Photo diplomacy

karabear

karabear

Reaction score
Any suggestions on how to tell the doctor what I can or cannot discern from this photo as far as shade is concerned. Should I be able to "take a shade" from this photo? Ace Brogden.jpg
Ace Brogden.jpg

C

charles007

Reaction score
Kara, just use the universal shade of A2.......photo is unless your trying to match the tongue lol

I

Ivan

Reaction score
Just put a greenish tint to whatever shade you like. I'm sure it will match perfectly!

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
this is funny! i had a Dr bring in picture for 9&10 he wanted us to do. just a pic of teeth. he says, "it's kind of like a C1". i did it and Dr came back and said it didn't match but patient liked them so much he decided to have 7 & 8 done to match what i guessed on. pretty good result.
if there is no other written guidelines, call the Dr for his best guess and let him now there's no guaranty.

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
What a wast of your time. Ask him to do you a new shade take. Pics are a wast of time like this unless they put a couple of shade tabs in the shot as well, and even then it depends on how good the surgeons gear is and if he can use it.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
send this doctor an incendiary piece of mail. or better yet find out what kind of Camera he has, then tell the manufacturer of the camera to come and take it away, seeing he is unfit to use it.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
tell him to buy a real camera, not a phone. Actually my iphone takes better pics than this..

JonB

JonB

Reaction score
I have to say - that is one horrible shot! White balance is off, focus isn't good, depth of field is shallow, light is uneven, no shade guide.... there are so many things wrong with that shot that the best, nicest thing you could say is "I'm sorry doctor, but I can't use that image for anything related to dental work. But I know I can help you with your technique if you allow me."
Then read everything everyone has posted on these threads - ask questions if it isn't clear... before he takes you up on it. Be kind, dentists generally are no more photographers than they are technicians. Its an opportunity to build a strong working relationship if you want it.

JonB

JonB

Reaction score
tell him to buy a real camera, not a phone. Actually my iphone takes better pics than this..
I have a dentist that sends me iPhone pics when she forgets to bring her real camera back to work after the weekend. They aren't all that bad! ... by comparison to her real camera technique.

But - I do not believe anyone should rely upon photographs to take shades!!! While cameras get better every day, and photographers get better every day - there is no way to control a calibrated workflow and the perception of color and grayscale is way beyond the scope of digital photography as far as shade determination.

SiKBOY

SiKBOY

Reaction score
I get pics sent with every job with shade tabs on the pics. I use the tabs somewhat but I use the pics for the characteristics of the teeth, stains, cracks. How much or how far down the enamel goes etc.

EJADA

EJADA

Reaction score
Hey now it's a custom shade. That's an extra $50. What are you matching anyhow?

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Sorry, you said DIPLOMACY.. haha

Is he trying to show you the FCZ on the first molar is a bit opaque, high value?

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Good to see you around Jbear! Thats something I probably learned from you back on the other forum. Its the same as holding the actual tab up to the printed picture, its generally nothing alike. But dont most SLRs even point and shoots give you the ability to adjust white balance?

Really kara, I save articles from dental or lab mags about how to adjust camera, settings, etc. and give them to the Dr. If the Dr wont take the time to educate himself on taking a decent picture, then what other parts of his education or technique is he lacking in.. I can post some worse than this.. we all get them.

But - I do not believe anyone should rely upon photographs to take shades!!! While cameras get better every day, and photographers get better every day - there is no way to control a calibrated workflow and the perception of color and grayscale is way beyond the scope of digital photography as far as shade determination.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
This dr denied that this was out of focus and said it was my computer.

ai971.photobucket.com_albums_ae197_rkmrdt_RhondaNadon3.jpg
ai971.photobucket.com_albums_ae197_rkmrdt_RhondaNadon3.jpg

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Rkm just adjust the focus, it should be a big ring on the front of your screen! Haha

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Apparently it's a straight forward B1.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
he got the hair on his chinny chin chin in focus!

bonded

bonded

Reaction score
Can`t understand whey they take bad shot !!!
Personally i go to dentist and teach him how should be, Otherwise you lose business if you accept that !!