Lateral Screws

A

adamb4321

Reaction score
I've got a horrible case in the pipeline that will be screw retained but utilising two existing straumann cement retained abutments.

For a variety of reasons it is not going to be possible to replace the existing cement retained abutments for something more suitable.

Is there a lateral screw conversion kit that I can get that would contain the relevant drills, taps and screws etc to be able to make a screw retained device.

It doesn't matter if it's made by straumann (actually would be better if it wasn't)

any help appreciated!

Last edited:
rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I'm in the exact same boat as we speak.

I purchased my set from Bredent.

Problem for me is that I wish to use a cr/co frame.

Scotts studio

Scotts studio

Reaction score
Attachments international, Talk to Darwin.

A

adamb4321

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I've gone with the Bredent set.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I've gone with the Bredent set.

I've never tapped into a stock Ti abutment but it should be ok. I would suggest you tap the abutment and then wax the bridge around the screw instead of tapping both the bridge and screw later.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I think what the OP is probably stating is it has 2 Straumann solid abutments and the case needs to be made as a screw retained case???

The tricky part is if he has a soft tissue model at the abutment level using the solid abutment analogs, it is not necessary to tap the abutment, you just need to have an undercut for the set screw to engage. The tough part is if the dr has nopreppeded that first.

What we have done in the past is to ..

1)Make our abutment analog model.

2)Cast the plastic ENGAGING copings use the supplied bur in the bredent kit to make the prep through the coping and into the abutment analog.

3)Fabricate the bridge casting and tap the screw hole

4)Layer the ceramic

5)Retap the threads

When the dr goes to deliver the bridge he uses the copings to prepare the undercut for the screw in the abutments in the mouth, seats bridge, uses set screws to retain it

Just be smart on the angle you put the set screws in thinking about the angels challenges your client will face.

Good luck

ONE MORE THING

The choice of alloy will make this hard or easy especially if you haven't taped much. PD based semi is very hard and you will break the taps if your not carefull and use cutting oil, obviously a high nobel will be much easier.

Last edited:
rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
...and always remember where the screws are at all times:eek:

Top Bottom