How's the Translucent Zirc holding up?

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
Okay, so Straumann is now offering the Katana ML and UTML. I have been reluctant to use the translucent stuff due to stories concerning cracking and chipping. From the photos I've seen on DLN, a lot of this stuff looks nice but the UTML only has a flexural strength of 550 MPa. Has anyone quit using this stuff as a result of cracking issues?

I know Dr. Gordon Christenson doesn't recommend it for the same reason. Maybe this was the result of the learning curves involved with a new material, but by now the techniques should be down pat.

Your experiences? Dontknow

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
been using Cubex

its great. initially had cracking but have ironed out those procedural errors quickly. correct burs and timing is key. at least around here. as ive written in other threads, each lab is a special snowflake that humms and hawws over what to do to get a "better" result from changing burs, to changing dry times, to changing furnace programming, even post sinter handling with nonmetal hemos... so for this lab's procedure, it works and we like it and all is well.

rc75

rc75

Sponsors
Reaction score
Our EXTREME anterior is rated at 650 MPa and we have had ZERO issues. :Top:

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
How does this stuff polish up? Like Emax or does it get that pearly look when polished?

G

GarryB

Reaction score
How does this stuff polish up? Like Emax or does it get that pearly look when polished?

Been using Argen Z Aesthetic anterior and not heard anything negative form our dentists.

You need to stain and glaze to get the best aesthetic results as yes, when polished they do take on that pearly look.......or at least mine do.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Ive been playing with a few, but I like strength so I think Imagine gets the edge.

As to the pearly look, that can be altered with adjustments to your sinter hold time. Brent could explain...

Brent?

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Patients make great guinea pigs!

Toothman19

Toothman19

Reaction score
Okay, so Straumann is now offering the Katana ML and UTML. I have been reluctant to use the translucent stuff due to stories concerning cracking and chipping. From the photos I've seen on DLN, a lot of this stuff looks nice but the UTML only has a flexural strength of 550 MPa. Has anyone quit using this stuff as a result of cracking issues?

I know Dr. Gordon Christenson doesn't recommend it for the same reason. Maybe this was the result of the learning curves involved with a new material, but by now the techniques should be down pat.

Your experiences? Dontknow

We've been using it for a few months now. Haven't had any issues with cracking or fracturing and we've put around 300 units in the mouth. The UTML is very translucent and is recommended you get a stump shade especially for anything in the anterior. We mill out the UTML and STML and if you'd like to give it a try, I'd be more than happy to mill out a couple for you

Brent Harvey

Brent Harvey

Reaction score
Ive been playing with a few, but I like strength so I think Imagine gets the edge.

As to the pearly look, that can be altered with adjustments to your sinter hold time. Brent could explain...

Brent?
Yes you can control the pearl look you get with the hold time. The longer you hold the more pearl look you will see, and i cant speak for all zirconias but a lot of them are like this.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Zero issues also,
Started using CubeX, then changed to Imagine when both were first released to the market last year.
Tried other brands of Anterior zirs with no problems.
My one complaint, shades not as good. Same could be said with all the other high strength zirs, but really depends on coloring experience/expertise.

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
Imagine with no issues. Have to say - its probably too early to tell. Its the lack of transformational toughening that might come back to bite us...

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
just got a sample of Imagine and XT in to play with. will mill some later today. looking forward to it as previous (outsourced) results were pretty good.

Top Bottom