Need advice on setting up a third design station

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Currently, we have a D800 3Shape scanner. The computer connected to that scanner is used to do all the scanning and some designing. We purchased a second seat license a couple years ago so we have another computer on the network that is just for designing. We need to add a third. My question is whether we will need any kind of a network upgrade to set up a third design station. I know larger labs have a server that runs their network. Is this something I need to look into? Thanks!

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
When we were in a similar situation we had the scan pc act as our "server" for the cad/cam area. Once we added more scanners and design seats we set up a dedicated server just for the cad/cam department.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
We have a d2000 as the server and 3 separate design stations. All hard wired to the network. I ended up get a large 24 port switch just because I hard wired all the pc in the lab with room for expansion if needed. 12 pc's hard wired overall. But for you i would simply say get the new pc and of there is room on the router plug it in. If not then simply get a small gigabyte switch like a 8port, get a decent one nother too cheap and you should be set.

I did a buddy of mine lab a few years back and pot 8pprt switches in the design room and in the cam room and he is running smoothly.

As for a main server I would just keep the d800 as the server and point all the network clients to it. I habe a total of 7 pc's pointing to the d2000 server no issues.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
We purchased a second seat license a couple years ago so we have another computer on the network that is just for designing.

So you now have two place to design at the same time, I hope you didn't buy the second seat thinking you needed it too separate from the d800, cause now you can have 2 separate design seats and a scan station.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Yeah, we are using the scan computer as a design station when it isn't being used to scan. Thanks for the info Sevan. This is exactly what I was looking for. DLN is better than Google. :)

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Just plug all your dongles into one computer that is from 3Shape and install Dental Manager as a client of that PC. It will point to that particular PC that has all the dongles on it. Easy peasy!

R

rookiee

Reaction score
Hi!

Is there any option with one designer seat to use it simultaneously one two pc's? I have pointed second station to first one for dongle but is it possible to use both at once? At least to design and afterwards "release" first one to save files on second station? Or I'm dreamin'...:D

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Hi!

Is there any option with one designer seat to use it simultaneously one two pc's? I have pointed second station to first one for dongle but is it possible to use both at once? At least to design and afterwards "release" first one to save files on second station? Or I'm dreamin'...:D
You will be able to design the crown, but you cant save it.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
There is not theory. As long as you close out the design on one computer, it frees the license up. Then you will be able to save it on the other computer.

WDL-Cali-Cad-Man

WDL-Cali-Cad-Man

Reaction score
We have a d2000 as the server and 3 separate design stations. All hard wired to the network. I ended up get a large 24 port switch just because I hard wired all the pc in the lab with room for expansion if needed. 12 pc's hard wired overall. But for you i would simply say get the new pc and of there is room on the router plug it in. If not then simply get a small gigabyte switch like a 8port, get a decent one nother too cheap and you should be set.

I did a buddy of mine lab a few years back and pot 8pprt switches in the design room and in the cam room and he is running smoothly.

As for a main server I would just keep the d800 as the server and point all the network clients to it. I habe a total of 7 pc's pointing to the d2000 server no issues.

Do you have a dedicated SQL server for the database for all the stations to link up to and share case information ? We have been wanting to consolidate to one database.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
There is not theory. As long as you close out the design on one computer, it frees the license up. Then you will be able to save it on the other computer.

We are going to buy a new computer this weekend to set up a third design station. I plan on trying out your suggestion Kent. Thanks! Now for the stupid question...how do I get the 3shape software on the new computer. I think I called my supplier last time and they downloaded it onto my second design station computer. Should I just do that again?

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
We are going to buy a new computer this weekend to set up a third design station. I plan on trying out your suggestion Kent. Thanks! Now for the stupid question...how do I get the 3shape software on the new computer. I think I called my supplier last time and they downloaded it onto my second design station computer. Should I just do that again?
Yes, if you aren't 100% sure. And haver them set it up as a network client. They know. Just tell them what your are trying to accomplish.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
New question: Does anyone have any experience with using a laptop as a design station? I was thinking that a laptop might be useful for being able to set up at remote site to demonstrate how we design crowns. While it is in the lab, I could connect a bigger monitor to the lap top so we wouldn't be using the small screen size all the time. Basicaly we would spend an extra $150 bucks on a laptop over a regular desk PC.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
New question: Does anyone have any experience with using a laptop as a design station? I was thinking that a laptop might be useful for being able to set up at remote site to demonstrate how we design crowns. While it is in the lab, I could connect a bigger monitor to the lap top so we wouldn't be using the small screen size all the time. Basicaly we would spend an extra $150 bucks on a laptop over a regular desk PC.
Sure it is possible, but you will need to get it with all the same requirements, and getting enough RAM and a proper video card will be your challenge.

J

Jimmy Noriega

Reaction score
Good evening, my friend, I would like to know if you can help me with the drivers of the 3Shape Scanner D800 since my PC was formatted and I could not install it again.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Good evening, my friend, I would like to know if you can help me with the drivers of the 3Shape Scanner D800 since my PC was formatted and I could not install it again.
If you have winrar or WinZip simply extract the installer exe file and navigate the folder and you will find scan server or scan suite and unzip that and you will find the installer for the scan software. What version do you install?

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Alieanware r13 or msi or Asus rog will do. 16 to 32gb of ram, nvidia 1060 or 1080 graphics and an i7 quad or hex core along with a ssd and your golden. Around 1500 to 2500 easy.

I still prefer desktop for the ability to simply repair if sh!t hits the fan.

Top Bottom