Is ExoCAD licensed to a specific individual or just a specific computer?

D

ddsTech

Reaction score
When a scanner/ExoCAD system is purchased, is the copy of ExoCAD licensed to a specific individual, or is it just licensed to a specific computer ID? Also, can a copy of ExoCAD that's customized to work with a particular scanner be used with a different scanner in the future in case the first one dies?

Thanks

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
both are incorrect.

You get a physical dongle that can work in any computer, in any lab, at any time.

Software can be loaded on 100 computers of you want.

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
When a scanner/ExoCAD system is purchased, is the copy of ExoCAD licensed to a specific individual, or is it just licensed to a specific computer ID? Also, can a copy of ExoCAD that's customized to work with a particular scanner be used with a different scanner in the future in case the first one dies?

Thanks

I don't think it is either, the dongle contains the license so you can install the software on as many computers as you want but can only use a dongle on one at a time. I don't think exo is linked as such to the scanner I think it is more a case of the scanner being linked to the computer, my scanner is paired to my computer and I have installed exo on my comp and it talks to the program that operates the scanner and takes the .stl files from said program.

I am sure that makes no sense at all but....... All the best Pete

D

ddsTech

Reaction score
Thanks very much, Primus and K2. Your responses were helpful.

I have another question in regards to ExoCAD's implant module. Is each company's (i.e. Origin, Medit, etc.) version of ExoCAD's implant module tied specifically to that company's scan body set, or can any manufacturers' scan body set be used?

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
Wanna buy exocad, or you already own?

Medit Scanner is also Not tied to the computer and has no dongle.....can be used on any computer.

Software loaded 100x if you want on diffrent computers?

Same with the Steinbichler, but that does have a dongle.

We have many choices in implant scanbodys.

I use/sell titanium scan bodys from DDG Z-Tech (Spain)

biodentg

biodentg

Reaction score
Hi Scott ( PRIME TEAM ),I need badly an extra design station (EXOCAD) , I already have the MEDIT and one dongle for EXOCAD. How would you best address this situation?
Thanks

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
Another Dongle/License? LOL

PM me for price.

Can be sent out today.

D

ddsTech

Reaction score
Wanna buy exocad, or you already own?

Medit Scanner is also Not tied to the computer and has no dongle.....can be used on any computer.

Software loaded 100x if you want on diffrent computers?

Same with the Steinbichler, but that does have a dongle.

We have many choices in implant scanbodys.

I use/sell titanium scan bodys from DDG Z-Tech (Spain)

I own a copy of ExoCAD with the virtual articulator and implant module, but am looking into buying a different open scanner. My questions are to try to figure out if my copy of ExoCAD will work with another scanner and how difficult that integration might be. Currently, the scanner automatically imports the fused scans from the scanner. Will it have that same capability with a different scanner?

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
There are many scanners that work with exocad.

What scanner do you have, and what do you think you want?

Smart Optiks works, many Italian scanners, Steinbichler, Medit of course, and others....

Scott

Vazone

Vazone

Reaction score
many Italian scanners,
Scott

i know that also possible to install it on DScan from EGS, dont you try it? or maybe you have some demo or trial for test it on scanner?

Jean-Michel BERTIN

Jean-Michel BERTIN

Reaction score
I own a copy of ExoCAD with the virtual articulator and implant module, but am looking into buying a different open scanner. My questions are to try to figure out if my copy of ExoCAD will work with another scanner and how difficult that integration might be. Currently, the scanner automatically imports the fused scans from the scanner. Will it have that same capability with a different scanner?

When you do a scan, it save the file into a folder. If you open exocad without integration, you will have a windows that tell you witch files do you want to import. Also you can do the import "without problem" but you could have some problem of placement, reference.

The work of the integration between exocad and different scanner, is just to create a file from the scanner with the name of the project of exocad + a small word. If you have scan a model you will have the name of the file like 2013-02-06-dentist-patient-001.stl
The integration will give you the information of upper or lower jaw, gingiva, ... but you can do it yourself without integration also if you change yourself the name of the stl files like for :
- upper jaw : 2013-02-06-dentist-patient-001-upperjaw.stl
- lower jaw : 2013-02-06-dentist-patient-001-lowerjaw.stl
- gingiva : 2013-02-06-dentist-patient-001-upperjaw-gingiva.stl
- situscan : 2013-02-06-dentist-patient-001-upperjaw-situ.stl

Also if you have no problem to manipulate the files into your Windows OS, you can do it yourself without paid the integration. Because some distributor need a paiement to do that like imetric for exemple but a lot do it for free.
With this solution, we have just done an integration between 3shape scanner and exocad ;-)

Jean-Michel BERTIN

Jean-Michel BERTIN

Reaction score
...and for scan body is : .......marker.stl

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
What our Normandy friend says is true, we have been doing this with our KaVo Scan Eco scanner for just short of a year now because it is not possible to make the Eco talk to Exo:(. Works great and takes seconds to do.

D

ddsTech

Reaction score
When you do a scan, it save the file into a folder. If you open exocad without integration, you will have a windows that tell you witch files do you want to import. Also you can do the import "without problem" but you could have some problem of placement, reference.

The work of the integration between exocad and different scanner, is just to create a file from the scanner with the name of the project of exocad + a small word. If you have scan a model you will have the name of the file like 2013-02-06-dentist-patient-001.stl
The integration will give you the information of upper or lower jaw, gingiva, ... but you can do it yourself without integration also if you change yourself the name of the stl files like for :
- upper jaw : 2013-02-06-dentist-patient-001-upperjaw.stl
- lower jaw : 2013-02-06-dentist-patient-001-lowerjaw.stl
- gingiva : 2013-02-06-dentist-patient-001-upperjaw-gingiva.stl
- situscan : 2013-02-06-dentist-patient-001-upperjaw-situ.stl

Also if you have no problem to manipulate the files into your Windows OS, you can do it yourself without paid the integration. Because some distributor need a paiement to do that like imetric for exemple but a lot do it for free.
With this solution, we have just done an integration between 3shape scanner and exocad ;-)

Great information Jean-Michel! That's exactly what I needed to know. Thanks very much.

Jean-Michel BERTIN

Jean-Michel BERTIN

Reaction score
I've forgotten for the waxup you need to rename it like :

2013-02-06-dentist-patient-001-waxup.stl