router questions

AlienMilling

AlienMilling

Sponsors
Reaction score
We have a Local Network set up. It's run by Night Hawk Router. All Wired connections, absolutely no wireless. This is to dedicate all of it's cpu power to delegate files, from scanners, to designers, to mill operations. The Network inside the CAD room has no external access (internet). This keeps network cluster to a bare minimum. We have one computer that can switch networks to download intra oral files. Other than that, no internet (no facebook, no twitter, no bs)

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
We have a Local Network set up. It's run by Night Hawk Router. All Wired connections, absolutely no wireless. This is to dedicate all of it's cpu power to delegate files, from scanners, to designers, to mill operations. The Network inside the CAD room has no external access (internet). This keeps network cluster to a bare minimum. We have one computer that can switch networks to download intra oral files. Other than that, no internet (no facebook, no twitter, no bs)
Your IT bills are nada.

AlienMilling

AlienMilling

Sponsors
Reaction score
Your IT bills are nada.
lol Zilch! I hard wired the whole room myself. Set up the Network, and configured the PCs. I just couldn't believe some of the quotes I got to run wires!

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Maybe what ever this company has modem wise, is in a "hub" room in this building I rent space from? as the other tenants here use the same company. I only plug my ethernet into the wall jack, and straight to a PC, or in my case, a router.
You got it.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
lol Zilch! I hard wired the whole room myself. Set up the Network, and configured the PCs. I just couldn't believe some of the quotes I got to run wires!
I couldn't believe some of the stuff I've waded thru pulling wire. Wired a EOC years ago, they must have gotten stored dead rats from every sherrif dept for 100 miles to put in the crawlspace.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I couldn't believe some of the stuff I've waded thru pulling wire. Wired a EOC years ago, they must have gotten stored dead rats from every sherrif dept for 100 miles to put in the crawlspace.
Nothing like free snacks when you are on the clock.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Maybe what ever this company has modem wise, is in a "hub" room in this building I rent space from? as the other tenants here use the same company. I only plug my ethernet into the wall jack, and straight to a PC, or in my case, a router.

You got it.

I guess I hadn't really thought of it before as far as offices and larger corporate buildings, that the pcs that are hard wired to the internet, that everyone can't have a modem on every desk. Is it something like a "server" modem?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I guess I hadn't really thought of it before as far as offices and larger corporate buildings, that the pcs that are hard wired to the internet, that everyone can't have a modem on every desk. Is it something like a "server" modem?
Yeah that's the right idea. What happens is their is a larger bandwidth connection (DSL, multiple Fiber patches, Frame relay, or something) that is shared out over a LAN. There is likely more than one connection and they have boxes set up for failover redundancy if something goes pearshaped.
It's the same idea as you have at home, but instead having 2 or more DSL modems going to a load balancer and more that keeps you up if one modem fails, and your connection serving 4 floors of offices instead of 4 people and a TV.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Thanks for your follow up, JMN :)

user name

user name

Reaction score
Questions...

If youre going to set up scanner/computer/mill without internet connection, how do you do it?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Questions...

If youre going to set up scanner/computer/mill without internet connection, how do you do it?
Set up a network.

That modem thing marking your gps coordinates really got you thinking?

user name

user name

Reaction score
Set up a network.

That modem thing marking your gps coordinates really got you thinking?
Funny. No. I am thinking with my bunker mentality though...

what gets plugged in to what?

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Questions...

You would still need the router as 2th mentioned, or just use a ethernet crossover cable. Maybe JMN has some ideas, too?

Last edited:
JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
You would still need the router as 2th mentioned, or just use a ethernet crossover cable. Maybe JMN has some ideas, too?
nope, run a crossover cable between the 2 devices and you'd be set. But That would make him have to set IP/TCP adresses manually as DHCP servers are not enableable in windows7 and up unless you are running server versions, which are called by years now(2003+).

In english, everything on a network has an adress, and if it does't get one automatically by magic (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol-dhcp) then you have to do it. Can be daunting if you are uncomfortable with this stuff but not hard.

Easiest way is grab a $10 4 port switch with dhcp and plug your non-interneting devices into it and your done. Or grab an old wifi router thing at a discount, yardsale, etc and open it up and neuter the antennas. They usually pop on/off like snaps.

Top Bottom