labnet software

G

gold999

Reaction score
HI Everyone

Does anyone use Henry Schein Labnet software ?
My computer crashed and I'm trying to figure out
how to reinstall the data file ?
Does anyone have any experience with this ?
The company - Labnet wants $130 for directions to
reinstall !

Thanks
Goldguy

doug

doug

Reaction score
I have the software and that's why I pay my service agreement payment. What exactly do you need to do. Do you have the file? Maybe we can solve your problem on here or go private with it, no charge. You really don't expect them to work for you for free, do you?

G

gold999

Reaction score
HI Doug

The software was working great, but my desktop decided that it had enough and was constantly crashing. As it turns out, something on the motherboard decided to retire. I di have someone able to back my hard drive up.
No one at Labnet ever told me that if my computer crashed that I wouldn't to be able to just reinstall the information. I new there was a service agreement last year, but I thought it was more for labs who wanted to have the latest software version running and those labs who were using ddx.
I do have the labnet folder on my desktop, along with the df1 file, which is where I believe that the main date is stored. I always did a backup each day, using backup data file and stored that on a thumb drive.
I haven't fooled around with the labnet folder at all, trying to reinstall the software, which was all done online originally. I only have the bronze version, which was all that I ever thought that I would need for my single person lab.
if you could help me out with the steps to reinstalling the software and the data file, that would be very much appreciated.

Thanks alot
George

G

gold999

Reaction score
HI Doug

The software was working great, but my desktop decided that it had enough and was constantly crashing. As it turns out, something on the motherboard decided to retire. I di have someone able to back my hard drive up.
No one at Labnet ever told me that if my computer crashed that I wouldn't to be able to just reinstall the information. I new there was a service agreement last year, but I thought it was more for labs who wanted to have the latest software version running and those labs who were using ddx.
I do have the labnet folder on my desktop, along with the df1 file, which is where I believe that the main date is stored. I always did a backup each day, using backup data file and stored that on a thumb drive.
I haven't fooled around with the labnet folder at all, trying to reinstall the software, which was all done online originally. I only have the bronze version, which was all that I ever thought that I would need for my single person lab.
if you could help me out with the steps to reinstalling the software and the data file, that would be very much appreciated.

Thanks alot
George

G

gold999

Reaction score
Sorry about that Doug, I didn't realize that I just replied twice !

George

doug

doug

Reaction score
George, Once you get the software re-loaded open the program and when it asks for a data file, point it to the DF1 file you have. That should get you going. If that works, move the DF1 file to a spot in the Labnet folder. let me know what happens. Doug

G

gold999

Reaction score
HI Doug

I'll give that a try later on
I will let you know

George

model guy

model guy

Donator
Reaction score
Did you get labnet squared away? I just saw your post and wanted to check. Ive been using it for some time now...

J

Jane

Reaction score
LabNet Fix???

Hi
Did you get some help with LabNet after the crash?
Yes, the .df1 file will contain all of your data. However, there might be a number of .df1 files in various locations on various drives, and you will want to make sure you get the right one.
If you ever used LabNet's internal backup system it would have created a file with a .LN1 extension. (this was done so it would not be possible to directly open the backup by mistake. )
You would be surprised at how many copies of their datafiles people will create and in how many locations they will will end up being stored. If you don't find what you are looking for straight away, don't despair, and and don't erase your old drive too quickly...
If you had to replace your computer or its hard drive then LabNet itself will have to be re-installed. BTW that is do-able with or without the original installer, but easier with.
I don't mind offering you any help I can, and I suppose I should tell you I wrote LabNet. I started it in 1985, sold it 15 years later to HSI and left the company two years ago to focus on cloud-based software.
Pat Goodfellow

doug

doug

Reaction score
Hi Pat, I have a question for you. How can I get the export files to import directly into QB without having to save in a location and then import. That and closing all of my stations to do a backup are my most annoying issues.
Doug

J

Jane

Reaction score
data import

Doug
Thanks for the questions. I am pleased to answer as best I can.

LabNet uses its own type of database, which can be great, but in a couple of areas is getting kind of dated.

LabNet can share data externally through an ODBC connection, but that kind of connection is less than ideal for anything mission critical.
It is much safer for LabNet to dump the data and have you import it.

All systems shutting down before a backup can be performed.
Now, that is a tough one! This is a basic structure thing...

There are auto-backup programs and software services you can subscribe to but all of them will still require ALL copies of LabNet be shut down. Some of those services will tell you they are backing up successfully even when they are not! Faithfully backing up nothing can be an awkward discovery...

LabNet's datafile is not SQL, and it is not server based. LabNet uses peer to peer sharing. It is simple to set up, and as long as it is used under correct conditions will simply work, and work. Where it is less than ideal is when hardware anywhere on the network starts to fail, or when wireless networks are required.
You could set up Terminal Server; it will turn computers into dumb terminals and require serious server hardware to run effectively but it will 'somewhat' remove the danger of not backing up.

I wish I had a better answer for you.

I think cloud computing is the future. No backups, no installs, no updates, access anywhere, from anything.

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
Hi Pat,

I too am a Labnet user and have been for several yrs. I think I 've probably spoken with you a few times over the yrs. in dealing with Labnet. You mentioned "cloud computing" as the future. Tell me if I'm correct on this. Does this mean that a lab could access design software for crowns from the "clouds" for a per use fee rather than purchase a complete hard wired software package? If this were a viable option, don't you think this would drive down the cost of the vendor installed software or possibly eliminate it?

Aslo, if you had to choose a company from the cloud universe which would be tomorrow's leader in this field, who would you recommend?

Thanks, Brad

J

Jane

Reaction score
cloud based

Hi Brad
Thanks for the questions. I really appreciate the opportunity to offer what I can to the board.

Q: Does this mean that a lab could access design software for crowns from the "clouds" for a per use fee...?

A: Yes! Absolutely!
It is my belief that in the not too distant future virtually all computing will be in the cloud. I can't make a recommendation for design software as I'm a lab management guy. I will say that connections between cloud based programs (such as design and management) will become more transparent.

Q: ... would drive down the cost of the vendor installed software or possibly eliminate it?

A: Maybe...
The reason vendors want to go to the cloud is mostly because the user experience can be soooo much better. No installation, no updates, no backup, and much easier support. Vendors have to make a living but it is easier to support cloud based customers. Cloud computing will replace installed software no question.

Q: ... a company from the cloud universe which would be tomorrow's leader in this field, who would you recommend?

A: Check out Evident lab management software (evidentlabs.com). I approve :) (I am a shareholder in 'Evident').

Pat

L

lizzy

Reaction score
Hi
Did you get some help with LabNet after the crash?
Yes, the .df1 file will contain all of your data. However, there might be a number of .df1 files in various locations on various drives, and you will want to make sure you get the right one.
If you ever used LabNet's internal backup system it would have created a file with a .LN1 extension. (this was done so it would not be possible to directly open the backup by mistake. )
You would be surprised at how many copies of their datafiles people will create and in how many locations they will will end up being stored. If you don't find what you are looking for straight away, don't despair, and and don't erase your old drive too quickly...
If you had to replace your computer or its hard drive then LabNet itself will have to be re-installed. BTW that is do-able with or without the original installer, but easier with.
I don't mind offering you any help I can, and I suppose I should tell you I wrote LabNet. I started it in 1985, sold it 15 years later to HSI and left the company two years ago to focus on cloud-based software.
Pat Goodfellow
Hi Pat I had my computer crash and had to get a new one. I have Labnet installed on the new computer but cannot get the data in.
How do I do this?
When I called Labnet they want to charge me $130.00 to see if they can help me but theres no guarantee that they can help me. I'm a one woman lab and I don't mind paying but if they can't help me I'm really messed up. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stevo

stevo

Reaction score
Hi I have been using and Internet based dental software company for several years. All file are stored off site (similar to Internet banking) and all files can be accessed from any were as long as you can connect to the Internet you enter you login details and all your files are there for you to see. It is backed up twice a day. You pay a monthly fee and all up grades are free.

It has a lab component and a clinical component for denturist( clinical technician)https://basediary.com.au

J

Jane

Reaction score
Cloud-based software

Hi there. We now sell Evident (Dental Lab Software: Evident) in Australia and are working with a consultant there who was recommending BaseDiary previously. I gave here a demo of Evident which she felt had many more lab-specific features. If you would like to speak with her about the differences, please let me know and I will put you in touch.

Hi I have been using and Internet based dental software company for several years. All file are stored off site (similar to Internet banking) and all files can be accessed from any were as long as you can connect to the Internet you enter you login details and all your files are there for you to see. It is backed up twice a day. You pay a monthly fee and all up grades are free.

It has a lab component and a clinical component for denturist( clinical technician)https://basediary.com.au