Monolithic Category

D

digitalcadcam

Reaction score
Well I am new here - Sorry Guys been busy at our Centre
Why is there no Monolithic Category? In one year it will be all you will be talking about! Demand is sky rocketing and companies are running to refine existing and or create `the material'

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
All we talk about is Monolithic.........Monolithic Lithium Disilicates. Let me guess, you want to discuss Monolithic Zirconium? Do you have a scientific research paper on abrasion, wear on natural dentition, the effects of occlusion over a period of time? Welcome to DLN

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
There is a Zirconia forum.

It's time Travis and John got up off their lazy a5s and update this forum.

I guess the guy is asking for an eMax forum.

I could think of a few more.

How about forums for geographic areas of the world? To see what shows and Demos are happening etc.

Scott

Clear Precision Dental

Clear Precision Dental

Reaction score
The progressive American rock band, Kansas released MONOLITH in 1979 (their 6th studio album). (I listen to this one in the lab all the time....)

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
There is a Zirconia forum.

It's time Travis and John got up off their lazy a5s and update this forum.

I guess the guy is asking for an eMax forum.

I could think of a few more.

How about forums for geographic areas of the world? To see what shows and Demos are happening etc.

Scott

I am sure if there is a need for this Travis will make it happen. Thanks for your tactful way of asking :rolleyes: LOL

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I guess eMax falls under the press-ceramic forum? (never really noticed that forum)

Just eliminate that title and call it eMax. Might as well?

John, I'm just kidding. I would like to see some random changes once in a while on this site. Colors, fonts, layouts, forums, home page features......something? I know that's not your job here, but I feel you are the only one I get to yell at. Thanks for filling in!

The viewers need a change every so often!

Last edited:
C

charles007

Reaction score
In my quest to the Ultimate cad/cam machine, and giving up quickly, I learned that many labs are quietly making many Monolith zir crowns across the country, and sometimes even shy away from telling you how to color and stain.........This maybe a hidden secret as to the volume of monolith crowns that are done per month.... I think its really growing fast.... especially with the cost of our alloys and gold so high at this time ...

Anyone know if 3M will join the bandwagon with this product or not ? If they do, it will hit the ceiling...... and knock the spit shine off gold.

Calling Scott for answers !!

sixonice

sixonice

Reaction score
i think the reason they may be waiting on full contour zirconia is because 3M knows (let's face it, they are a huge company that does good R&D on the products they sell) that these restorations will (and do) tear through anything they oppose be it natural teeth or laboratory fabricated restorations.

C

charles007

Reaction score
i think the reason they may be waiting on full contour zirconia is because 3M knows (let's face it, they are a huge company that does good R&D on the products they sell) that these restorations will (and do) tear through anything they oppose be it natural teeth or laboratory fabricated restorations.

I've heard and read as long as zir is highly polished, its ok......Time will tell the story.
In the meantime, many are made everyday........ and doctors are loving it.
So, right or wrong, this is a growing business for many.

Can't wait to hear from 3M... they may have the last say on this subject.... and most heard by all.

D

digitalcadcam1

Reaction score
MONOLITHIC: made of only one stone or characterized by massiveness, total uniformity, rigidity.

well, we have e.max? The IPS e. max lithium disilicate, for example, is composed of quartz, lithium dioxide, phosphor oxide, alumina, potassium oxide, and other components. Is that really monolithic or does it possess monolithic `like' strength? Sorry came across this description. Cad I would think would better fit the description as monolithic ? - (I just like to stir it up)

Or zirconia let's say BruxZir

Zirconia is a unique advanced ceramic, a chemical compound having the formula ZrO2. BruxZir is manufactured from yttria-stabilized zirconia (YSZ) powder, which exhibits superior mechanical properties such as high strength and flexibility. A technological breakthrough, YSZ surpasses the strength limitations of traditional fine ceramics.

Wow that really does not sound like a monolithic material either? or is it?

As for the Arguement?
Summary of the Enamel Wear Test at the University of Alabama
Published Jan. 29, 2010
The results after 100,000 cycles show that the volume loss in mm is
virtually identical between glazed IPS e.max® and glazed BruxZir®
Solid Zirconia.

Who knows! not enough Data - e.max will fracture in the posterior under severe load - or the Zirconia will wear the opposing once the stain and glaze has worn off.

Well I would have to give the edge to BruxZir - however polishing tends to create a pearl like shine or lusture (looks unnatural) on any Zirconia. Brawn or Beauty?

Keep your eyes open !!!! there is some new stuff coming down the pipe! There are a few BIG Material companies that are looking for a peice of that pie!

Slipstream

Slipstream

Reaction score
John, I'm just kidding. I would like to see some random changes once in a while on this site. Colors, fonts, layouts, forums, home page features......something? I know that's not your job here, but I feel you are the only one I get to yell at. Thanks for filling in!

The viewers need a change every so often!

One forum I dwell in changed all the "experience" tags to tea/coffee related. Ranking members from "new boy knows where the kettle is" to roasts his own coffee

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I thought Zirconia was classified as a metal.

I would rather have a crown fracture than do damage to the opposing.

C

charles007

Reaction score
I heard of a new resin zirconia that might hit the pipeline soon.......and other new stuff to mill........

D

digitalcadcam1

Reaction score
Heterogenous Materials

•Lithium Disilicate(350-400 MPa)
•IPS Eris (Ivoclar Vivadent)
•OPC 3G (Jeneric Pentron)
•IPS e.max Press and e.max Cad (Ivoclar Vivadent)
•Aluminum Oxide (500-650 MPa)
•In-Ceram (Vita/Vident)
•Procera (Nobel Biocare)
•Zirconium Oxide (900-1200 MPa)
•Cercon (Dentsply)
•Lava (3M ESPE)
•Zeno (Wieland Dental)
•IPS e.max ZirCad (Ivoclar Vivadent )
•Metal Ceramics

Achieving Functional and Aesthetic Excellence: The Latest All Ceramic Options
Pacific Dental Conference -Came Across This `Crazy'

http://www.pdconf.com/cms2010/attached/handout/pdf/143.pdf

JayH

JayH

Geek
Reaction score
Anyone know if 3M will join the bandwagon with this product or not ? If they do, it will hit the ceiling...... and knock the spit shine off gold.

Calling Scott for answers !!

I think 3M is definitely looking at this although I would think it would hurt DVS and all the R&D $$ they have into it, for them to release this as a viable alternative.

In the meantime, there is a way to make these FC crowns out of the HT zirconia on the LAVA mills. PM me if you would like more info please.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
"As for the Arguement?
Summary of the Enamel Wear Test at the University of Alabama
Published Jan. 29, 2010
The results after 100,000 cycles show that the volume loss in mm is
virtually identical between glazed IPS e.max® and glazed BruxZir®
Solid Zirconia."

Know where we can find the full details of this study?, would love to read it.

One thing though, 100,000 cycles in nothing, comparative 3 months intraorally?

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
The old and trusty FGC. beautiful on any margin/prep, kind to opposing dentition and if made well, good for 15 to 20 yrs (maybe more). Even today with all of our wizz bang crowns and technology, they can't be beaten.
sorry guys just feeling a little nostalgic today. lol

jeff

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Jeppsta, I'm with you on the foll gold crowns, except that the current cost of gold makes them rather expensive. Rob

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
One gold crown is still less expensive than than 2 ziconia crowns .