Reduction Copings

Wyolab

Wyolab

Reaction score
Does anyone out there charge for reduction copings? I am thinking about charging for reduction copings on cases where there is inadequate clearance. These copings take time in the lab and materials. There would not be a charge for reducing the opposing. Thoughts or comments are appreciated. I just feel if there is a charge there will be incentive to adequately reduce the prep. Of course using a coping requires the Dentist to take extra time during the crown seat, and often use anesthetic so that should be incentive as well.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I charge 20.00 and I don't cast them......I use GC pattern resin.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Does anyone out there charge for reduction copings? I am thinking about charging for reduction copings on cases where there is inadequate clearance. These copings take time in the lab and materials. There would not be a charge for reducing the opposing. Thoughts or comments are appreciated. I just feel if there is a charge there will be incentive to adequately reduce the prep. Of course using a coping requires the Dentist to take extra time during the crown seat, and often use anesthetic so that should be incentive as well.

We charge $35 and use chrome

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I print extra copings from CAD. I make one 1mm thick and use that.

Takes .5sec. and $.50

Do I charge? No, but if I keep getting those, that doc won't last too long with me.

Wyolab

Wyolab

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I was planning on charging $20. I use .020 stent material on the vaccum former. This allows the dentist to use the adjacent teeth to align everything, and it is quicker and easier then casting additional metal. I talked to the doctor initially and asked if he wanted to reduce the opposing or have a coping. He said he didn't want copings if he had to pay for them. Later when I spoke with him again he admitted that everyone else he used charged for them as well. I understand that leaving the most viable tooth structure is appealing for a dentist, but without adequate reduction you can't make a ideal restoration. Thanks again for your feedback, sometimes it is easier to make a decision when you can shoot it past your peers.

B

BruceQuality

Reaction score
We cast reduction copings here and charge about $28. I'd guesstimate that we do about 2-3 per month on average.

T

Tree

Reaction score
Does anyone have a photographed-step by step- in fabricating a cast metal reduction coping that you'd like to see published (with full credit to you, of course) in Parkell Today? If so, please contact me ASAP.
Thanks so much!
Tree Mainella

Shaun Keating

Shaun Keating

Reaction score
It's a service you should offer at no charge. In this difficult economy for many Dentist's looking for new pt's....and trying to retain existing ones, I would let them know the work it takes to fabricate them, and the costs you incure ( in a nice way). I think if it turns into a habit with certain accounts...you really need to talk to them about it. If they value you as a partner in their succes, they will understand, and try to give you more of what you need on a daily basis:)

Travis

Travis

Nothing to see here
Staff member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a photographed-step by step- in fabricating a cast metal reduction coping that you'd like to see published (with full credit to you, of course) in Parkell Today? If so, please contact me ASAP.
Thanks so much!
Tree Mainella

Hi Tree, welcome to the site.

You may get more response if you start this a new thread. :D

stt672

stt672

Reaction score
It's a service you should offer at no charge. In this difficult economy for many Dentist's looking for new pt's....and trying to retain existing ones, I would let them know the work it takes to fabricate them, and the costs you incure ( in a nice way). I think if it turns into a habit with certain accounts...you really need to talk to them about it. If they value you as a partner in their succes, they will understand, and try to give you more of what you need on a daily basis:)
To a point I'm with Shaun on this. I know I have beat this to death but a lot of little things like this I will just pad the gold bill, most Dr.s don't have a clue what the metal cost is but they are always looking at that labor charge. If the doctor has this happen often pad the bill.

Last edited:
Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
We use old worn out NP buttons for metal. Most of the time it on the draw of a bridge and only occasionally on occlusal clearance issues. For more space depending on whats apposite we relive and mark in red with a sticker on the model saying what we have done. Numbing a tooth to cut more off the prep is no a first choice and I also can't see the pulp in a stone die so reliving the opposing is IMO the easier of the two on everybody. We will do either at no charge.

Bobby Orr ceramics

Bobby Orr ceramics

Reaction score

That's our approach also Shaun. If it's a PFM case requested, I'll try and suggest an all ceramic material that maybe requires no prep adjustment at all and suggest bonding over cementing.

I find docs are just plumbers and mechanics at heart when we suggest to just switch adhesive technique for a more light dynamic restoration...... it's easy for them, the esthetic is better, they don't feel like failures, they don't feel punished with a coping charge, and I'll bill more cause it's all ceramics as opposed to PFM.

Always try and throw them an added benefit that solves their problem.

I find that technicians always try to "punish" the people that send them cash every month......dangerous public relations !!

EJADA

EJADA

Reaction score
I charge $20 and press them out of E.max. My Dr.s say they are the best reduction copings they have ever used. I just put them in any old E.Max ring that has some extra room. They cost me nothing in materials and 5 minutes labor. I also draw a red ring at the edge of the hole. (kinda like a bulls eye)

I don't feel charging for my time is punishing anybody. $20 is way cheaper for the dentist than bringing the patient back for a new impression. I have never had a Dr complain about the charge. Seems you want them just expensive enough to get them to not want to pay for it by giving adequate room.

Last edited:
ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
I'm with Shaun and Bobby, you can't sweat the small stuff. Appreciate your accounts. I only see about five of these a year and just dip and cast, no charge just send the coping back.
Do some charge the doc when the crown Rx is for the doc too?

Matrix

Matrix

Reaction score
I call the Dr and tell him he has to get the patient back in and take more off the prep. Why do things backwards? If the Dr would hold the post prep bite registration up to the light it would be very obvious where the reduction was inadequate by observing the thin areas on the bite registration in the area of the prep. Before they place the temp, while the patient is still numb is the time to prepare the tooth. My feeling is coach them to do it right in the first place and not to waste my time in the lab and their chair time adjusting a bad prep at delivery.

EJADA

EJADA

Reaction score
I call the Dr and tell him he has to get the patient back in and take more off the prep. Why do things backwards? If the Dr would hold the post prep bite registration up to the light it would be very obvious where the reduction was inadequate by observing the thin areas on the bite registration in the area of the prep. Before they place the temp, while the patient is still numb is the time to prepare the tooth. My feeling is coach them to do it right in the first place and not to waste my time in the lab and their chair time adjusting a bad prep at delivery.

Good luck on that. By the way how long have you been working with dentists?

I do believe in coaching my clients but to tell them to bring back the patient when a simple reduction coping will work...Well...
I have even left small pen lights at their offices, because when a light is shinned through most impression materials you can see the thin areas. they usually forget to look though.
My job is to make them look good even when they miss something.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I think the word " punishment" is a bit over the top especially here in Canada where the lab fees are separated from the Dr's fees.

The patient is given a quote prior to the treatment. The quote is or should be higher than the lab bill in case there are any extra "punishments" incurred.

I don't give the alloy away for free either here at Sadistic Dental lab ( " we'll make you smile and you'll like it"):rolleyes:

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Anybody tried using the flowable light cured primotec material?

M

mrcadcam

Reaction score
How can you guys NOT charge for it? Thats just plan dumb, the doctor did not do his job required to fullfill his prescription that HE/SHE ordered. By your lab making a reduction coping you are saving the dentist money on chair time and patient time. Some labs bend over backwards way too much for dentist that should not even have a license.

You guys do like making money for doing a job right?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I only charge for it when it is requested or agreed to.That is why I provide a check box that the Dr can indicate adjustment of the opposing ,adjustment of the prep,reduction coping or island.

I also send a macro pic via email requesting the dr's suggestion.There's no punishment or someone not doing their job when you actually set up a protocol of communication with each other.

This is not an exact science and you need to provide guides,matrices,reduction copings,stents,transfer jigs etc to facilitate the job at hand.

Last edited: