How many of us are there?

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
I have noticed the closing of most of the Dental Lab schools, & possibly its just me but it seems the younger generation doesn't seem to want to work. This profession is stressful work, actually making stuff every day. I listened to a CD of my dad talking about the constitution his peers had about feeling good about doing a fine days work. Does anyone have a handle on how many Dental technicians there are now, and a breakdown to. :confused: I suppose since crown & bridge/ porcelain techs have had the biggest pay check and less physical tasks than Denture or partial or frame techs there are more of them. When I started there were a lot of denture labs in my county, I've gone to a lot of funerals, and the labs close but I have seen very few new labs open, or when they do they close soon.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
What do you expect?

Over Half of our work is sent out of the country!

I see a BIG drop in the workforce, and more to come.

Show me the "NOW HIRING" signs and ads. There aren't many!

So........Why jump on a sinking ship?

The Dental Lab school in my city has been hurting for a while.

Sure to close and loose accreditation. Most lab owners are well ovger 60yrs, or very close to it.

I am one of a small group just waiting for the chance to fill the gap.

Here it comes!! Not yet, but soon. (I think?)

Last edited:
droberts

droberts

Reaction score
Kirkwood Community College here in Cedar Rapids I believe has about 20 students in there right now. Anywhere from 15 to 20 is normal. Now how many are finding jobs?
I dont know.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Cedar Rapids!?!?!? I hired a girl from there who was supposed to be their top student a couple years ago......that poor girl didnt know as much as a 2 month on-the-job trainee. I told her Im in disbelief and she should request her money back.

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
The market decides what it needs. Any need in the market that can be met profitably will be met. Filling that usually takes a different turn than how the market is currently serviced. Its either adapt to that change or be forced out. There is no choice.

My career started as a lab school student and an AS in dental technology. That was the foundation of my career not the building I filled with my career.

Last edited:
K

kytoothdude

Reaction score
when i applied to lab school in early eighties in lexington,ky there were over 100 apply for 24 positions every year.now they consider getting a full class very good.same thing with cdt. then you had to apprentice 2 years after graduation before you could take the test.now you take the written part before graduation and the practical part whenever your ready.oh well.

Jo Chen

Jo Chen

Reaction score
The labor status of dental laboratory technicians has been downgraded from skilled to unskilled labor by the US Bureau of Labor Statistics. September 29, 2010.
As reported in IDT

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
The labor status of dental laboratory technicians has been downgraded from skilled to unskilled labor by the US Bureau of Labor Statistics. September 29, 2010.
As reported in IDT

There is no national standard for who can be a dental technician or call themselves a dental technician. Unskilled or skilled how could anyone know?

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
Just came upon this. we are Production Occupations in Occupational Employment Statistics Occupational Employment and Wages, May 2010, as the economy has sucked I would note I think wages have gone down a bit.
encoded as 51-9081 Dental Laboratory Technicians.
Employment 38,360
Mean hourly wage $18.26 Mean annual wage $37,980

There is some neat pictures maps and other data here:

Dental Laboratory Technicians) Construct and repair full or partial dentures or dental appliances. Excludes "Dental Assistants"

for Chicago metro it said there are 980 of us making about $18.44 hour or $38,350 which is down 12.2% from 2009

Last edited:
P

paulg100

Reaction score
"The labor status of dental laboratory technicians has been downgraded from skilled to unskilled labor by the US Bureau of Labor Statistics. September 29, 2010."

Techs are now classed as professionals in the UK, yet unskilled in the US and doing the same job.

So how does that work?

DentureDude

DentureDude

trained monkey
Reaction score
does this mean the NADL will need to create a new acronym?

UCDT

:rolleyes:

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
"The labor status of dental laboratory technicians has been downgraded from skilled to unskilled labor by the US Bureau of Labor Statistics. September 29, 2010."

Techs are now classed as professionals in the UK, yet unskilled in the US and doing the same job.

So how does that work?

You guys HAVE to go to school to do this, right?

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
I went to a school in utah. I left there with a very small base knowledge of making teeth and a huge school loan bill! It opened the door to a job though. But this school made no mention of pressed ceramics, cad/cam, or really making a tooth to fit the mouth but to make a generic tooth that filled a space. This was just 4.5 yrs ago. Another thought about the new comers to the field, do they all seem to be the "misfits" of society?

user name

user name

Reaction score
I dont know where thats coming from RileyS, but I resemble that remark. (misfit)

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
does this mean the NADL will need to create a new acronym?

UCDT

:rolleyes:

The NADL is a lab organization not technicians.

Labs hire technicians they don't even have to be owned or run by a technician.

I know most lab owners pay for abilities not titles.

This may effect the amount of money the broke US government will spend for funding of things like lab schools and other fanciful stuff that seemed to have proved to not be all that necessary over the years.

Tom Moore MIC,KEY,OU,CDT

Oh and I slept in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I went to a school in utah. I left there with a very small base knowledge of making teeth and a huge school loan bill! It opened the door to a job though. But this school made no mention of pressed ceramics, cad/cam, or really making a tooth to fit the mouth but to make a generic tooth that filled a space. This was just 4.5 yrs ago. Another thought about the new comers to the field, do they all seem to be the "misfits" of society?

Funny you say that. In my area if a 50 man lab wants to scale down to 10 just do a lab wide drug test lol. I am down to three people now. Every freaking tech that comes in the door would fail a drug test. I managed a big lab years ago and a tech brought me a magazine to show me called high times.. He was going nutts over this plant lol. We let him go for various reasons. I'm wondering I'd our profession attracts addicts, or creates them;)

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
Funny you say that. In my area if a 50 man lab wants to scale down to 10 just do a lab wide drug test lol. I am down to three people now. Every freaking tech that comes in the door would fail a drug test. I managed a big lab years ago and a tech brought me a magazine to show me called high times.. He was going nutts over this plant lol. We let him go for various reasons. I'm wondering I'd our profession attracts addicts, or creates them;)

Our lab in China is growing and producing better and better products as the work force matures and hits thier stride. Our employs do not look like they belong in a halfway house. They value thier jobs because there are people lined up at the door asking to be trained and hired.

Here labs seem to mine the bottom of the labor pool for employes and we skim the top of ours.

I used to shake my hump and growl when anyone took a swip at my busniss model but now not so much.

marvel

marvel

Reaction score
DLT~"A ROSE by Any Other Name...."

So how does that work?

I THOUGHT this must be written in error but no, here is the IDT web link.
Status Change - Dental industry fights the government's recent downgrade of labor status for dental technicians | Inside Dental Technology | dentalaegis.com

YOU KNOW, SO FAR EVERY TIME I click on a NADL link it brings me to an ADA.org web page.

If the powerful, moneyed ADA lobby has anything to do with this downgrade, and so far I'd say they do at least by default, then US Dentists are cutting their own throats.

Why?

Well would you rather have your teeth done by an unskilled laborer DLT in the US, or by a professional DLT abroad, exotic vacation included for the same money or less ??

No wonder more and more big US restorative cases that can be done in a few weeks or sittings are going to Drs in other countries.

True Story

LIKE I TOLD MY DOC, any competent, caring, careful US dentist should be able to do great crown, bridge, and veneer preps; all get the same training.

What sealed the deal for me with my Dr is his DLT knowledge. It is far more extensive than that of most Drs I've interviewed, even though he will have a dental lab make my crowns.

DLT Training in US Service Prosthodontics Program

DR BECAME A PROS in the US Service nearly 40 years ago. Program application reqs were a dental degree and having practiced dentistry for a minimum of 5 years.

If Drs were accepted into the 2-year postdoc prosthodontics program, besides more academic classes including in DLT, they had to broaden and refine their hands-on knowledge of all relevant aspects of the technology. Not only that, they had to be their own lab tech for the entire 2 years, p/ts having usual rights of refusal.

Orofacial 3rd-Year Postdoc

MY PROS TOOK AN OPTIONAL, postdoctoral 3rd year in orofacial prosthetics, he and his mates by then practicing Drs for at least 7 years by 1st semester start.

A huge part of this 3rd-year postdoc training was hands-on orofacial laboratory technology, learning to personally custom create prostheses for accident victims, cancer cases and war wounded. Drs had to apply all their knowledge of human anatomy, art and design, science of structural materials, and whatever all else goes into making the strongest, most functional, aesthetic custom prostheses.

Doc tells me that for him, contouring a good-looking silicon ear was even harder than crafting a realistic dental crown. He eventually narrowed down to working mostly in dental prosthodontics where he felt most comfortable.

Funny you say that. In my area if a 50 man lab wants to scale down to 10 just do a lab wide drug test lol....I'm wondering I'd our profession attracts addicts, or creates them;)

I'M SORRY TO READ THIS. When I was in high school, even though I took electives in painting and drafting and loved working with my hands, no counselor formal or otherwise ever talked to me about any of the trades cuz I was in the College Prep Program.

Right up until fairly recently I was one of the ignoramuses thinking Drs made my dental crowns. When I finally learned different every one of them let me believe they micromanaged the lab fabrications.

Pretty much up until I found DLN I had no idea a true DLT profession existed.

Advanced Degree Programs in Medical and Dental Lab Technologies

APPARENTLY THERE AREN'T any, and not saying this is where to go beyond CDT, and other current DLT certifications. But given the DLT research I've already seen, new as I am to these studies, and having walked my share of hallowed university halls it would seem a relative campus picnic to design some curricula. Some original research in DLT is PhD worthy; even more research, including applied, written up could earn their authors MAs (see fn). And institutions of higher learning bestow honorary degrees, which could help get the ball rolling; and they also give academic credit for course equivalent certifications and proven life experience.

The research I refer to is not only by professional DLTs abroad, but also by some of our own "unskilled-laborer" DLTs right here in the good ole US of A!

Dental Laboratory Technology Unskilled Labor ?!

R O F L M A O :rofl:2

Maybe in a Chinese assembly line factory.

OTHERWISE, as the old saw sings it, A rose by any other name is still a ROSE.

And, from what I've seen, CAD CAM technology is much like digital painting in that results only can reflect the mind, heart, skill, and talent of the artist holding the digital brushes and paints.

footnote: PhD research must be original, solve or partially solve a significant problem. An MA thesis also is a research writeup, e.g., how you tested an application would work. "Effects of Varying Sintering Temperatures and Cooling Rates on Porcelain Strength" could be an MA thesis title, (titles cannot be copyrighted),and something I've seen discussed on DLN. There are many ways to skin the MA cat.

Last edited:
TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Only means there is going to be a larger gap between those bottom feeding drug addicts and the technologically professionally minded Lab Technician. Therefore, Job Security!!!! Besides, if you do it right, the machines are real close to replacing most of those minimum wage jobs in our industry in my opinion anyways.

cheadlemick

cheadlemick

Reaction score
Our lab in China is growing and producing better and better products as the work force matures and hits thier stride. Our employs do not look like they belong in a halfway house. They value thier jobs because there are people lined up at the door asking to be trained and hired.

Here labs seem to mine the bottom of the labor pool for employes and we skim the top of ours.

I used to shake my hump and growl when anyone took a swip at my busniss model but now not so much.

Lets hope your staff can spell properly!

Top Bottom