Milling Wax

J

jms804

Reaction score
Been considering buying a wax mill. I seem to see the Roland being used a lot. Are there any other suggestions.
Thanks

C

Crownu2

Reaction score
The dwx 50 is the best mill on the market in my eyes. Im looking to pick one up next year at the mid winter meeting....

Adolfo

Adolfo

Reaction score
I have a Wieland Mini and its perfect. :)

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Product Development, Inc. | Roland MDX-40D

This is the one I was going to get if I went wax only. This is from the same guy I purchased my DWX-50 from. He designed the dual puck holder for it. I think it was about $14,000.

Roland DG HOME >> Products >> 3D >> Milling Machines MODELA PROII MDX-540 Series >> Specifications

I had that POS. It would not calibrate the same after Power-off (or re-home). Always chasing calibration until I gave up. Forget Five axis, this was with 3+1. Please read why above. It is no secret.

If you have the "Fancy" Roland with the upgraded ball-screws for movement and not the rubber belts, then you might have 20um accuracy in the positioning of the axis when the mill is new. (This is no-load conditions)

If not, then you have 50um slop when new. Then add in spindle run-out, flexing of frame under load, etc....

Or, you could buy something German with 50x greater accuracy and 10x longer life-span, and much faster milling speeds that will also double tool life or more. Less broken margins and destruction in general.

Last edited:
J

jms804

Reaction score
What some of the examples of the German machines you are referring to.

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and spend the extra money to get a machine that will mill everything not just wax!