Got a slightly urgent one here - In lab vs ExoCad

From ACUTAL users - going from 3shape - to exo or inLab which is absolutely best

• Total voters
J

Josh Claxton

Reaction score
Hello everybody! Just signed up for DLN, been an in-house trained DT for almost four years now.

While I started out with hand-waxing, I soon got our D700 up and running, and our mill. However, our D700 is (old) and running on the 32 bit pc that it came with. We're looking to upgrade. At the eastern conference the dentsply sirona rep got ahold of my boss and talked up the InLab.

We had our 3shape system through Dentsply, and got burned, I do not want to deal with another burn, especially a Sirona shaped burn. I need the pros and cons between exocad and InLab to use for an argument with him.

They have made the InLab look enticing, the price with trading in will be 18k - and mostly for my boss - no licensing fee. The exocad will be 1400 fee and 22.5k ish for the scanner (identica t500) or possibly a DOF.

We will likely not be continuing with 3shape, considering we need model builder soon, and the cost will be substantial, especially the added annual fee cost, and we are a small (basically 2 person) lab where i do all the design, milling, general finishing work.

He especially likes the idea of picking up old Cerec users in the area with having in-lab and pulling them in.

I need to know how crappy and awful this software is, and any horror story you lab techs have from using inlab. Please -----

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody! Just signed up for DLN, been an in-house trained DT for almost four years now.

While I started out with hand-waxing, I soon got our D700 up and running, and our mill. However, our D700 is (old) and running on the 32 bit pc that it came with. We're looking to upgrade. At the eastern conference the dentsply sirona rep got ahold of my boss and talked up the InLab.

We had our 3shape system through Dentsply, and got burned, I do not want to deal with another burn, especially a Sirona shaped burn. I need the pros and cons between exocad and InLab to use for an argument with him.

They have made the InLab look enticing, the price with trading in will be 18k - and mostly for my boss - no licensing fee. The exocad will be 1400 fee and 22.5k ish for the scanner (identica t500) or possibly a DOF.

We will likely not be continuing with 3shape, considering we need model builder soon, and the cost will be substantial, especially the added annual fee cost, and we are a small (basically 2 person) lab where i do all the design, milling, general finishing work.

He especially likes the idea of picking up old Cerec users in the area with having in-lab and pulling them in.

I need to know how crappy and awful this software is, and any horror story you lab techs have from using inlab. Please -----
Greetings Earthling! Welcome!

You've certainly come to the right place.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Decisoins made in haste are called mistakes.

Many of my accounts have a Cerec sitting in the corner. They aren't used any longer.

Im a former 3Shape owner.

I don't do business with Dentsply.

There are no fees with exocad. You buy it, its yours.

Business is good, and I have no regrets.

You need equipment, advice, help, tech support? @KIM @brayks A couple of my favorites.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score

For a good starting point, show him how many are on eBay, and how few of the others... You don't sell equipment that works *AND* makes you money.

E

edwarddental

Reaction score
This idea maybe answer to yours question :

doug

doug

Reaction score
I've heard good things about the DOF scanner. Make sure your vendor offers all of the modules you might need or want later if you go exocad.

edit for spelling

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Without a doubt, go exocad...however, since you have a 3 shape background...I'd suggest you get dentsply to loan you the equipment they want to sell you for a few months to try out. They did that for one of my clients.

G

grantoz

Reaction score
i have both but use exocad 95% of the time better back up less expensive and doesnt stop if you dont pay your fees you just dont get back up.

Z

ztech

Reaction score
I've heard good things about the DOF scanner. Make sure your vendor offers all of the modules you might need or want later if you go exocad.

edit for spelling
I have the DOF HD and the only thing I would change is get the DOF UHD. It was being introduced as I completed my purchase for the HD. The HD is quick, intuitive, and the base scans almost always get the areas needed for fabrication so no further scans are required.

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score

Also formerly 3 shape and finally, FREE of bugcity, going on 2nd year with DOF HD and exocad, Never looking back, awesome results!!!

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

CreDes

CreDes

Reaction score
Inlab limits you as far as Implants. Inlab only lets you use their tibases and any custom abutments can be sent to Atlantis. Sirona is one of the only cleared systems for in-house production of abutments.
Exocad seems nice, but I have not used it. 3Shape works for me, but it is expensive and I do not like the D900 scanner that I have.

J

Jack

Reaction score

I have Zirkonzahn S600 scanner and Cerec InEos X5 scanner.
I like both.
I find the InEos scans fast and accurately even interproximally when there is limited space.
You can use any tibase, just don't use the scanbody. The margin will scan, most times even without removing it and scanning it separately.
In other words I don't cut the model and am still able to scan tibase on solid model with margins coming out perfectly all around. Of cause I use rubber gingiva which is removed for tibase scanning.
I love the InEos scanner. STL files. Can mill with any mill that accepts STL files.
I've had it now for 4 years not one problem yet.
Don't have the Cerec mill MCX5 only MCXL and M5 and 2 x M1 Zirkonzahn mills. Mill Emax on MCXL everything else with Zirkonzahn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J

Jack

Reaction score
I have Zirkonzahn S600 scanner and Cerec InEos X5 scanner.
I like both.
I find the InEos scans fast and accurately even interproximally when there is limited space.
You can use any tibase, just don't use the scanbody. The margin will scan, most times even without removing it and scanning it separately.
In other words I don't cut the model and am still able to scan tibase on solid model with margins coming out perfectly all around. Of cause I use rubber gingiva which is removed for tibase scanning.
I love the InEos scanner. STL files. Can mill with any mill that accepts STL files.
I've had it now for 4 years not one problem yet.
Don't have the Cerec mill MCX5 only MCXL and M5 and 2 x M1 Zirkonzahn mills. Mill Emax on MCXL everything else with Zirkonzahn.
O yes I have a D800 and a Nobel scanner, not used at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WaxOnScanOff

WaxOnScanOff

Reaction score

In our lab we utilize both InLab AND a 3-Shape scanner/design combos. The way I present it to people is that its like driving a Kia (InLab) and a Cadillac (3-Shape): they do the same basic thing, but one does it a whoollleee lot smoother and with minimal problems. To further the analogy, 3-Shape is substantially more expensive than InLab, but we've had the Cerec stuff for 18 months now and we simply cant get it to fit correctly 100% of the time. We've adjusted spacing, been to conferences and training...its still basically a crap shoot with our doctors preps whether or not the in-house milled crown will fit properly. All I hear from the Sirona people is how we basically need better preps. Well, YOU try telling our doctors that. In this day and age who can afford to lose business? However, those EXACT SAME preps scanned and designed on 3-Shape will fit and mill properly.

Bottom line: I cant recommend InLab to you. Too many problems and not enough solutions. 3-Shape is expensive, but it works. I've never tried ExoCad but I hear good things.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Hey now... this is offensive to Kia. A Kia wouldn't stop working everytime you go out for a drive.
So long as you don't instal Microsoft firmware...;)

GAP

GAP

Reaction score
@Josh Claxton
I have a medit blue scanner and exocad with implant and articulator module, I was going to post on ebay. let me know if your interested. bought it maybe 3 years ago. Custom made PC, windows 7 pro. It was very fast, no lagging even when designing full mouth restorations.

Bryce Hiller

Bryce Hiller

Reaction score
I'm confused...where's the Dental Wings option?? Laugh