Our first prototype of Titanium holder

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
This is for up to Ten or so units of Titanium at a time.

Six set-screws are holding Medical grade Ti. Comments?

I am adding draining on sides. More relief for chips to flow down and get out of the way. This design may hold the scrap on top too long during roughing. Need to add space to evacuate the scrap.

Scott

ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_0489.jpg
ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_0489.jpg

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
May add set-screws going longways if needed, but I don't think it's really needed.

ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_0491.jpg
ai930.photobucket.com_albums_ad145_turbo2nr_DSC_0491.jpg

Last edited:
Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat

Reaction score
What are u milling Ti with? Isn't it messy, do you use oil or water for lubricant during milling.......and that looks like the shape of a 3M frame.....

Hary

Hary

Reaction score
Hi Scott did you start miling the Cr Co for pfms thanks.

Travis

Travis

Nothing to see here
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like a cpu socket.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I'm going to try methanol and water mixed into the puffer systems during milling. If I burn the tools too fast, then I will try recirculating pump w/coolant/lube.

Yes, eventually we will be milling non-precious.

Nothing for sale yet. Just playing around.

Holder was designed by me and employees and is made from 6061-T6 Aluminium.

Many modifications will be made before we produce these.

Notch for pulling block out of mill (finger recess),recessed area for bar code.

Messy?? Nothing is more messy than ten pounds of Zirconia dust every day! I consider it very clean! (milling metal that is)

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Who needs luck?

It will work. I use to buy Meth by the 55gal drum from World Wide Racing fuels near my city.

I have made many meth injection and cooling systems in turbo race cars.

There are plenty of CNC mills that spray/puff alchohol. You don't know that??

Don't laugh just yet! This will work just fine for our milling chamber.
I think we can hold about 100lbs of scrap before we have to get out the shovel and clean. No need for filter or catch can.

Spray Mist Coolant Systems, Mill Coolant, Tool Coolant, Lathe Coolant, Machining Coolant by Kool Mist

Last edited:
JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
While I am not fully versed on Meth spraying as a lube/coolant I would suggest you watch the ratio of meth to water as it could be quite the fire hazard above 25% ratio :)

I know Ti when ground on sparks like the Forth of July :) Not a great combo :)

Cool to see your progress Scott

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
I use to buy Meth by the 55gal drum.[/url]

That's a lot of meth. I'm surprised you're still alive :) BTW, Breaking Bad starts next month-YES!

Seriously, I'll be curious to see how things work out. Tooling strategy and tool use should be interesting, no?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Windshield washer fluid is 40% Methanol. (Winter Blend)

It is not explosive. I use to inject it right after turbo to prevent detonation and get more octane using only pump gas. I would go up to 28PSI of boost and 850 HP on pump gas and with a little V6. The race meth/water or even Smurf juice works great! I had a second Meth tank and pump and computer just for that system.

I use to mix my own blend in the garage, or I'd use the smurf stuff in a pinch. Funny huh?

Thanks for the warning, I did kinda forget about the sparks.

That makes me get more excited about milling. I love sparks and danger!

I just ordered my tools from Emuge/Franken.

I'm trying both Torus and Ball mills. I think I already know the answer as to which one is cheaper. The Torus.

We will try 2mm, 1.5mm, 1mm, then .6mm in ball mills first.
I think I need to get larger than 2mm for the roughing, but just havn't ordered yet.

Also bought 2mm, 1.5mm, 1mm, and .5 torus burs.

d2 will be 1/10 of diameter of tool, so 2mm tool can go max of .2mm Z-depth increments. I think we will do around a 700 feedrate, or about a little less than 1/2 of the feed of Zirconia.

X-Y Stepover will be 50% with the ball, and up to 80% with the torus.

A mill may be able to crank out 30-35 units a day. Thats about it I think. Not too many. Need more mills~! Looking at Haas Office mills.

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
We have an Aluminum cage for Bruxzir Zirconia and another design that is split in half (Top/Bottom) to clamp onto a few eMax blocks.
With Sum3D, we can do this and more on any mill. Very fun, but very step learning curve. The more I know, the more I feel I don't know. Ya know?

Last edited:
Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
We have an Aluminum cage for Bruxzir Zirconia and another design that is split in half (Top/Bottom) to clamp onto a few eMax blocks.
With Sum3D, we can do this and more on any mill. Very fun, but very step learning curve. The more I know, the more I feel I don't know. Ya know?

We have been doing some R&D work on the new 5 Axis mill and finding the right tool strategy for some newer materials has been frustrating to say the least. Even when we have a rough idea of the hardness or similarity to other materials, we find we break a lot of tools and damage a lot of material figuring things out.

I guess when you take a bunch of dental technicians, a bunch of computer geeks and leave out the machinist expert, you do a lot of trial and error. Can't justify adding one just yet, but may in the future.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Me too. (me too)

It is expensive playing around!

So far, no serious tool crashes, but I'd be lying if I said we weren't breaking things every now and then.

Mark, we removed the grippers from a lava mill and threw in a 4x4in piece of aluminum.
It worked. That's the largest size you can go before you hit the axis limit switches or have machine collision. So, you can mill the aluminum block pictured above on an actual lava mill. Cool, huh?

We sprued a block within a bigger block! LOL It milled the actual block. I think it's funny.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Hi Scott,
Looks very interestin!!!
We have been milling titanium and CrCo for about a year. I am not sure if we can help in any way. Please feel free to get in touch if you have any Qs. We are routinely achieving precision fit. FYI our mill time is 30 minutes per unit.
Bob

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
WOW. I never thought I could get 50 units/day out of a mill. (metal) Cool.

Sounds interesting for sure. We should trade ideas one day.

I wish I was closer to ya. We could party.

a1.bp.blogspot.com__IDfPIZ9cEHw_TZjZyVBHYjI_AAAAAAAAAAQ_zW3SQwBkIcw_s1600_passed_out_drunk_guys.jpg
a1.bp.blogspot.com__IDfPIZ9cEHw_TZjZyVBHYjI_AAAAAAAAAAQ_zW3SQwBkIcw_s1600_passed_out_drunk_guys.jpg

Last edited:
PDC

PDC

Reaction score
Hi Scott,
Looks very interestin!!!
We have been milling titanium and CrCo for about a year. I am not sure if we can help in any way. Please feel free to get in touch if you have any Qs. We are routinely achieving precision fit. FYI our mill time is 30 minutes per unit.
Bob

How are your fits with large titanium bridges using Itero scans? It seems that milling centers seem to have rocking issues with their fits on these. Even large zirconia splints. Margins always look good, but that's a moot point if it rocks. I am a firm believer in the accuracy of the Itero models because of the positive responses from doctors when we do conventional PFM bridges made on them.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
Scott, will you please post a picture of your Lava machine with the modifications?

How is the project coming?

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
How are your fits with large titanium bridges using Itero scans? It seems that milling centers seem to have rocking issues with their fits on these. Even large zirconia splints. Margins always look good, but that's a moot point if it rocks. I am a firm believer in the accuracy of the Itero models because of the positive responses from doctors when we do conventional PFM bridges made on them.

Mills just do what they are told to do. I could understand for Zirconia, but for metal, I doubt it. If it rocks, I'd say it's in the scan data or CAD data, and not the CAM or mill. (for metal)

Last edited:
PDC

PDC

Reaction score
Mills just do what they are told to do. I could understand for Zirconia, but for metal, I doubt it. If it rocks, I'd say it's in the scan data or CAD data, and not the CAM or mill. (for metal)

I am still baffled by this. When a zirconia bridge rocks, the most commonly used excuse is that it wasn't properly placed in the sintering funace.
Well, if the milling centers are aware of this, then why aren't they placing them where they should be? I've been using Straumann Cad software with the Itero scans. I had a 4 unit posterior ti bridge that rocked the other day, so I copied and resent the same data and had them mill a polycast frame. It rocked just like the ti bridge.:confused:

It's almost impossible to try and resolve the problem with these large companies because you can never deal with the actual person at the milling center. This is why I hope that they open up the system when they merge with DWOS. This will allow me to work one on one with a smaller milling center with which we can resolve these type issues. If I can get a milling center which can give me rock free bridges, I will be sending them my business.