Porcelain Mixing Palette

Toast

Toast

Reaction score
Hello all, newbie here. I found this site while searching for ideas/techniques to help solve my problem of small bubbles in porcelain, mainly in second bake using d.SIGN. I purge and calibrate my oven (Ivoclar P80) at least twice a month. I'm thinking I'm introducing the bubbles in to my porc. while rewetting on the glass slab. I curious if any one here is using the Smileline porc. palette or the new EZ-Master M Palette by BK-Medent sold by Vacalon. I've used the Renfert Tropical tray in the past and it now collects dust. It kept porc. too wet and tore up my brushes. I like the smileline but $300.00 is a little steep compared to $160.00 for the EZ-Master. If anyone could share their personal experiences ,pros/cons, with either I'd appreciate it.
Thank you in advance,
Toast

Clear Precision Dental

Clear Precision Dental

Reaction score
Rob, a previous poster here, showed a technique using a brush (he used Smile Line) dipped in wetting solution and then picking the porcelain powder (via a quick dab) DIRECTLY into and from the jar of DRY porcelain powder. I have been using this technique (I use dSIGN porcelain) and it is working very well! Rob also mentioned that it would cut down on waste, and it does.

If it has not been deleted, you would find it under dSIGN porcelain thread, then look for photos of the technique. Otherwise, my description should work. Mixes, ie. to get Vita 3-D matches, would need to be done with dry powders (ratios) in a separate jar.

Toast

Toast

Reaction score
Rob, a previous poster here, showed a technique using a brush (he used Smile Line) dipped in wetting solution and then picking the porcelain powder (via a quick dab) DIRECTLY into and from the jar of DRY porcelain powder. I have been using this technique (I use dSIGN porcelain) and it is working very well! Rob also mentioned that it would cut down on waste, and it does.

If it has not been deleted, you would find it under dSIGN porcelain thread, then look for photos of the technique. Otherwise, my description should work. Mixes, ie. to get Vita 3-D matches, would need to be done with dry powders (ratios) in a separate jar.

Thanks for the reply, I knew a guy that used to stack like that. I tried it several years back and didn't do so hot. Maybe I'll give it another go. Thanks again.

C

careywhiteman

Reaction score
Here's a link for dry powder stacking, I came across when I was in school. I made my own compartments with $1 bead boxes I found at Hobby Lobby. I got an A on all my projects using this guys method. The articles are pretty interesting. drypowder.net

labman01

labman01

Reaction score
I have been using the Smileline wet tray for about a year and like it very much. At the end of each working day I just rinse the membrane and porous ceramic plate and put it back together. As far as bubbles in your crowns, I found that if I pick up lot of porcelain at once and put it on my framework, occasionally I will get trapped bubbles. Also, the opaque may have small pin holes in it where metal is visible, causing you to trap air in it and on your second bake those air bubbles may show up. Hope this helps.

SiKBOY

SiKBOY

Reaction score
I have tried all the above methods and with the renfert trays and the smileline as well.
The renfert tray does wear your brush out a lot quicker and also the smile line is too "grippy" for my liking and you have to change the material every now and then. I can't control the amount of porc I want to pick up with the dry method either. Its either too little or WAY too much.

I just stick to the glass slab or a black ceramic tile. Its cheap and works well enough for me.

labman01

labman01

Reaction score
I change the membrane on my smile line tray about once a year, while smile line recommends changing it 3-4 months. I think the membrane lasts a lot longer than 3-4 months, just don't mix your porcelain with metal spatula, mix it with cheap brush.

I like this tray because I don't have to constantly re-wet my porcelain, and the membrane that lays on top of porous ceramic plate saves my brushes.

Toast

Toast

Reaction score
Update: Well shortly after posting I purchased the small smileline wet tray for $140.00. It's the perfect size for a days worth of work. The smileline liquid stinks when used with d.SIGN on the tray. It runs all over the place, worse than distilled water. I went back to d.SIGN medium build up liquid and its working pretty good. It seems like a totally different liquid than when used on the slab. I did just order some bredent liquid hopefully its just as good or better because its less than half the price of d.SIGN liquid. It's been about 4 to 5 months and I'm still using the first membrane, it's not pretty but working fine. As far as the bubbles go they have gone away. I'm not sure exactly what was causing them, other than me that is. I had a good conversation with an Ivoclar tech and he gave me a few tips. I've also ordered a kit to rebuild my vacuum pump, much cheaper than a new one and it can't hurt since all my pumps are about 10 years old. Thanks for all the input.