Learning step one.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Im just trying to learn. Roland, 4 vs 5, Wieland mini. Im in the infancy of assimilating knowledge. I just called Ivoclar to request info on the mini and software. For the first time with them, customer service was lacking.

"It comes with basic software, or for $5500 more you can get other software".
Whats the difference? Which software is it?
"I dont know, but you can look at the Wieland site".

Well, that didn't tell me a whole lot. Scott (***) has pounded it in to our heads that Roland is a paper printer toy, and I respect Scott so I thought Ill start my search with the 'real mill'.

$28000 with software included seems reasonable enough...but if Roland is good enough for CAP, plus they play here and aren't d!cks, paper printer tech might not be so bad...?

Like Ive said before; I don't even know the questions. Im just listening.

Question though...If Wieland has 'basic' software, whats the benefit of paying more for different software? I know Im going to hear words like feed rate, strategy, and stuff (my word),but just for copings and FC milling of wax and zir...basic cuts it?

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
I would would check it the Imes Icore 250i comes with 5axis which you will need and comes with wet milling so you can do Emax cad. I know people wight Roland's that are still rocking after 10k units but i also know people that have had issues within the first 6 months. Stay away from 4 axis you will need 5 axis sooner or later.

I like the 250i because it is still a table top mill but defiantly heavy duty spindle and granite base.

Here is a link to the new 250i.

http://dentallabnetwork.com/forums/threads/thoughts-on-new-imes-250i-design.16434/

user name

user name

Reaction score
Im not going to do emax CAD or metal. Just zir and wax. Price is very important too; Im a one man show and Ive got two girls that are going to be going to college soon, so most of my money is going that direction. I could out source forever maybe, but Im just looking at what I can do for $500 a month.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
You can't go wrong with a Roland...specially if you're planning to cut Zr and wax only. CAM is important as well...if you're a quick learner and tech savvy get Sum3D... it's feature based so you must master it to be able to use its full potential ( might have a support fee associated with it, so do your do diligence beforehand ). Another alternative is Go2CAM, its knowledge based, less headache for a beginner, has an advanced nesting module for an extra fee.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Tech savvy? No.
Smart? not really
Adaptable? not so much

I have a rotary dial app on my phone.

Im anxious to hear about the mill *** and Primus are going to be putting out, but Im betting its going to be out of my reach.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Mini owners swear by them,,, some labs buy several Mini's using one optional Advanced CAM to run several mills
Roland is 40k but extra 5th axis....For a 1 man show, is the price difference worth it for 5th axis?.... that's the bottom line.
The other difference is life of tools. If it makes a difference, the Mini is a touch faster at milling..
Advanced Cam on Mini does Auto nesting, and unless its changed, you need AV Cam to use .3 tool if you want to use on wax.

Best to call Wieland for info on the Mini.. Ivoclar is still in the learning mode.

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
All the brands you are considering are well built and will get the job done. The difference is features that make the machine nicer to live with on a daily basis and the level of support available in a timely manner if something does go wrong.

Roland DGA is based in Irvine California, which means we have parts and service in the US and can hot swap a machine either through our regional offices or resellers. How do the other manufacturers support their resellers and customers with parts and service? If a reseller decides to drop the product 2-3 years after you buy what are your options for support, parts and repairs from the manufacturer? Where do you ship the machine? What does it cost and how long does it take?

What is the exact procedure to set up and calibrate the machine? Take a look at the set up manual and/or videos provided by the manufacturer before you buy. Can you do it yourself or do you need a technician to come in and do it for you? What happens if you need to move the machine or change the location of your lab? Do you pay to have the technician visit again?

Roland offers two DWX mills. Both mills cut wax, zirconia, PMMA (acrylic) and are approved by 3M ESPE for LAVA Ultimate:
  • The DWX-50 is a 5 axis mill for $29,995 + the cost of open CAM software. The 5th axis gives you access to undercuts, the ability to tilt a taller restoration to fit into a thinner puck (saves money) and the ability to do full arches.
  • The DWX-4 is a 4 axis mill for $17,995 and includes CAM software. It was designed as a high quality, entry level machine that will do the bulk of work for many labs: single restorations, abutments, and 3 unit bridges.
You are correct, Roland DGA is very proud to have CAP and several other top milling centers in the US and Canada use multiple DWX-50's for high volume production. The mills, our resellers and Roland DGA have proven themselves to be reliable partners long after the sale.

http://www.rolanddga.com/products/milling/dwxseries/

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Username. Since you are inept eith computers maybe a simpler solution is within your grasp. Laserdenta. Comes wiyh its own interface and strategy tat you simply cant screw up.

Failing that you might try instead sending your files to a new lab. Shop around. Ask your dln buddies. Im sure they can even organize a friends-n-family discount for you.

however of one thing i am certain. Stick with CAP. they will hold your hand through the gambit.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Well the Roland DWX-4 is out of the question if you plan on getting a good anatomy, it only has two tools for cutting. The DWX-50 is 30K + cam Sum3D 7k so your at 37K. The weiland mini comes with a basic and simple to use CAM software, I have 2 VHF mills both 4axis and for standard crown and bridge it is perfect. Small foot print, easy to use clean and calibrate. Has 6 tool to use from wax and ZR separate except for the .6mm get shared across all materials. You won't need the fifth axis until you start milling bigger bridge cases requiring undercut removal and screw retained implant bridges. Other then those cases a four axis is perfect for what you want to do.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Im not going to do emax CAD or metal. Just zir and wax. Price is very important too; Im a one man show and Ive got two girls that are going to be going to college soon, so most of my money is going that direction. I could out source forever maybe, but Im just looking at what I can do for $500 a month.

Outsource forever my friend,that's what I'm gonna do .

Peace of mind knowing someone else is taking care of your structures while you create the magic.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Outsource forever my friend,that's what I'm gonna do .

Peace of mind knowing someone else is taking care of your structures while you create the magic.
Why? Knowing you to the extent I do, Im assuming you've done the ROI? I haven't. Im frustrated with the results Ive had outsourcing. PM me and give me a clue to your outsource partner?? What mill are they using? Zir? Stains? If I can find a relationship with someone who does nice work, then I wont go any further. I know one place...but at their price, I might as well buy the equipment.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
What rkm does has never really been a secret. I dont think hed mind if it was said aloud either. Send your gold to bego for cadcast. Send your pfms to argen for slm printing. Send your zirconia to whomever youve found to do the best work. Etc etc. Essentially means he can buy any cad program and go nuts. Never have to buy anything else. Never haveto buy gold. Never have to keep inventory on hand for printing. Dont waste time making things or casting or such. Just click the design and wait for fedex.

In the mean time he can talk to docs and build his base.

user name

user name

Reaction score
What rkm does has never really been a secret. I dont think hed mind if it was said aloud either. Send your gold to bego for cadcast. Send your pfms to argen for slm printing. Send your zirconia to whomever youve found to do the best work. Etc etc. Essentially means he can buy any cad program and go nuts. Never have to buy anything else. Never haveto buy gold. Never have to keep inventory on hand for printing. Dont waste time making things or casting or such. Just click the design and wait for fedex.

In the mean time he can talk to docs and build his base.
"Waste time making things"??!?!! WTF. I do this because I LOVE MAKING THINGS.

That floors me. That's like, 'why go fishing? Theres a store just down the road'.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Ya i get you. But if you camt wrap your head or wallet round he whys and wherefores of using the tool that makes the things then let someone else make it and spend more time fishing.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Its not that I cant wrap my head around it. I just haven't learned it yet. I cant afford a girlfriend either, but Im still gonna go out and shop for one tonight.

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
Bob, how many FCZ are you doing a month? Do you do any big round house bridges or anything like that?

user name

user name

Reaction score
Very few...half dozen maybe, and then zir copings. Things vary a lot month to month. I know at this point ROI is foolish, but if Im able to either get or produce consistent quality digital product, then Ill be confident in switching my Doctors to prescribing it. I don't think Ill ever be a fan of FCZ, but zir as a frame is awesome. I love PFZ.

Toast

Toast

Reaction score
User, if you decide this is the road you want to take don't over look the imes 240i. We purchased the 240i through DAL DT Technologies and just finished up 2 1/2 days of on site training with their installation technician Kaleb. He broke it down for us and walked us through each step until we were confident we could do it on our own. As far as the 240i I couldn't be more impressed with it. I never thought we would be up and milling so quick, I had that thing running all day today. I researched like crazy before we purchased and read all the opinions here on 4 vs 5 axis. While there are valid arguments on both sides the common sense choice for us right now is a 4 axis. There's room for a 5 axis mill right next to the 240i when the time comes. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. We were asking ourselves the same questions and looking at the same mills you are now, but I'm happy we ultimately purchased the 240i. Best of luck to you.

C

charles007

Reaction score
I know several techs that run the cad/cam dept in a larger lab.. not the owner. There in charge of running 3 Mini mills, several imes 240i,'s, 440, 450, and other brands not worth talking about. Between the 3 Mini's they use and the 240i's, there favorite mill is the imes 240, and the 440 with the dual puck holder. They told me the 4 axis mills can mill 95+ to 98% of the work that comes in. It's a no brainer that a 5 axis mill is needed to mill 100% of cases, and when that rare large bridge comes into a small 1 man lab like Bob's, and bars if your doing them, which Bob is not at this time.
When a one man lab like user name hits a brick wall with the decision of which mill to buy, does it come down to initial cost only. Its easy like user name said to not look at the ROI when your wanting total control to deliver cad/cam crowns, and faster production to pay for the cad/cam cost of doing business. Having a cad/cam setup will grow any lab with hard work and the confidence to know you can talk your accounts into buying into cad/cam restorations. Having said that, does that mean a 5 axis Roland mill or Imes 250i is priced to high for a one man show to buy ? Should labs this size only consider buying 5 axis mills knowing implants/fcz/pfz are the fastest growing segment in our business ? Or do you look at the cheapest, best made mill, with the best support. And should the mill be a dry only, or wet dry mill, or consider buying a second mill for wet milling later if wet milling is needed ? Very difficult questions to answer, even from the resellers of mills !

Many labs are really impressed with the 5 axis Roland, and I haven't heard anything negative about Roland mills from friends I know that bought them. Even some Milling labs use DWX 50 Rolands, but there is a hidden cost not talked about in buying some 5 axis Cams. There is a yearly update cost on the CAM, and the much higher initial cost of a 5 axis Cam. If you don't pay the Update cost on the Cam, the Cam can revert back to an older Update !
The 240 and the Mini that Bob is considering, there are no yearly cost on the Cam. So, is it best to pay more for a 5 axis mill, pay the yearly Cam cost, save a little by being able to use smaller pucks sometimes. Being able to mill the select few large bridges that may come in a small lab. Or is it a wiser decision to spend less on the mill, send out that rare large bridge, and let another lab mill and deal with re-milling difficult bridges.

On both 4 axis mills, the Mini and 240i, the 240i can use longer lasting coated tools to save on tool cost that the Mini can't, I think ?? debatable subject.
The cost between the Mini and 240i, and depending on the Advanced Cam option on the Mini is between 3k or 8k more to buy the 240i. Advanced Cam with the Mini can use .3 tools that you may want to use in milling wax ?
The 240i mill has a 4k wet option that neither the Mini or Roland offer. This is an option that could be used now, or with future materials.. At this time the 240i mills to slow to mill emax. Could this change in the future with updates on the CAM ? My guess is yes in the future when more non-cerec mills start milling emax as more is learned on how the Cam can speed up the milling. Resellers of mills are trying to shorten mill time on emax and zirconia now, and their milling time is faster now than 3-4 months ago with emax.
We're at year one of non-cerec/e4d mills milling emax and getting better results than cerec/e4d users.. (TABLE TOP MILLS )Wet milling may or may not play a large part of the future of milled crowns in commercial labs rather than just our accounts that bought into the Cerec in-house idea. With the new age of intra-oral scanners to come, wet milling may become a must have to offer one day/fast turnaround crowns. Offering a 1 day to 5 day turnaround may become the norm for the average lab. Woops, drifted off subject..
The new imes 5 axis 250i wet and dry mill, aprox 10 to 12k+ more than the 240i, depending on the reseller, mills at aprox the same speed of big brother 450i, if using the same CAM..
Strictly looking at initial cost of the Mini and the Roland, and not doing bars and few large bridges, its going to take a lifetime to break even on spending 12k more on the Roland. Plus the extra cost of updating the Cam, when ever its needed, or wanted to update.
Another question, do you always need to pay for Updates on a 5 axis Cam ? How often do users of Sum3d Cam users pay for update cost.
What is the cost of the Updates on the CAM ? this is apart of the cost. Some labs want totally control and willing to break even to have totally control of your frames, brands of materials, and coloring, no matter the cost of a slighter higher priced mill..... within reason..

Between the mills that user name is considering, 28k- 33k Mini, 36k imes 240i, and 38-40k Roland, its a clear choice on which mill to buy .... Right lol

If its not crystal clear on which mill to buy, take a look at Jensen's vhf 22 to 28k mill, or Amann Girrbach 30-40k 4&5 axis wet/dry mills.

Wow, I'm exhausted ... must read my new IDT to get my strength back... lol

Last edited:
ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
Imes Icore 250i comes with wet option from the get go and runs around 37k still cheaper then the Roland.

Top Bottom