3Shape Closing shell files

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Perhaps you can aid me in a small issue, I am trying to figure a way to close open shell .STL files in 3Shape Appliance Designer (Or any module really). I know I can go through it and add a base and that will close it but it seems odd to me that it doesn't have a repair, or hole filling option. I was working with Maestro prior to picking up 3Shape last year, and 3 Shape is leaps and bounds ahead of it in a lot of regards, however I still to this day have to transfer models to my maestro computer to hole fill before 3shape will even attempt to add bases.

This usually happens with iTero models that are scanned, I try to add bases like I do from 3Shape scans, 3M scans, or really any other scan and even though they have holes in the models I can add a base. However some files give me an error when adding a base and then I cant even hole fill or use them, so I am stick logging into Team viewer, dropping files in our old computer, hole filling them in Maestro, and then bringing them back in for base creation.

Just wondering if anyone has had these issues or maybe knows of a solution.

Attachments

• Boundary Error.png
    Boundary Error.png
    539.7 KB · Views: 37
2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
3Shape die hards are going to whine, but exocad does this with ease at any point along the design phase.

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
3Shape die hards are going to whine, but exocad does this with ease at any point along the design phase.

Yeah, I just experienced this first hand, we have our Exocad room right beside mine, and they needed me to create a file for them but they gave me an open one, I was stuck asking "Hey would it be even possible to give me a file closed?" their reply "Uh yeah give me like 2 seconds" done... this seems like basic necessity, I do not understand why it isn't as easy

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Probably because the Danes want to sell you another module for editing??

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
Probably because the Danes want to sell you another module for editing??

Right?!?! But even then they don't have a editing module to my knowledge...

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Right?!?! But even then they don't have a editing module to my knowledge...
It's in the works. What do you think they do with all the licensing money they collect, vacation in Spain?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
we have our Exocad room right beside mine
This made me laugh to myself. I picture the exocad crew picking on the 3Shape guys and you needing a way to keep them separate.

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
This made me laugh to myself. I picture the exocad crew picking on the 3Shape guys and you needing a way to keep them separate.

Well I am the only 3Shape guy... I'm outnumbered 4 to 1

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
It's time to sell that rig and convert, you're young enough to keep your sanity.

Hey, in all fairness I get what I need done and it works for most things I want, plus Im not the one paying for licenses so that helps haha. But coming from Maestro this feels like the Holy grail

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Hey, in all fairness I get what I need done and it works for most things I want, plus Im not the one paying for licenses so that helps haha. But coming from Maestro this feels like the Holy grail
What version of Maestro? I am using the Ortho module and it is decent, though it can get unstable at times.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
you can fill holes in the scan when you import any scan to work on, as Intraoral scan. you will always be given the sculpt toolkit before you design anything. this lets you trim the scan data, align to bite, and find occlusal plane.

i dont understand how you managed to skip that step, to be honest.

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
you can fill holes in the scan when you import any scan to work on, as Intraoral scan. you will always be given the sculpt toolkit before you design anything. this lets you trim the scan data, align to bite, and find occlusal plane.

i dont understand how you managed to skip that step, to be honest.

Im using the Ortho module, and it doesnt provide the sculpt toolkit till AFTER you add the base, it seems ass backwards because I know the C&B module has what your saying.

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
What version of Maestro? I am using the Ortho module and it is decent, though it can get unstable at times.

Im using the newest one, we only use it now for our digital study models and achieving and it wasn't terrible by any means, we used it for aligners and it was decent enough but we already have doctors calling us saying how much better they work once we switched software haha. I don't mean to bash Maestro in any way they are a great software at a really good price, but a lot of features I would classify as "Missing", that would aid in the overall usage of the software, that being said there are a few features that it has that 3Shape doesn't and I really miss them.