Laser sintered copings ?

H

Hal2a

Reaction score
I'm trying to maximize the ROI on my 3 Shape and am considering sintered copings from Argen. They have a non-precious and a noble cr/co - palladium coping to choose from. Is anyone currently using these frames ?

P

paulg100

Reaction score
Tried both Denstply's Laser sintered frames through cercon/compartis and Sironas through the inlab/infinident, numerous times....

Im sorry to say that the fits on both sucked :(

It needs to be on par with castings really, otherwise its another step backwards, espcially for the per unit cost of these units.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I saw a sample of Bego's sintered coping and was impressed under the 10x scope. Margins were a bit thick but I think they were still in trial mode.

Hal if you try one , take a pic for us to see please ?..Kastle Mills ?

D

dimtsic

Reaction score
Tried both Denstply's Laser sintered frames through cercon/compartis and Sironas through the inlab/infinident, numerous times....

Im sorry to say that the fits on both sucked :(

It needs to be on par with castings really, otherwise its another step backwards, espcially for the per unit cost of these units.

I think that Compartis doesn't use laser sintering.
What they do is print the wax pattern and the perform industrial casting technique. At least that is how it is for Canada I don't know if in the States it's different

H

Hal2a

Reaction score
Does compartis have a site in Canada ?

D

dimtsic

Reaction score
I just checked it out its the same compartis web site whether in Canada or in the US but they do offer the precious metal service in Canada now its new since January

P

paulg100

Reaction score
I can confirm 100% that their base metal service in europe is/was Laser Sintered. Have not tried it for a few years so maybe they changed now but not to my knowledge.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the base/cobalt chrome alloy.The copings were very accurate but the oxide layer was brutal.They were milled not sintered and I had to refinish them with stones to prevent bubbling.

I wonder if the palladium /chrome will solve the oxide problem.

D

dimtsic

Reaction score
I can confirm 100% that their base metal service in europe is/was Laser Sintered. Have not tried it for a few years so maybe they changed now but not to my knowledge.

Compartis in Germany uses laser sintering but the one in the States doesn't there was a webinar on it not to long ago. The final product isn't bad but you have to choose your cases especialy if you are using cercon eye since the software is limited

BDDS

BDDS

Reaction score
We have sent these out to Argen with the our Lava equipment ... and the fit was actually great. The only negative to start was no die hardener after scanning, and after tearing up the dies realized we missed an old step. Seems to be a great product so far.

E

e...w...h

Reaction score
We've been doing 40+ per day now for almost a year. Great stuff!

C

charles007

Reaction score
I called Argen about the thickess.. its .4 minium... No way am I going to spend the time with my scanner and still need to do all that metal finishing.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Cr/Co...sorry, I had a tsunami in the back of my throat. It's junk metal, oxides/rusts in the mouth, leaches into the dentin and tattoo's the tissue. The galvanic reactions it causes, the wear on your ovens and other instruments being used to work with that metal isn't worth it. If you don't want to enter the gold market with noble or high noble crowns, that's perfectly understandable and fine, but offer something like a PFM Titanium (very biocompatible),not that crap base metal.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Rob, are you convinced that Ti is a viable alternative yet? I'm going to need to be convinced. Somewhere recently there was a post from someone that said that they had to be carefull sandblasting the inside of the crown or it would chip the porcelain at the margin. That to me sounds like a poor bond and would keep me up nights. When you have it as idiot proof as porcelain fused to high noble, maybe I'll try it. Anyway I am looking forward to hearing how it works out for you. Rob

Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
Titanium will not work and we had tried it years ago. Yes with milled copings and spark eroded the metal is different than the cast stuff but it is still titanium. I agree with Mark's post and will not venture into Ti again unless there is a big change in the porcelain process to keep oxides to a minimum. Just my opinion....