Clear aligners software

M

meteos01

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
My name is Arsenii; I am a student at Tartu University. Me and my team participating in the startup acceleration program. Initially, we thought we could develop a CAD solution for dental prosthetics and restoration, but after market research, we thought this segment was too crowded.

Right now, we are thinking about the clear aligners software segment, and I am responsible for market research. I've found the following companies in this market
ClinCheck Pro (by Align Technology, Inc.);
Spark (by Ormco Corporation);
ArchForm (by ArchForm Inc.);
uDesign (by uLab Systems, Inc.);
Maestro3d (by AGE Solutions S.r.l.);
Blue Sky Plan (by Blue Sky Bio, LLC);
SimplyCeph
Deltaface Aligner (by CORUO);
3Shape Clear Aligner Studio (by 3Shape A/S)
OnyxCeph (by Image Instruments GmbH
ArcadLab

Can I ask you to help me with answering the following questions:
1. Which companies are market leaders? Which are tier 2?
2. Who and why uses software developed by Company_1, Company_2, Company_3, etc. ? I will be glad if you help me understand for what target audience our future competitors have created their products, and if there any differences, for instance, dental labs use company_1, while dentists tend to use solution by company_2.

O

orthobaby1

Reaction score
Im also starting research for aligner software systems but I work for an office. I might be able to help a bit but I could be wrong about some stuff as I also am doing research and am new to this.

Currently we usually work with 3M and they do have a good aligner itself but software isn't favorable and they take a long time to fulfill orders (thus why we are looking into a new system). ClinCheck Pro (by Align Technology, Inc. - is Invisalign which is used by a lot of orthodontists, but my office hates the quality and thinks its very subpar, another orthodontist I know REALLY hates everything about invisaline, the product, the system, their business, etc.

From what I've been researching and seeing, uDesign by uLab seems to be on the rise. I can say for my office we are looking for something that is going to be able to automatically plan simple treatments but still allow for easy correction if needed, and another thing too is how efficient are the labs with getting your order and sending it back. Like I mentioned we work with 3M and they're very inconsistent with their timing on fulfilling orders which causes us complications when scheduling patients. Another thing too is how diversely comparable is the software with other tech. If we have a scanner from brand X but a software can only work with scanners from brands A, B, C, then it's automatically an option. I mention this because we have 3D printing and its something to consider in the bigger scheme of how and if this software will allow for us to be self sufficient in our own lab if and when we want to be. but also we still want to be able to send orders out if needed. I think overall it's hard to decide on which software to chose without interacting with it first. So much material that's out there about these brands/softwares is coming from them and it's just part of their own marketing so to say. I'm not sure when your project is due or your plans, but id recommend looking into going to the AAO meeting since most if not all those companies will likely be there and you can really understand the systems, and that's what im really planning on to make a decision with the orthodontist and other staff. If that's not an option maybe reach out to local orthodontists and see if they will give you some information as well.

Something else about the aligner business in general is how mail in companies are marketing themselves and providing "treatment". I keep hearing how those companies and their aligners are actually so awful and can end up causing more problems for people because I think they over rely on these automated aligner software systems not realizing or maybe caring that some patient cases require more thought/attention/detail or whatever. if your goal is to create a software for orthodontists I again really emphasize still having an ease of ability to correct things even on automated treatments if that makes sense.

It definitely sucks more personal reviews aren't out there for these different softwares but im sure that's all intentional for multiple reasons. Hope anything I said helps and/or others can add to it and give you what you need. I'll attach a link too that might help show you other treatment softwares.