Itero model w/analog

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
Thought some might be interested in seeing what these looked like.

Light cured Primotec gel on abutment.

2000markpeters

2000markpeters

Reaction score
We have done hundreds of these, and our chief complaint is the inaccuracy of the tissue area around the implant. Every model is milled the same, and when you receive a custom abutment you have to ream the area around the analog off every time. They just cannot seem to mill what is shown on the scan. Also you cannot use the system if your dentist wants to use a modified tissue impression coping. Bummer....

doug

doug

Reaction score
Well, the doc needs to know the limits of his/her system. You don't know how many times I've had to remind them of things that can't be done with their digital impression

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Thanks PDC
How do you like the primotec gel? I used it a few times but wasn't super impressed, though I constantly hear folks say they love it

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Well, the doc needs to know the limits of his/her system. You don't know how many times I've had to remind them of things that can't be done with their digital impression

such as?

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
Thanks PDC
How do you like the primotec gel? I used it a few times but wasn't super impressed, though I constantly hear folks say they love it

I really like it. I use it for a variety of things. It works better for me on the metal abutments than trying to wax them. You have to put a couple of coats of rubber sep on the abutment before using the gel. The fits come out great. I also use it for covering the access hole to the screw on abutments. Sometimes I use it for connectors on bridge waxups. I also use for duplicating clasps of partials in blue mousse bites when the patient want give up their partial. Lots of uses. :)

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
We have done hundreds of these, and our chief complaint is the inaccuracy of the tissue area around the implant. Every model is milled the same, and when you receive a custom abutment you have to ream the area around the analog off every time. They just cannot seem to mill what is shown on the scan. Also you cannot use the system if your dentist wants to use a modified tissue impression coping. Bummer....

Yeah, that is a slight problem...but what doesn't have issues in this business whether it be digital or physical impressions?

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
well i think 2000markpeters' point is the whole thing is half assed. We'e done plenty as well, and it's annoying when your doctor is calling back furious that the tissue contour was not done correctly.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Please forgive my newbness but it appears that the analog is placed in the itero model similar to Encode.

It looks like a standard hole instead of the proper tissue contour.

Is this the same with Trios models? Do Core 3D models suffer from the same dilema as Mark Peters described?

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
??? Shouldn't the tissue contour be addressed clinically? ie: when the "modified" cover screws, healing caps are temporarily placed? Once removed the tissue area is then scanned? Or tissue. Is lab modified and scanned before abutment is designed. Am I missing something here?

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I really like it. I use it for a variety of things. It works better for me on the metal abutments than trying to wax them. You have to put a couple of coats of rubber sep on the abutment before using the gel. The fits come out great. I also use it for covering the access hole to the screw on abutments. Sometimes I use it for connectors on bridge waxups. I also use for duplicating clasps of partials in blue mousse bites when the patient want give up their partial. Lots of uses. :)
interesting, might have to give it a whirl again

2000markpeters

2000markpeters

Reaction score
the point is, even if the doctor has taken the time to properly contour the tissue using a temporary to get the proper emergence profile from the tissue, there is no way to capture this data and have it milled using the itero system. same problem with models from core3d. the technology jet is not there yet.

2000markpeters

2000markpeters

Reaction score
the models are very accurate otherwise.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
the point is, even if the doctor has taken the time to properly contour the tissue using a temporary to get the proper emergence profile from the tissue, there is no way to capture this data and have it milled using the itero system. same problem with models from core3d. the technology jet is not there yet.

I would think that will eventually be solved with a software upgrade would it not?

So do we wait for the solution or do we solve it here on DLN ?

Why not incorporate a pre scan of the custom temp/healing cap into our abutment designer software?

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
@2000markpeters ... if the model is accurate then the scan is accurate...right? So if the capture of the tissues (hard and soft) is accurate then the model should be a duplicate of the oral environment. So can the doc use a modified healing cap to contour the tissue then remove for scan to capture the site for emergence profile of abutment, also can this be done as a double scan and stitched together to create the model?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
@2000markpeters ... if the model is accurate then the scan is accurate...right? So if the capture of the tissues (hard and soft) is accurate then the model should be a duplicate of the oral environment. So can the doc use a modified healing cap to contour the tissue then remove for scan to capture the site for emergence profile of abutment, also can this be done as a double scan and stitched together to create the model?

I wish I had thought of that? :rolleyes:

2000markpeters

2000markpeters

Reaction score
Not possible, have tried, they do not have the function. One scan will override the last one. Also they just cannot seem to mill the area around the implant socket as a true representation. Not sure what their issue is.

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
It would seem that Itero could at least offer the option of a specific amount to have milled out around the abutment such as .5-2.0 mm. The abutment space could be tapered upward from the top of the implant increasing upward to the surface. The doctor could choose these measurements chairside based on what he saw. If the scan can't capture it, then this would at least get us in the ballpark.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Not possible, have tried, they do not have the function. One scan will override the last one. Also they just cannot seem to mill the area around the implant socket as a true representation. Not sure what their issue is.

ODDBALLSAYSsilkscreen.jpg

Top Bottom