Replacing old denture teeth

D

danalab

Reaction score
My doc is insisting on replacing old teeth on partial, 7 teeth in all and wants the base to remain as is. I told him that this was not possible. He strongly disagreed. Options????????

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Can you replace a single tooth without changing the base?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
My doc is insisting on replacing old teeth on partial, 7 teeth in all and wants the base to remain as is. I told him that this was not possible. He strongly disagreed. Options????????
Do it all the time. Someone needs another central on their RPD and has one already, I take off the old one so they match perfectly. Sometimes all the anterior 5 get swapped out when adding a new central or lateral.

Just take a putty matrix of the facial, then when you put the new teeth in, match up the incisal edges to the matrix. Works great.

Get a matrix of the intaglio in case you misjudge the stoutness of the acrylic when grinding off the teeth.

D

danalab

Reaction score
Do it all the time. Someone needs another central on their RPD and has one already, I take off the old one so they match perfectly. Sometimes all the anterior 5 get swapped out when adding a new central or lateral.

Just take a putty matrix of the facial, then when you put the new teeth in, match up the incisal edges to the matrix. Works great.

Get a matrix of the intaglio in case you misjudge the stoutness of the acrylic when grinding off the teeth.[/QUOTE

Get a matrix of the intaglio in case you misjudge the stoutness of the acrylic when grinding off the teeth.

thanks so much.....he is very insistent

Denturist

Denturist

Reaction score
Which teeth are being replaced?
Usually there is a reason the teeth are worn....... It's called age, and with that comes loss of VDO and with that you get to grind new teeth into old teeth and have pretty much accomplished nothing but costing the patient.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Which teeth are being replaced?
Usually there is a reason the teeth are worn....... It's called age, and with that comes loss of VDO and with that you get to grind new teeth into old teeth and have pretty much accomplished nothing but costing the patient.
Most of the time this is done to restore vdo of a worn down partial, I think the guy just liked how it felt and wanted it the same. or maybe shade change.

Denturist

Denturist

Reaction score
If you restore the VDO of the PD you then take the natural teeth out of occlusion in most cases. Again depending on which teeth are being replaced.
Of course there are always exceptions.
Of course if there is additional treatment planed like crowns for major restoration work.....

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Dentures are forgiving yes depending on the teeth remaining you can do something about vdo

Denturist

Denturist

Reaction score
Actually..... Dentures are very unforgiving....... :)
They are either right or a pain in the _*^$#

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
I think the dentist is trying to save the patient a few sheckles.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I came from crown and bridge, I feel dentures is way more forgiving work.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I came from crown and bridge, I feel dentures is way more forgiving work.
It is mostly, in my opinion mind you, that the practitioners are under educated in comparison, and won't know as often if something is wrong, why.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
It is mostly, in my opinion mind you, that the practitioners are under educated in comparison, and won't know as often if something is wrong, why.
Being in house I am dragging my drs to denture courses and are doing really well. Wax it into position, check contacts, check interferences, check esthetics, invest, remove wax, replace with acrylic, polish, send home. I enjoy it and have found my niche maybe that is why I find it forgiving.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Being in house I am dragging my drs to denture courses and are doing really well. Wax it into position, check contacts, check interferences, check esthetics, invest, remove wax, replace with acrylic, polish, send home. I enjoy it and have found my niche maybe that is why I find it forgiving.
Possibly, since we also count flaws as features in the ones we love. I know what you mean.

Great that you are able to push CE into the areas that you see need knowledge upgrades. Y'all have sucfesfully built a quite firm feedback loop. That's an acomplishment of which you should all be very proud.

Acheivement Unlocked:
Feedback Loop
+100 XP

D

dborla01

Reaction score
"Forgive me"..LOL..Dentures are rather forgiving, and of course as long as "the rules" are followed...and including all the exceptions to the rules...they have a great chance of being successful. :cool:

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
My drs spend money on me in more than just a lab fee they are interested in what I have to say.

budgenator

budgenator

Reaction score
And so are their wearers!
The patient said "I don't mean to be a pain in the ass." and my brain filled in "but your going to anyway aren't you." The case presented interesting challenges, several resets, adjustments and when everything finally dropped into place it was very satisfying.