NADL - FDA discussion

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I hear they have released their assessment of the law, who has received their copy? Please post it

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
zr-ti good

ti abut bad

make ti abut by hand ok

clearly the computers are at fault. surely if you make it by hand it will be better.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
i want to see someone hand grind a ti blank by hand, water cooled and all.

Yourgoes

Yourgoes

Reaction score
"One odd result of this is that a lab can mill an abutment blank by hand but cannot use their best tools (CAD/CAM milling) to achieve what would be the same, or likely a better result for the patient.."
unsure-fry-meme-generator-not-sure-if-should-laugh-because-funny-or-sad-de95bb.jpg

Sam-CAP

Sam-CAP

Reaction score
I'd like to see an actual "Official FDA Statement", is there such a thing? Notice at the bottom of the NADL article:

Nothing in this article is intended as, nor should it be construed as or relied upon as legal advice. Please consult your legal advisor or a qualifi ed compliance consulting professional to determine any applicability to your individual business activities.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
My fees for hand milled or UCLA type abutments for angle correction greater than what will be allowed in CAD programs are now quadrupled.
Had to get my wooden club and stone chisels out of mothball storage.

When the restoring doc complains about the fees, I will refer him to a surgeon that works with me planning implant cases. I suggest you do the same, time to run the cowboy surgeons out of town.

Taylor

Taylor

Reaction score
I'd like to see an actual "Official FDA Statement", is there such a thing? Notice at the bottom of the NADL article:

Nothing in this article is intended as, nor should it be construed as or relied upon as legal advice. Please consult your legal advisor or a qualifi ed compliance consulting professional to determine any applicability to your individual business activities.
Hey sam, any news on what you guys at cap are doing? i spoke with some one and she said you guys were talking to your legal advisers.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
My fees for hand milled or UCLA type abutments for angle correction greater than what will be allowed in CAD programs are now quadrupled.
i got a warm fuzzy feeling when i read that sentence.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
i got a warm fuzzy feeling when i read that sentence.
It will take at least four times as long to do it the old way rather than with CAD. I didn't place the implant and can't move it. The lost revenue has to be made up somewhere.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
i like it because it is entirely justified due to legally binding verbiage. since it can no longer be done the cheap way, we have to do it the expensive way. puts a giant smile on my face.

Sam-CAP

Sam-CAP

Reaction score
Hey sam, any news on what you guys at cap are doing? i spoke with some one and she said you guys were talking to your legal advisers.

First I'm not 100% up on whats going on, my thoughts, feelings, and writing is my opinion and not CAPs. lol ;)

For CAP its complicated, we are a manufacturer as well as a provider of equipment that manufactures. The first step is to figure out when this ruling will be or if it is official and how long we have to put the necessary compliance parts in place. To do this CAP is hiring compliance people (lawyers or FDA people, I'm not sure). The goal is for CAP to be within compliance (we might be already? Again, not sure) and of course for our customers milling abutments to be in compliance or have a very clear path on whats involved and most important give them the tools to speak intelligently to their customers about whats going on.

Taylor

Taylor

Reaction score
First I'm not 100% up on whats going on, my thoughts, feelings, and writing is my opinion and not CAPs. lol ;)

For CAP its complicated, we are a manufacturer as well as a provider of equipment that manufactures. The first step is to figure out when this ruling will be or if it is official and how long we have to put the necessary compliance parts in place. To do this CAP is hiring compliance people (lawyers or FDA people, I'm not sure). The goal is for CAP to be within compliance (we might be already? Again, not sure) and of course for our customers milling abutments to be in compliance or have a very clear path on whats involved and most important give them the tools to speak intelligently to their customers about whats going on.
Cool let me know becaus i am one of those customers and I would like to continue milling i-h abutments as well as follow the rules.

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
So has this issue been resolved? I'm very confused now. I had an article dropped off "Are You Purchasing illegal Abutments" and it continues to state that you can only "hand-mill" blanks.
And what's to stop me from saying "yes it's a blank, yes I hand milled it" Who is going to know if it's hand-milled or CAM milled.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
i challenge you to say something along the lines of "I realized this hand milling was time eating and very laborious so to save time and generate an abutment with less rough edges and less wrist pain I programmed a special servo-controlled lathe with the exact shape i desired, but in doing so it has gone and cost me money to set it up so i'm still charging you 5x my old fee"

go on

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
Had to get my wooden club and stone chisels out of mothball storage.

When the restoring doc complains about the fees, I will refer him to a surgeon that works with me planning implant cases. I suggest you do the same, time to run the cowboy surgeons out of town.
"time to run the cowboy surgeons out of town"
Are surgeons behind this or the lobbying of implant companies?.