HO ingot thickness, Black prep

M

mcfly

Reaction score
What is the minimal thickness for a HO ingot ? I will be making the Palatal side as thick as possible but i have minimal space on the labial area and then i must try and hide the HO ingot as well with my layering .So I was wondering what thickness i can safely reduce an HO ingot in labial area.
Thanks

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
I would grind on the ingot. They're really hard. And what determines the palatal side of the ingot? Like the side opposite of the writing?

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
HO should be at least 50% of your total thickness with a minimum of .4mm for your Substructure and .8mm total thickness.

So if you had a 1mm thick crown .5mm would be your HO ingot and .5mm would be your Ceram powders.

G

grabo

Reaction score
Thanks Patrick ,and i suppose HO would block out the underlying colour at 4mm .Think I will make a PFM and a HO and see which come out best .Dont have enough time for Zirconia unfortunately.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
It should block it out, but if you have more than .8mm room for the crown your HO pressing should be thicker, too.

If all you have is .8mm your best bet is the HO, because .8mm won't give you enough space for a PFM that doesn't look dead.

keithw@vodamail.co.za

[email protected]

Reaction score
What is the minimal thickness for a HO ingot ? I will be making the Palatal side as thick as possible but i have minimal space on the labial area and then i must try and hide the HO ingot as well with my layering .So I was wondering what thickness i can safely reduce an HO ingot in labial area.
Thanks

Hey Mcfly, I've done these over metal posts and dark preps etc, make coping in HO at .5mm thickness,
You may need to stain the coping down a bit if you need an a3 end shade, if your end shade is a1 or a2 then don't need to stain coping.
Layer ceram thickness of 1 to 1.2mm labially and you will be sweet.

M

mcfly

Reaction score
Hey Mcfly, I've done these over metal posts and dark preps etc, make coping in HO at .5mm thickness,
You may need to stain the coping down a bit if you need an a3 end shade, if your end shade is a1 or a2 then don't need to stain coping.
Layer ceram thickness of 1 to 1.2mm labially and you will be sweet.

Thanks Keith and what is the minimal thickness to block out discolouration with an LT ingot ?

keithw@vodamail.co.za

[email protected]

Reaction score
Thanks Keith and what is the minimal thickness to block out discolouration with an LT ingot ?

Mcfly, I don't use Lt ingots to block out discoloration. A grey prep will shine through (grey out) a pressed LT coping or a full contour anterior.
If preps are not discoloured then I use LT ingots no problem, if you got dark stumps, you gotta block them out by pressing HO copings.
On posteriors, i don't worry too much, press lots of fc crowns in LT.
Dentists rarely give me a stump shade unless the stump very dark and they know it will need masking.
Mostly I use the neck shade given on lab slip as the stump shade.
Most posteriors have wall thickness over 1.5 mm and when pressed in LT ,stump shades don't cause too many issues, have not had remakes etc due to shade issues.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I suggest the dr uses a white opacious self cure cement.

Principefly

Principefly

Reaction score
It should block it out, but if you have more than .8mm room for the crown your HO pressing should be thicker, too.

If all you have is .8mm your best bet is the HO, because .8mm won't give you enough space for a PFM that doesn't look dead.
With a thickness of only 0.4 for ceramics, what kind of layering allows you to mask the opacity of the 'HO?

Top Bottom