Race to the bottom....

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
So there's this guy in my town who runs his own shop. He charges $25 for set-ups and $25 to process dentures and partials. I hear complaints that the work is horrible but yet he still has dr's send him stuff because all they care about is the price being low no matter how bad the work is. Has anyone ever heard of a lab charging so little to do the work? How long were they able to stay in business? How could anyone possibly do it for so CHEAP? It frustrates me because I had an account who was sending me their stuff after I worked out a very good price list for them on everything and after a month of business they tell me they are sending it to him because his prices are lower. No complaints about my work or anything other than he wants the price that cheap....
had someone similar doing the same locally. one exception...he did GREAT work and cut himself short. he go soooooo bogged down with work, he ended up shutting the doors and going to work at another commercial lab.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Could possibly have the lab disclose their materials, and that could dissuade the dr. But honestly cheap soft teeth can make some pretty well functioning dentures, depends on the school of thought.

M

molarmaker

Reaction score
It's always funny to me when someone's plan of survival turns so quickly to a plan of failure

krashd133

krashd133

Reaction score
This continuing common theme in dentistry of the 'race to the bottom' and 'price before quality' seems highly unethical on a medical sense and I wonder if and/or when the ball will drop on how low some parts of the profession have gotten. I wonder how many media news stories of bad dentistry or fed up patients until someone in power takes steps to reverse the seas...

Too bad I take pride in what I do. I don't send anything out that I would not use myself

There's your sales pitch to your Dentists

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
This continuing common theme in dentistry of the 'race to the bottom' and 'price before quality' seems highly unethical on a medical sense and I wonder if and/or when the ball will drop on how low some parts of the profession have gotten. I wonder how many media news stories of bad dentistry or fed up patients until someone in power takes steps to reverse the seas...

There's your sales pitch to your Dentists
Theres the classic line I only send out the door what I would give my mother.

Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
"I'm confused !"..........If some of these Doctors think the very cheapest work is good enough ,why don't they sell their Panamera caractere-exclusive-panamera-turbo-s-gets-cec-22-wheels_13.jpg and buy a Kia 2009-kia-soul-border-2-photo-349045-s-cd-gallery.jpg "do they know how much money they will save" :confused:

budgenator

budgenator

Reaction score
That's cheap. I didn't know they got that low
Those are difficult to work with, your denture base is probably harder than the teeth and it's real easy to coke-bottle them while polishing; the porosity takes some getting used to also.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
This continuing common theme in dentistry of the 'race to the bottom' and 'price before quality' seems highly unethical on a medical sense and I wonder if and/or when the ball will drop on how low some parts of the profession have gotten. I wonder how many media news stories of bad dentistry or fed up patients until someone in power takes steps to reverse the seas
we all should be shouting this, blogging this, telling patients, friends, family, etc. this doesn't happen in all aspects of the medical field, why the hell should we be allowing it in dental?

doug

doug

Reaction score
How many of you on here have forwarded the "What's in Your Mouth" campaign information to doctors or others who are decision makers. Knowledge is important

C

cdtwade

Reaction score
There dentists that will pay top dollar for removable but they are far and few between.

victormasi

victormasi

Reaction score
Today you can get anything done for close to nothing, its crap and he/you know it.
I spent 35 yrs in this business, got CDT'd and read everything that the trade journals have to say, became well-versed in dental implants, at the chair with both surgeons and GP's ...blah, blah,blah..

My son is finishing his last year in DS and guess what the concept is of "the lab guy"?

Attachments

• deaddino.png
    deaddino.png
    25.6 KB · Views: 25
D

dborla01

Reaction score
Hi Victor and I "feel your pain".Banghead I have left this business on more than one occasion the past 40+ years, saying: "I will never again darken the doors of a dental lab". However, as my personal situation evolved through the years, I took a fresh look, more than once, at the benefits of self employment, with my skills and knowledge as useful... ultimately to my advantage. We dental technicians who experience a certain sense of "autonomy", find it far less than optimal, to work for someone else. PS: Congratulations to your son, and I bet that your influence on him, will translate to better communication and respect for laboratory technicians. :)