Nesting

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
here are some in nesting right now. 2 units on the first because i'm near ready to step out the door to pick up the little one from school. and 2 cutback units on the second because that's all that will fit right now in the puck (and that's all i have ready!) nice and zoomed in so you can see the detail for supports and nesting overlap.
db6d152b87c9a4115a6bef5b1c9ef08e.jpg

271b9f8612e296d6b990d99c91b54de8.jpg

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
you'll want to be suuuuuper careful about nesting one-two at a time like that, unless your ability to put the puck in at PRECISELY the same spot is somehow more precision than the majority of users, it not going to end well.

far safer to put 10 in at a time, or fill a puck.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
here are some in nesting right now. 2 units on the first because i'm near ready to step out the door to pick up the little one from school. and 2 cutback units on the second because that's all that will fit right now in the puck (and that's all i have ready!) nice and zoomed in so you can see the detail for supports and nesting overlap.
db6d152b87c9a4115a6bef5b1c9ef08e.jpg

271b9f8612e296d6b990d99c91b54de8.jpg

I just need to do more overlapping and put sprues where they will catch some zirconia, as I was having units fall off during a mill. I can maybe get a small Bi or two in here, but this is kinda typical of how I was "gun shy", nesting. With the Beyond discs, I do have to keep the units away from the plastic collar, cause if I get them to close, the glue and space between the zirconia and collar causes the bur to vibrate and the spure would break off. Maybe I need to just use 3 sprues towards the linguals and corners like you show esp. on the outside edge units, so I can move them closer to the edge.

Again, this thread and your images and follow up have been helpful and made me think things through a bit more. Thanks again, sidebob :)

nesting.PNG

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
you'll want to be suuuuuper careful about nesting one-two at a time like that, unless your ability to put the puck in at PRECISELY the same spot is somehow more precision than the majority of users, it not going to end well.

I think that is where I was having some issues too, in nesting them to close and it being off just enough where I would get units dropping out due to a support not being there.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score

nonsense, been doing it this way for years. zero issues

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score

nonsense, been doing it this way for years. zero issues

lol...now tell em what you really think, bob :D
That wasn't directed at me (CHLs post),but it did make sense to me in my 3 at a time in nesting zirconia.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
lol...now tell em what you really think, bob :D
That wasn't directed at me (CHLs post),but it did make sense to me in my 3 at a time in nesting zirconia.
if you look at the image i posted of the wax puck you can see i made a slight sharpie mark where i line the pucks up every time. now, that being said i dont get them so close to edges that i could possibly be off a few mm and cut through a crown. but even if i did, i now have Miyo :D

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
Obviously everyone has a technique that works for him or her.
I nest every three units overlapping all the way then I leave a tiny zir structure between the set of threes.

Last edited:
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
thats still quite dangerous because you always take a chance when youve got to remove a puck and put it back in, then given axis motors may be a few microns off you run the risk even if your clocking was right the axis travel overshoot caused chips and chunks. still safer to leave more than that, at least compensate for half the diameter of the cutter, if not the repeatability of the machine. i.e. leave more than a half a mm and you can be a lazier person when it comes to milling.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
How do you nest doing your nesting method if I have fifteen unit to mill?.

oh easy. ill take pics of that next time for examples. since i have 12,14,16,18mm pucks and we are not a giant lab....we don't often have to mill that quite that many. i will purposely break them into 2 pucks based on thickness. why? 1st....less wear on tools and less mill time if they are in a 12mm puck and can fit. 2nd we can begin coloring half of them while the other half finish milling. and 3rd....cost. if i can get 28 units in a puck instead of 18 that's a huge money saver. drops my overall CoGS by a bit over the course of a year.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
thats still quite dangerous because you always take a chance when youve got to remove a puck and put it back in, then given axis motors may be a few microns off you run the risk even if your clocking was right the axis travel overshoot caused chips and chunks. still safer to leave more than that, at least compensate for half the diameter of the cutter, if not the repeatability of the machine. i.e. leave more than a half a mm and you can be a lazier person when it comes to milling.

same puck after milling.....and room left for another. weeeeeee
701fbd63be4563ab6489b943a57b26e1.jpg

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I just need to do more overlapping and put sprues where they will catch some zirconia, as I was having units fall off during a mill. I can maybe get a small Bi or two in here, but this is kinda typical of how I was "gun shy", nesting. With the Beyond discs, I do have to keep the units away from the plastic collar, cause if I get them to close, the glue and space between the zirconia and collar causes the bur to vibrate and the spure would break off. Maybe I need to just use 3 sprues towards the linguals and corners like you show esp. on the outside edge units, so I can move them closer to the edge.

Again, this thread and your images and follow up have been helpful and made me think things through a bit more. Thanks again, sidebob :)

View attachment 29461
does your puck holder go all the way around?

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
does your puck holder go all the way around?

No, it's a C clamp style. Do you have any other thoughts that could help, especially with the gap and sporadic glue Origin uses to glue the zirconia to the collar that makes it trickier to go all the way to the edge. I also get a pop up warning from the Wieland CAM if I get to close the the edge, to auto move it away. I know that can be disabled, but it helps with the Origin disc and their plastic collar.

Last edited:
sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
No, it's a C clamp style. Do you have any other thoughts that could help, especially with the gap and sporadic glue Origin uses to glue the zirconia to the collar that makes it trickier to go all the way to the edge. I also get a pop up warning from the Wieland CAM if I get to close the the edge, to auto move it away. I know that can be disabled, but it helps with the Origin disc and their plastic collar.
ive not played with origin pucks, so not really sure how to help with that. theres a glued collar on the puck? odd

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
ive not played with origin pucks, so not really sure how to help with that. theres a glued collar on the puck? odd

When I've gone to close to the edge and the crown or zircoina breaks out a bit there, it has a bit of a space, and what looks like glue to tack it in or to help stabilize the puck in the collar, maybe it helps to dissipate any milling vibration? I'll post a image tomorrow of what it looks like.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
I agree, I obviously nest according to height using from 10mm puck to 18mm as well.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score

Maybe not glued, but a compression type of fit? It just looked like what appeared to be blotches of glue, maybe it was leftover zi powder that if I would've toothbrushed it out like I did in the below photos?

So this is why I can't go all the way to the edge, without their being chatter and the units dropping out.

IMG_1548.JPG

IMG_1549.JPG

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Maybe not glued, but a compression type of fit? It just looked like what appeared to be blotches of glue, maybe it was leftover zi powder that if I would've toothbrushed it out like I did in the below photos?

So this is why I can't go all the way to the edge, without their being chatter and the units dropping out.

View attachment 29466

View attachment 29467
So on the end that hangs o utside if the C clamp, nest the to the and he and place the bucal on the outside ring and place the sprues in the lingual which will be on the inside. Your gonna cut them out before you overlap so it i s a fix for day milling. Night runs oitherwise.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk