Model dryer question

D

Drews Dental Lab

Reaction score
I have never used a model dryer. What are some recommendations on brands or what you like to use?

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Back in the day when the dinosaurs used to roam the land before I needed a toaster oven for drying out dipped, colored zirconia, I would put them on top of the burn-out oven that had been in use, or inside at a low temp.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Wasn't a "drying oven" used after dipping refractory casts in bees wax allow excess to drip off before work on partial frames?

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
I used to use a cardboard box with two holes in it and a hair dryer stock in one of the holes. Worked great.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I used to use a cardboard box with two holes in it and a hair dryer stock in one of the holes. Worked great.
I still occasionally use a hair dryer to dry my ceramic build-ups. Yamamoto used to have a foot peddle to control his with.

20230620_093009.jpg

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
I have a tiny baby hair dryer to soften wax patterns before taking them off the dies for investing.

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
I still occasionally use a hair dryer to dry my ceramic build-ups. Yamamoto used to have a foot peddle to control his with.

View attachment 43102

similar here using it for the rare porcelain margin to dry. Mostly use it in the winter when I come in from snow blowing and I need to thaw my fingers 🌬❄️.
molded about a pound of lab stone so it’s always accessibile on my bench.

AEDD0036-182E-467E-97EB-0514731A2170.png

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
similar here using it for the rare porcelain margin to dry. Mostly use it in the winter when I come in from snow blowing and I need to thaw my fingers 🌬❄️.
molded about a pound of lab stone so it’s always accessibile on my bench.

View attachment 43103
Same here, as far as any margin add-on. For emax, I'm using their margin liquid if needed for a touch-up. But for high fusing pfm' porcelain margins, I used to use a margin liquid (Duceram margin liquid?) that once I finished drying it, was so incredibly strong that it would pull off margin material flash when taking it off the die.

edit: I found the bottle, Noritake Magic Former margin liquid.

Last edited:
ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
Same here, as far as any margin add-on. For emax, I'm using their margin liquid if needed for a touch-up. But for high fusing pfm' porcelain margins, I used to use a margin liquid (Duceram margin liquid?) that once I finished drying it, was so incredibly strong that it would pull off margin material flash when taking it off the die.

edit: I found the bottle, Noritake Magic Former margin liquid.
My go-to since eon’s ago has been Vita30M. I think my last half bottle should last me till……. 😉

N

normee

Reaction score
I have never used a model dryer. What are some recommendations on brands or what you like to use?
After casting I place in front of the door to the burnout furnace- not inside!; or, place on top of the toaster to dry too.

W

Willard

Reaction score
I worked with a guy that used a heat lamp to dry models and would also cook his lunch under it

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Are you wanting models to set faster? What are you using a model dryer for? Using heat to accelerate model setting can lead to distortion.

doug

doug

Reaction score
We use ours after we trim them to expedite the drying so we can get our a$$es in gear.

Top Bottom