Lava Ultimate

M

macminn

Reaction score
I understand that at least one source has a fixture to be able to mill Lava Ultimate on the Roland mill. Who sells the Ultimate material? I assume it's Jensen, and are they ok with selling to anyone, with or without a 3M/Jensen mill?

Second question on this material, I assume it's much like eMax CAD in that the blocks are preshaded?

What is the cost of the blocks?

Thanks

Last edited:
BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Yes, the blocks are pre-shaded. However, Currently only available in about half the shades. Most of the dark shades are not available. The blocks are $28 (I think) from Jensen in a lava frames.
Not sure what Jensen's position is on selling into other mills.
You can call them at 800 243 2000.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
I was told the material was only going to be available for the Lava mill and the Cerec mill. It would be crazy to only sell it for those mills in my opinion, but there will be a lot of other resin at the Chicago show.

M

macminn

Reaction score
I was told the material was only going to be available for the Lava mill and the Cerec mill. It would be crazy to only sell it for those mills in my opinion, but there will be a lot of other resin at the Chicago show.

If I have a holder for my Roland (Sum3d has one),I guess I could buy the cerec blocks from patterson, correct?

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
If I have a holder for my Roland (Sum3d has one),I guess I could buy the cerec blocks from patterson, correct?

Yes, but cutting the material dry is probably going to be a challenge, though I'm sure someone has written a strategy for it.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Just talked to Scott and Nick at 3m. Sharp guys;) explained a lot about their material. Sounds promising. Going to try and make a trip to the southeastern to check it out.

Sam-CAP

Sam-CAP

Reaction score
Just talked to Scott and Nick at 3m. Sharp guys;) explained a lot about their material. Sounds promising. Going to try and make a trip to the southeastern to check it out.

I heard that Lava Ultimate is 20% sintered zirconia and 80% plastic. I'm sure the plastic is a very advanced high performance type of course ; )

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
I heard that Lava Ultimate is 20% sintered zirconia and 80% plastic. I'm sure the plastic is a very advanced high performance type of course ; )

Highly filled. This is incorrect.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I thought it was 80% Zr and 20% resin?

As of January 1st 2013 it will be files as an all ceramic.

I may have them mixed up?

Last edited:
Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
Yeah i thought 80 zr 20 resin. It's funny, I have mentioned it to a few dentists. they shut it down "saying oh so its a resin? I dont want to go near that"
Has anyone used nexco stains and glaze on them? That kit looks nice.
I know they say symphony but not being a resin pro what would the difference be?

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
The difference is its not a 3m product :)

That and they fact that they endorse the Sinfony product line as "Matched" for ultimate. I like sinfony, I would not mind using it some more but I think the pull date is close or over the limit on my big ass kit.

Ahh the days of indirect Resin inlays/onlays.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
80% by weight. Not Volume.

You need someone to define the position and thickness of block into your CAM.

You would need Rhino or something else to draw up the curves to define this to match your holder.

This will locate the material in CAM and you need real mill and fixture to be the exact same.

R

Rick Sonntag

Reaction score
Yeah i thought 80 zr 20 resin. It's funny, I have mentioned it to a few dentists. they shut it down "saying oh so its a resin? I dont want to go near that"

Don't worry, they will with the right marketing and "education". It wasn't that long ago they were saying "Empress II, I don't want to go near that", now it's the dominant restorative material.

Rick

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Don't worry, they will with the right marketing and "education". It wasn't that long ago they were saying "Empress II, I don't want to go near that", now it's the dominant restorative material.

Rick

maybe, but consider Lava Ultimate is just one of a big pool of competitive products. relatively speaking it is a late bloomer to the Ceramic Monolithic restorations era of dental practice; undoubtedly Resin restorations (and the associated prep changes) will one day eclipse the cerams. but in order to do so it will take a lot of years of successful cases in the mouth.

the old catch 22; the product needs to be in the mouth before dentists will consider using it.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
The difference is its not a 3m product :)

That and they fact that they endorse the Sinfony product line as "Matched" for ultimate. I like sinfony, I would not mind using it some more but I think the pull date is close or over the limit on my big ass kit.

Ahh the days of indirect Resin inlays/onlays.

In Europe we are still in these days.. its insane, some Drs would rather use one-winged composite maryland bridges than zirconia and composite crowns over emax.. even when its made less than 30 mins from here!

REJ

REJ

Reaction score
Possibly too much info, I invented lava ultimate, it can be wet ground, dry or wet milled, possible machines are all lava mills, cerec, e4d, imes for all forms, I am working with imes on the best strategies since they can do any of them.

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Ryan, did you ever try a Single-flute tool for Roughing?

I would think that would be the ticket for making the chips fly.

Then, are you specifying Climb-milling mostly to reduce heat in dry-mills?

I would also think this would be better than Bi-directional, or down-milling.

Scott

Top Bottom