Metal prices with big labs

M

Malcolm Graham

Reaction score
If I lose a contact on a gold crown, I just flux the contact and heat it over the bunsen, it does work better if you allready have the gold solder cut to length and sitting on the crown, then once the flow temp of the solder is reached it melts. I seem to have a little more contol of the flow this way and don't overheat the solder rather than heating it until it gets red hot then adding the solder to the hot crown. You can use a pencil as a anti flux to stop the solder from flowing to where you don't want it.

Pronto

Pronto

Reaction score
I do the same. I use Argen's Lo solder for contacts if that's all it needs. If I have to add a margin I use platinum foil and 500 just in case the contact gets burned off. I can just add it with the Lo and bunsen burner. I have city gas. Ox/acet is very dirty. Propane is cleaner. Butane is dirty too.

Z

zena

Reaction score
Do you guys use a butane torch to do your contacts? Back in the day, I use to take a pencil (outline my contact area),add some flux to the inside of the penciled area, then use the butane torch to get my crown red hot, then place the sliver of gold to the contact area, it worked great and very simple for me. Hope this helps.
thats how i do it to..

C

charles007

Reaction score
I did a 77% FCG molar that had 200.00 in metal plus I charge 80.00 for the work.
These big labs cant be loosing money on each FCG crown they make can they?
I hate doing these restorations, contacts are such a bitch.

CONTACT PROBLEMS ON GOLD

Thought I would pass this tip to those that have contact problems with their gold crowns.....Wax contacts correctly in the wax,then use Renferts Waxfinish, I paint on 3 layers on the mesial and distal contacts.. Follow the directions with this product.......3 layers will give you a very snug contact. Polish gold contact very lightly, don't try to polish perfect ! May want to use 2 layers of Waxfinish.....

If you loose a contact, solder over a bunsen burner, if you still use one. Use a low fusing solder, I use 585, don't use 615 . Takes less than a minute . Pencil above the margin if you are new to soldering...
Dust off the polished area on the contact with a stone etc, put a touch of flux on the contact, cut a small piece of solder slightly larger than the contact then place on the contact, then wave back and forth over the flame. Just before the solder flows, leave in the flame until it flows, just for a second....NO more !
If you need to resolder, grind off the dark oxide so the solder will flow again ......

If your doctors are bitching about the high cost of gold, use a White (silver)colored type 3 "Noble" alloy that many companies have been selling for 30 + years. No worries about discoloring......
The one I use is a Argen product that has 2% gold, 25 pd, 68 ag, copper free.
Grinds and polishes like gold, with a very low price......

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Buy $4 cig lighter from convience store (the blue flame, almost invisiable)

Get/ make a "lazy Susan" turn table.

Draw circle with #2 pencil, and support crown with porc. pillow (spun quartz or alumina fibers) have the solder side up of course.....If crown is thin, then fill with investment to keep margin from melting. (I have even used a chunk of silicone matrix material without the catalyst)

Go slow with heat. Pre heat crown in oven if you want.
I do use pink paste flux to hold on piece of solder.

I could solder a contact while driving to a docs office in rush hour traffic. It's that simple.

A

anne2010Ma

Reaction score
Is there a website that tells you what the current Gold per dwt? Thank you!

Anne