i am trying to speed up my buildup porcelain

Edy

Edy

Reaction score
Thinking on how i can speed up a bit the porcelain buildup because lately having a bit problem with doctors calling me and getting a bit angry at me because i give them the works 2-3 days late , today i am building with the method AL used to show us on restoration de jur , but i am using the nr.6 brush of smile line , maybe if i switch to the spatula i will get faster on building the crowns ?? anyway i think i will try it , it will take me some time to get used to it i suppose , anyone knows what kind of spatula is that ? how it looks like ? if u got a link with a photo will be cool , thank you ..

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
2-3 days late? I dont think the buildup is your problem..

Edy

Edy

Reaction score
well , its not only build up , but i am trying to improve build up , i am working alone and got to do dentures , metal , casting , and build porcelain too , all these are slowing me down alooot , but what i see that on porcelain i spend most of my time .... thats why i am trying to speed it a bit of course not to the level which will affect the quality

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
why not just ask for longer turnaround time? building hand-layered ceramics is not something you can really rush.. to become really efficient takes.. well, decades...

Try not to overbuild. What porcelain do you use? The key to what all does, is not overbuilding and grinding. Build slightly under contour and add the small bits you need, I do this in the glaze generally.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
personally id get rid of the denture work (or outsource it) and concentrate on crown and bridge.

Theres enough process just to do c&b on your own let alone prosthetics as well. Its no wonder your day is so inefficient, your trying to take on to much if you ask me.

look at ways to speed up the dogs body/simpler stuff. The ceramics IS where most of your time should be going.
its what people see at the end of it so its one of the biggest factors in defining your work.

Obviously fit is important to but your frames can be sped up alot with cad/cam.

Last edited:
Edy

Edy

Reaction score
why not just ask for longer turnaround time? building hand-layered ceramics is not something you can really rush.. to become really efficient takes.. well, decades...

Try not to overbuild. What porcelain do you use? The key to what all does, is not overbuilding and grinding. Build slightly under contour and add the small bits you need, I do this in the glaze generally.

i am sure it takes lot of time to start to become efficient , but anyway wanted to try to switch to spatula build to see if this can help a bit , i use inline ips , and for the rare shades i use noritake, its very nice porcelain i am happy with results and shade and i use it for rare shades because they sell 10g while inline only 20g ,wondering lately if to buy the ips classic inline to see how it is , heared from a friend that its nicer then ips inline , i will get some to try it .
Anyhow u do know what kind of spatula it can be used for the build porcelain which it can replace the brushes ?

D

DentureRepair

Reaction score
Definitely it looks nice, and it takes a more time to be good.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
If I recall, the spatula that Al uses is like this, but the blade end starts out way longer. I've had this one for 30 years. I think they are from Tanaka and I believe you can still get them.

ai659.photobucket.com_albums_uu315_CatamountRob_photo_33.jpg

ai659.photobucket.com_albums_uu315_CatamountRob_photo_34.jpg
ai659.photobucket.com_albums_uu315_CatamountRob_photo_33.jpg ai659.photobucket.com_albums_uu315_CatamountRob_photo_34.jpg

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
This one is decent. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344601357.259943.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344601357.259943.jpg

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Honestly though, I use my smile line #6 99.9% of the time.

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
This is one of the reasons we are starting to press so much. Trying to take some stress off of our porcelain room. We press 75 percent of an anterior and then add the characteristics needed in porcelain and we have great results and speeds the process up! Some might not agree with this but it works for us and we maintain our quality!

Edy

Edy

Reaction score
If I recall, the spatula that Al uses is like this, but the blade end starts out way longer. I've had this one for 30 years. I think they are from Tanaka and I believe you can still get them.

ai659.photobucket.com_albums_uu315_CatamountRob_photo_33.jpg

ai659.photobucket.com_albums_uu315_CatamountRob_photo_34.jpg

pitty that the pic u put its not so clear , but i now have a bit of idea on what to look for , only i never saw how its done with it hehe , any videos u know of that show someone using it ? because if i start to experiment with it alone , it may take a while until i get the hand of it (o_-)
ai659.photobucket.com_albums_uu315_CatamountRob_photo_33.jpg ai659.photobucket.com_albums_uu315_CatamountRob_photo_34.jpg

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
How will this save you time?

I recommend you heed the advice of others here.They speak from experience.

Accuracy is the best time saver.

Wyolab

Wyolab

Reaction score
I am a one man lab as well. Changing my model work and using the Artimax or W.O.W. articulators save alot of time. As far is the build ups go I try and focus on two bakes and then glaze, minimizing the amount of time I grind. It is not how fast I stack, but how few changes I need to make that really affect my time. Working in batches and staying focused are important. That reminds me I need to get off the computer and back to the bench.

ts4341

ts4341

Reaction score
Using a Spatula seems like going backwards.. Either hire someone, outsource or ask for more time on C & B.. 10 - 14 days is the norm. I guess, at least around here.

Edy

Edy

Reaction score
I am a one man lab as well. Changing my model work and using the Artimax or W.O.W. articulators save alot of time. As far is the build ups go I try and focus on two bakes and then glaze, minimizing the amount of time I grind. It is not how fast I stack, but how few changes I need to make that really affect my time. Working in batches and staying focused are important. That reminds me I need to get off the computer and back to the bench.
hehe , u sure count ur time , i am not like that , but trying to be more fucused as well , almost everything u wrote i do too , 2 bakes and glaze , not so much grind , but still i think that trying to see how it will work with spatula not a bad idea, i am sure i will go back for the brush , but still , havent tried it yet , will not really boost my speed i understand from you , but worth trying i think

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score

I agree, changing horses in the middle of the stream will only make you have to slow down and relearn.. and from the sounds of it if you are already 2-3 days late with cases, your behind the 8 ball.
Honestly I can remember being 'late', missing a scheduled pt. appt. less than 3-4 times in my career.. I would be concerned with keeping clients, not build up technique. Competition is FIERCE these days.

Edy

Edy

Reaction score
from what i see , u think that with spatula i wont get accuracy and quality ? how others do get good results with it then ? , i would never give up on the quality with or without spatula ... speeding the stacking of porcelain means giving up on quality ?? i cant see how that's true ,why u think if u build slowly with the brush it gives a better results ? ( of course on the finishing of any case and front teeth i will be forced to bring up the brush)

Edy

Edy

Reaction score

sure i heed the advice of all here , thats why i am here

Top Bottom