scan bodies you are also purchasing this library for your CAD system. As a result scan bodies are generally provided by companies that manufacturer parts on many different implant systems.

What I want to know is when you buy the Glidewell system is it only set up to put a base in the analog or does it give you the data to actually mill an interface to the fixture? The ELOS system appears to do as I ask but I am not sure.

Also what I want to know is more for bridges in zirconia, will it only allow a cementable to the to connect style system or is it a solid piece of zircon to the table of the fixture?

So many questions....

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
John,
No data to mill the interface.
Not sure, never did an all Zi bridge with GW.

pjd cdt

pjd cdt

Reaction score
Jason, Are you using the Glidewell scan analogs with exocad implant modular? The reason I ask is Glidewell offers Prima connex and B&D does not.
Pete

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Jason, Are you using the Glidewell scan analogs with exocad implant modular? The reason I ask is Glidewell offers Prima connex and B&D does not.
Pete

Ahhhh I see. I'm using the B&D kit. It's keyed to the Glidewell platforms but I do not have the prima connex scan body or cad library.

pjd cdt

pjd cdt

Reaction score
Jason, thanks I guess I'll just keep sending my Prima connex abutments to Glidewell.
Pete