New Katana STML Shade

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I just got a disc of D2 in yesterday. Hopefully with my camera, and average photo skills, you can at least get an idea of what it looks like. I toned down the flash on the last 2 photos as it looks closer to what I see in hand.

It was positioned just short of the top and bottom of the disc. The crown showed 12.67mm in a 14mm disc, so it was just under the uppermost Inc area. It seemed just a bit more chromatic, and missing some of the 59 "all Inc" look of the Inc 1/2 - 2/3rds of a D2 tab.

All in all, it's not to bad, though, as the D2 shade can be one of the harder shades to come out right, IMO.

IMG_1102.JPG
IMG_1104.JPG
IMG_1107.JPG
IMG_1108.JPG

Last edited:
2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
The value looks pretty good in the photos.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
The value looks pretty good in the photos.

It is pretty close. I think if I would have had a 16mm disc, and positioned it higher in that disc, would get more of the Inc effect
and look than this one, which took up the whole disc.

Last edited:
PDC

PDC

Reaction score
It looks good! We are our own worst critics. Especially when you have a shade tab that's probably twice the thickness of the crown.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
That is one thing I like about STML, it holds it's chroma and value better than the higher trans zirconias once you start thinning them out.

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
That is one thing I like about STML, it holds it's chroma and value better than the higher trans zirconias once you start thinning them out.

I agree 54. I wish Straumann would offer the STML but for now it's only the UTML and it's in a limited range of shades. I would much prefer the STML.

user name

user name

Reaction score
I only have the 'A' range shades at the moment, but when playing with sinter temps, cooking them slightly low (1530) the value is a bit high...not too high, but cooking at 1550 lowers the value quite a bit. Im still trying to find the sweet spot in the Migm. Tonights run will be set at 1540, and checked with TempTabs 650 and 700.

I hope Ill be getting that shipment of STML in the new colors soon.

user name

user name

Reaction score
When you STML guys have a Rx that's like an A2, with an A3 or 3.5 cervical, or maybe an A3 but with a C2 incisal, what Zr dyes have you been using?

Has anyone been playing with the unshaded STML and been happy with any particular brand colors?

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I only have the 'A' range shades at the moment, but when playing with sinter temps, cooking them slightly low (1530) the value is a bit high...not too high, but cooking at 1550 lowers the value quite a bit. Im still trying to find the sweet spot in the Migm. Tonights run will be set at 1540, and checked with TempTabs 650 and 700.

I hope Ill be getting that shipment of STML in the new colors soon.

The temp I used for the crown, was @ 1550. So far that seems pretty good for my oven, also for the rest of the shades (As). The D3 I had pre-orderd didn't
come in with the D2.

user name

user name

Reaction score
The temp I used for the crown, was @ 1550. So far that seems pretty good for my oven, also for the rest of the shades (As). The D3 I had pre-orderd didn't
come in with the D2.
Have you checked the oven temp so you know the actual? These Orton TempTabs are very cool. I got them in two temp ranges, they call 650 and 700. Ive only used the 650s so far, but tonight will run them both in the same cycle to cross check their accuracy.

user name

user name

Reaction score
These are super crappy /shaky pics, but just to show...

One on the left is fired lower and has the higher value, one on right is cooked higher...slightly lower value, but from the occ you can see it has more trans. Both are same file, STML A1.
2017-01-14 01.01.29.jpg
2017-01-14 01.02.36.jpg

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Have you checked the oven temp so you know the actual? These Orton TempTabs are very cool. I got them in two temp ranges, they call 650 and 700. Ive only used the 650s so far, but tonight will run them both in the same cycle to cross check their accuracy.

Not yet. I got calibration kit with the rings (MTH?) and a nice digital caliper when I bought the oven. I've just been running it as is from out of the box. Everything seems really close to what some of the zirconia I've sintered have called for. But you're right, I think it's time to see where I'm really at.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Not yet. I got calibration kit with the rings (MTH?) and a nice digital caliper when I bought the oven. I've just been running it as is from out of the box. Everything seems really close to what some of the zirconia I've sintered have called for. But you're right, I think it's time to see where I'm really at.
Ive got your address. If you want, I can drop a couple of these TempTabs in the mail for you. After you run em in a cycle, you could measure and PM me the numbers and Ill look it up on the charts and tell you what they say.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
These are super crappy /shaky pics, but just to show...

One on the left is fired lower and has the higher value, one on right is cooked higher...slightly lower value, but from the occ you can see it has more trans. Both are same file, STML A1.
View attachment 24703
View attachment 24704

You're right, the one on the right has more chroma and more translucency, it looks nice. Nice lighting with the 2nd set of pics.
It really time for me to fire a ring, things could be better than what I'm getting.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Ive got your address. If you want, I can drop a couple of these TempTabs in the mail for you. After you run em in a cycle, you could measure and PM me the numbers and Ill look it up on the charts and tell you what they say.

Thank you, Bob :) Should I try one of the Ivoclar rings, and then if you would send me a couple of your temp tabs, so I can get a 2nd opinion and compare the 2?

user name

user name

Reaction score
Thank you, Bob :) Should I try one of the Ivoclar rings, and then if you would send me a couple of your temp tabs, so I can get a 2nd opinion and compare the 2?
Ill drop them in the mail in about 20 minutes.;)

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
wow...what service :) :)

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
Dang that stuff looks good! Do you guys use that stuff for most all of your cases? I've had some great responses on the UTML esthetics in anterior cases, but I prefer the strength and chroma of the STML (which I can't get currently). How big of a span can you do with the STML?

user name

user name

Reaction score
They say 3 units, but I interpret that as spanning one pontic. Im currently doing a 4 unit, but its double abut on one end. Changs actually looks a bit nicer, and they claim its layers are 700, 1000, and 1200mpa going from incisal to cervical, so its suitable for all indications. I still like Jensen XT for my frames, and Im using a bunch of Sagemax NexxZr + on posteriors.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I try to use STML as much as I can. It will really help with the expanded line of shades, as I was, am, making up the difference with Beyond and Zenostar.