Metal prices with big labs

Travis

Travis

Nothing to see here
Staff member
Reaction score
How do these big labs charge 90.00 for a FCG that are 80%+ gold? Has anyone seen them cheaper?

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Mine average around 120.00, I charge 90.00 for the PFM, gold is extra. Now that's mostly a junior techs price. I'm special, I charge more......lol .........special ed maybe....lol You pay for what you get.

Travis

Travis

Nothing to see here
Staff member
Reaction score
I did a 77% FCG molar that had 200.00 in metal plus I charge 80.00 for the work.
These big labs cant be loosing money on each FCG crown they make can they?
I hate doing these restorations, contacts are such a bitch.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
laser welder my jedi master.....hehehe

JEmirzian

JEmirzian

Reaction score
I think I can speak for Travis when I say that a laser welder is not in the budget! I'd love to own one, but its just not in the cards right now Wish it was.......

Travis....How do you cut your contacts in for a FGC?

Last edited:
Travis

Travis

Nothing to see here
Staff member
Reaction score
I do as much as I can with the wax. I will finish the wax up and fit it back on the model making the contacts exactly the way I would want them in the metal. When I finish the metal I smooth and polish everything but the contacts. I will then try and seat it on the solid model, this is were I loose the contact. Your right about the cost of a laser welder. I also find it easier to remake the crown than to attempt to solder a contact on. I have been getting a lot of FGC lately and think I should find a course on soldering to help me fix this weakness I have.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Do you guys use a butane torch to do your contacts? Back in the day, I use to take a pencil (outline my contact area),add some flux to the inside of the penciled area, then use the butane torch to get my crown red hot, then place the sliver of gold to the contact area, it worked great and very simple for me. Hope this helps.

L

labdude

Reaction score
Just curious, y
Rob uses a laser welder, I use Oxy Acet.
Any of you guys use the hydrogen torch??
I used to use a butane torch for silver solder jobs, now I keep it for a qiuck job now and then. I use mostly Oxy Acet.
Also, I tack weld every joint befroe soldering with an electric tack welder. Holds parts right where you want them for soldering.
Mike.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Is the hydrogen harder to control than a Oxycetelene? Just curious is all.

L

labdude

Reaction score
Hi Rob,
May be harder in that it gets things hotter quicker. If your on your toes about it, it could be nice. Those torches are around 900 dollars. I remember changing from butane to oxy acet. It seemed to be to hot at first. Then you find the sweet spot and production goes up.
Mike.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
thanks Mike......I use a laser welder, fast, accurate, and if you're in need of a jolt to wake up in the wee hours of the morning, just tack yourself once.......better than 10 cups of coffee, let me tell ya.......lol

toothacts

toothacts

Reaction score
I'm an individual lab owner, do all work myself and charge 103.00 labor + Gold per dwt. for my FCG crowns.
PFM's are 136.00 labor + Gold per dwt.
I often wonder if my fees are excessive or if I am not charging enough. I know all to well the amount of time I put into my work, along with 30 years of experience, I charge for my time and offer excellent work. The high costs for Gold have increased my PFG's to over 200.00 per unit. Yet my labor fees remain moderate in relation to the cost of living, I am still paying for these high Gold prices. My All Ceramic crowns are less expensive then my PFM's.

Last edited:
trisha

trisha

Reaction score
Is there any particular reason you use oxy acet. instead of propane????? It is much cleaner then oxy acet.,don't you think?

trisha

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Hey Mike,
I know why Travis and Jem don't use oxycetylene for contacts, it would melt their crown, oxycetelene gets hot. It's great to use for casting but not contacts brother. Like I said before, if your doing gold, just just a butane, pencil, some flux and a sliver of gold, it's easy.

L

labdude

Reaction score
Never tried propane. Been set up with oxy acet for quite some time. Goes clean for me. Also the price of propane is much higher than oxy acet.

trisha

trisha

Reaction score
My husband is a metal sculptor and when I originally started out with oxycet. he told me to try propane it is much cleaner. I like it. I don't find that it is too expensive? I probably spend about $8 every 2-3 months.
trisha

L

labdude

Reaction score
So...propane require a different torch than is used for oxy acet???
What about hoop up to the tanks??

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Mike you can get one at Auto Zone for probably 30 dollars, the whole kit with tip and cannister. Doesn't burn as hot, but like Trisha said, it's much cleaner.

trisha

trisha

Reaction score
I use the Easy Torch from GL. I buy the oxygen and propane at Lowes or HD. I solder quite a few appliances and have not changed my propane cylinder since 10-07. I used the same set up for oxycet.

L

labdude

Reaction score
Thanks Rob and Trisha,
I do like the heat I get from oxy acet. Faster than cooler stuff. I think that if I had an employee, I would go to propane. I used to make them use butane and no oxygen.
I see your still talking about wilson in another thread. This guy a friend of yours or what???