Making provisional implant crowns from Trios scans?

GoldRunner

GoldRunner

Reaction score
We have a local oral surgeon who wants us to make provisional implant crowns from Trios IOS to contour tissue within the first 48 hrs after surgery. Problem is that most companies do not have a digital solution. We thought we could use Nobel Biocare Ti bases but there is no corresponding DME for a digital impressions. We could easily make them from a model, but IOS posses a problem. Or we can use "inclusive" Ti bases, but then they have to use Glidewell scan bodies. Also We asked Glidewell about how can we adjust PMMA fit with inclusive bases and they said it was not possible? Can we add our own PMMA material correlating to the Ti bases. How about NT trading?

These are the most common platforms that we need digital solutions for provisional implant crowns: I'd like to use OEM parts if possible.

Nobel Biocare
Zimmer
Implant direct
Strauman

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
pretty simple really.

print model first

buy parts, grind.

scan parts on model.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Nobel does have an IOS solution for the conical connection using their Universal base.

GoldRunner

GoldRunner

Reaction score
Not so simple. They send us a scan late in the afternoon and expect a temp crown by 12PM the next day delivered to the general dentist. It is a major disruption to workflow and delivery schedule. We explored milling small models but that took two plus hours. I'll probably only do it for my clients because we will get the final case.

We thought the NP Tibases would work also until we tried it. Another lab unsuccessfully tried as well. Maybe in 3S 2014? The Ti base seems to only be correlated to the lab scan body? Nobel support says it is not possible with IOS. You probably figured a way to work around it....If you have the solution John, Nobel Biocare would love to know!

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
Nothing like unreasonable requests!
Do you have a printer in the lab?
If you can get your hands on an ELOS IO Scan body for Conical connection and download and install the ELOS IO library you can design the model. you will need a ELOS digital analogue. If you want to then use a universal base you can set up a new order selecting the nobel base and import the scans from the original job folder....that will have the implant co-ordinates in it. They use ELOS for their scan bodies so everything will translate perfectly.
Still without a printer to manufacture it overnight it would be tight!
Hit me up if you need more info.
Good luck!

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Lachlan outlined what we use for Nobel cases, it works for conical NOW.

I would just plan to do these cases modeless for singles.

As for fit thats a machining issue, I can tell you that our cad bases slide in like butter no matter what library we use.

The only thing you have to communicate with your client is which scan locator to use to match up with the CAD base you want to use. While many of the locators are keyed correctly and will allow you to switch cross brand not everyone will work (the table of the fixture will be correct but the rotation will be off).

It makes it super easy to buy one brand that will cover the fixtures the surgeon uses. It makes your life much easier in the lab as well.

GoldRunner

GoldRunner

Reaction score
Thanks guys will try this afternoon!

GoldRunner

GoldRunner

Reaction score
Ok that did not work. We made a new work order with the Ti unbiased selected. There are three files each in the upper and lower folders. Tried two of them. So which do we import? The coordinates are not being transferred.

keith goldstein

keith goldstein

Reaction score
I am working with a periodontist trying to make custom healing abutments and he spoke to the head of research at nobel and asked about PMMA vs. PEEK and they said to use PEEK. I will find out the reason why vs. PMMA for long term temporaries. In 1 month we will have intraoral scan bodies for 3shape/DW/Exocad but the turnaround time unless you have your own mill is going to be difficult to comply. Either way you are going to have to buy scan bodies from whomever you use and corresponding ti bases and library files.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
PMMA interfaces fracture. Don't waste your time.

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
Zirconia works well. Non engaging interfaces milled direct to fixture.
Support Bar.PNG Abutment Design 5.PNG _MG_1204.JPG _MG_1216.JPG

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
we sell scan bodies to our doctors and mill PMMA. as long as you're within 25 mile radius and send before 10AM, we'll deliver by 4pm that day.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Why not use the scan bodies as temp abutments?

They're made of peek don't you know?

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
I believe PEEK is alot denser and PMMA have porosity, not to mention incomplete polymerisation
leading to effect of monomer on the soft tissues.
Then again, I trust a full temp abutment that the acrylic resin can bond directly to anytime
than something like a short Ti-base . . .
My 2 cents, FWIW.
LCM

Top Bottom