Im trying a test

user name

user name

Reaction score
Ive had some trouble setting the magic temp in my Migm sinter oven, but I think Im close. Things just look better coming out of my Dekema, so...

I did my best at creating 2 identical pieces of scrap Zr (Sagemax NexxZr+) and Ill fire them in the two ovens tonight. They seem to balance well, so Im hoping that with the curved overhang slumping Ill get a better visual of the actual temp comparison. Ill post a shot after firing tomorrow. How much bend do you think they will show?

Dekema cooks at 1540 and to get similar results Ive dialed the Mihm down to 1515, both with the same rates of climb and hold times.

2016-11-27 00.11.06.jpg

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
interesting. looking forward to seeing your results, thanks!

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
i doubt very much youll see any difference at all.

prove me wrong.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
I think it will not sag...interesting test nonetheless :) Keep us updated user...

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
I don't think you'll be able to see any difference at all. You've got the furnaces firing similarly, if not the same.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Im surprised at everyone thinking they wont slump. I just started the one in the mihm, so before I light up the Dekema Ill lay the piece on its side and trace the profile so we're not just comparing the two to each other, we can have a visual of the original before sintering...even though it will be smaller I think I can shoot a pic of the sintered units using the profile as a background and get a perspective. Im guessing somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 slump :eek:

That's quite a bit of cantilever.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
lol a trace of the original is only going to give you a 'before' picture, for comparing white zirc to white zirc. useless for comparing form of post-sinter.

brain fart lol

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
if you had machined a cube you could at least do measurements.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
im less concerned about the slump and if its visible and more interested in the overall outcome between the two furnaces.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
If ones hotter, Itll slump more, no?
im guessing that has more to do with thickness, shrinkage of one puck vs the other (are they the same shrinkage factor?),etc.
I mean, its unsupported out there, so will there be slump....probably. will it be noticeable....not sure, but I don't think so. we aren't talking a giant difference in temp.

Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
'User'............."Could you please hurry up with those teeth ,the patient is getting upset waiting !"
geelgroene_meerkat.jpg

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
If ones hotter, Itll slump more, no?
heat does not dictate warpage. warpage has everything to do with how the unit is supported as it heats. sinter them standing up like this and sure they will warp. laying down they wont at all.

so how did you orient them?

user name

user name

Reaction score
Well, my photo kinda sucks, but what I have is a box in the back ground with the original shape profile traced. In front of that is the Dekema sample and closest to us is the Mihm sample.

Yes... the pic sucks. But what Im seeing is less slump than I thought thered be, but the Dekema slumped a bit more. Im going to order some clay cones actually made for this purpose and retry.

2016-11-27 17.55.45.jpg

2016-11-27 18.08.05.jpg

I tried to line these up better. Dekema sample in the back. Just a bit more slump, but due to my mfg defects, there may be an inconsistency in the thickness that's giving a false reading.

Call me an idiot all you want CHL...Im trying.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
i never did. i admire the quest. been there a few times myself.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Save your money user....just cut a few of these ;)
View attachment 24111
That's cool, but the Zr didn't give me as much droop as I was hoping to see, so it might not be the best material for doing comparisons. I just got a response from the clay cone people; they suggest using a pyrometer, as have others here in a different thread. Im shopping for one right now.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
th