Locator in Valplast

D

Davesgone

Reaction score
Hello gang,
Don't ask me why, but one of my Docs has had a Valplast RPD with a locator in it. Any ideas on how to explain to him how to get the locator secured into the Valplast?

Thanks, Todd

DentureDude

DentureDude

trained monkey
Reaction score
never done it before but if i had to...
i would probably try and set the locater in a small circle of regular acrylic and have that embedded in the valplast with some mechanical retention built around the edges of the circle.
if you have enough room.
not sure if i would trust the metal jacket to stay in valplast alone.

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
I would caution that depending on how much flexure, the undercut may still be inadequate
to prevent problems like debonding, etc.
LCM

M

Makes Dentures

Reaction score
Too bad there are no attachments available that have a cap with a retention bar on the top you can bend and cut to size (like a piece of flat wwire).

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Someone else on here had success with the following:
Get a small screw, larger than the cap, with machine thread
heat the screw and run it through the valplast giving a threaded hole.
run a thin heated tool edge up one or two sides of the threaded hole to break the thread path and prevent backing out
Cold cure/light cure/dual cure/whatever cure into the hole as if its a "normal" acrylic prosthesis.

NOT my idea, just remember it.

C

cmsilvoy

Reaction score
The locator housing doesn't do well with welding , laser or otherwise.....

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Too bad there are no attachments available that have a cap with a retention bar on the top you can bend and cut to size (like a piece of flat wwire).
Is the impression housing coping not suitable for the oral climate? That has a large retentive area on top. You could lazer weld ortho wires on top.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I have processed many attachments in Valplast, some work better than others. What matters most is the amount of thickness you can get around the attachment and how you allow the material to cool. Leave the case under preasure from injecting for min of 1hour. Do not over heat the material using big white knockdown wheels. Wax you patterns precisely.

There is a thread on here where I took pictures before years ago, I think it was a zagg attachment

Good luck

D

Davesgone

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your help. The case was delivered yesterday, the Dr used cold cure acrylic seat the locator in the Valplast. My Valplast lab helped tremendously by reaming out a hole with a groove.