Latest Bar Case

brayks

brayks

Sponsors
Reaction score
Had this case come through the other day that required a slight alteration to our templates; no problem now.

Pics are taken immediately after machining, no hand-work.

Finish was very nice and the fit was absolutely spot-on- just as expected from the Versamill 5X200 and "The Axsys Advantage".

I'll have to check the machining time but as I recall it was completed in a very reasonable time-frame.

All-in-all not too bad I'd say...

Last edited:
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Neat ! Can we have this with the next update? I really need to familiarize with bars if I am gonna be managing these from other labs.

Axis Dental Milling

Axis Dental Milling

Reaction score
Looks good but can you minimize the mill lines? That is a lot of finishing work by hand.

brayks

brayks

Sponsors
Reaction score
Looks good but can you minimize the mill lines? That is a lot of finishing work by hand.
Actually the cusps look much more significant in the zoomed images then they actually are (10 microns=.00039").

Having said that, yes indeed they can easily be minimized even more. As always its a trade-off of machine time vs finishing time. We usually go with more time on the machine to minimize hand-work. This one took 2.5 hours (all on 4 takes approx 1-1.5 hours).

Also this particular case, due to the geometry forces use of a ball-nose endmill (the least effective). Switching to a bull-nosed endmill would also help. Something we were planning on incorporating however our customers do not want to loose the cusps.

The original templates produced 3.5 micron cusps however our doctors (customers) wanted more pronounced cusps (as in these images) at 10 microns. Of course that varies as well because some want more than others- our templates allow for a choice.

Last edited:
brayks

brayks

Sponsors
Reaction score
Yes you can with the addition of the bar module. Give me a shout when you get a minute...

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Steve,

Next time you're in Birmingham, please stop by. I'd love to catch up and talk some Dentmill/Powermill.

Kent

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
who swings thru Birmingham?
it "just doesn't happen"

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
I was in Birmingham last week.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
He should have but didn't. You know, I have done a little business with

him. :)

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
I had no idea you were there.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Is it possible to make these bars from a Trios scan or are we still at the analog impression stage?

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
I wouldn't think that stitching scans across an arch is accurate enough...unless there's foolproof way... We're doing a verification jig for each bar case just to be on the safe side...

brayks

brayks

Sponsors
Reaction score
Is it possible to make these bars from a Trios scan or are we still at the analog impression stage?
Yes it is possible, we have Labs and Dr.'s doing them now.

brayks

brayks

Sponsors
Reaction score
I wouldn't think that stitching scans across an arch is accurate enough...unless there's foolproof way... We're doing a verification jig for each bar case just to be on the safe side...
It is actually. With the correct machining strategies, cutting parameters, tool axis control and software algorithms and of course the understanding of how to use them. We do all this and package them in our templates to produce the accuracy and finish desired in an automated fashion. No need for verification jig.

For example; identification of steep and shallow topography and "auto-magically" applying the appropriate style of tool motion/machining strategy in each area with true control of cusp height, tool-axis generating smooth motion is key. Also important is how the tool transitions between adjacent steps as well as enters and exits the stock.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
It is actually. With the correct machining strategies, cutting parameters, tool axis control and software algorithms and of course the understanding of how to use them. We do all this and package them in our templates to produce the accuracy and finish desired in an automated fashion. No need for verification jig.

For example; identification of steep and shallow topography and "auto-magically" applying the appropriate style of tool motion/machining strategy in each area with true control of cusp height, tool-axis generating smooth motion is key. Also important is how the tool transitions between adjacent steps as well as enters and exits the stock.

You're right...could one control the cutting to the finest level, yet the accuracy will still depend on input data... IO scanners with their narrow field of view need to stitch several reads across soft tissue from one scanbody to another... will inadvertently accumulate some errors...

brayks

brayks

Sponsors
Reaction score

You're right...could one control the cutting to the finest level, yet the accuracy will still depend on input data... IO scanners with their narrow field of view need to stitch several reads across soft tissue from one scanbody to another... will inadvertently accumulate some errors...

Absolutely right. Having no control over the raw input data, depending on the content of the input file(s),we provide software tools to make modifications to the data and analyze the results to determine the accuracy of the modifications. However its still relative to the input data. The old saying: "Garbage in, garbage out" comes to mind.

Among other things, scanner hardware/technology, software tools, parameters, user technique, etc determine how good the final result "could be", the aforementioned CAM software considerations, machine tool characteristics and tooling determine how good the results "will be".

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Absolutely right. Having no control over the raw input data, depending on the content of the input file(s),we provide software tools to make modifications to the data and analyze the results to determine the accuracy of the modifications. However its still relative to the input data. The old saying: "Garbage in, garbage out" comes to mind.

Among other things, scanner hardware/technology, software tools, parameters, user technique, etc determine how good the final result "could be", the aforementioned CAM software considerations, machine tool characteristics and tooling determine how good the results "will be".

IMO, if it is not something that anyone can do without some magic potion, then it is not ready for primetime.

Top Bottom