Glidewell news pfms

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
everyone is so exciting about doing less and less labor in the dental lab ....... The reason dental labs thrived was because our clents didnt want to do all that labor and steps .........watch out what you ask for . We will all be soon out of a job . The big manufactures we buy product from will soon boot us out and clinicians will buy direct from them .
And who do you think is making these at the big suppliers' small lab replacement centers? It's us, not automation. Machines cant yet stain/color.

jodie

jodie

Reaction score
Glad to see this thread going so strong! I value all of your insights! I just wanted to see what all of you think about pfms in general. It's exciting and uncertain with all of our new choices out there. We have a waxer and pfms ceramist that we can hardly keep busy. It's hard to know what to do with them, they are like family and the business decisions are difficult.

A

adl

Reaction score
Glad to see this thread going so strong! I value all of your insights! I just wanted to see what all of you think about pfms in general. It's exciting and uncertain with all of our new choices out there. We have a waxer and pfms ceramist that we can hardly keep busy. It's hard to know what to do with them, they are like family and the business decisions are difficult.
What's a Pfm ceramist? Or a Pfm waxer for that matter? A ceramist is a ceramist ,no matter of the material that's layered . A good waxer has qualities that can be used in other areas. I'm sure you can find more exciting things for them to do. They might even thank you .

jodie

jodie

Reaction score
What's a Pfm ceramist? Or a Pfm waxer for that matter? A ceramist is a ceramist ,no matter of the material that's layered . A good waxer has qualities that can be used in other areas. I'm sure you can find more exciting things for them to do. They might even thank you .
I wish their skill levels were more creative and forward thinking. They like the old way.

doug

doug

Reaction score
They need to be able to change as your business model changes. CAD design is just a transition from waxing...for someone who wants to do it. It's a lot more fun after you get the hang of it as well

jodie

jodie

Reaction score
They need to be able to change as your business model changes. CAD design is just a transition from waxing...for someone who wants to do it. It's a lot more fun after you get the hang of it as well
We have full staffed cad department that just freaking rocks and we have become so efficient with our ceramists with zirconia that it's hard to find future positions for them.

jodie

jodie

Reaction score
Totally agree scared and denial
Have spent the last year trying to diversify them, but they just turn their noses up and have to spend alot of time retraining their skills and minds

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
Have spent the last year trying to diversify them, but they just turn their noses up and have to spend alot of time retraining their skills and minds
Give them a copy of Dental Lab Reports or LMT...Shift will be hopefully recognized.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Can we get another point....The door is that way. Seriously, the best thing about this industry is it's always changing, embrace it is what would be my advice to them. Tough to be in a boat with a bunch of rowers when you have an outboard.

user name

user name

Reaction score
I let an employee go quite a few years back before I went fully solo. He just wasn't a performer. Kinda sucked, because he was a nice guy and dint have a lot on the ball. He went to work stacking shelves at a grocery store, worked up to a night shift manager in just a year, and then saw how much the window cleaner was getting paid. Put two and two together, leveraged his position with the store to get the window contract for a lot of their stores, and then picked up other commercial accounts.
Long story short, he stopped by and thanked me for the opportunity to work, but mostly for being honest with him about his future and letting him go. He met his wife at the store and is now making way, way more than he ever could have in the lab.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
You now the saying "when a door closes an other one opens"...

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
I'll translate it.....
Don' let da damn door hit ya in da a$$ on yer way oot, hey?!
......an bring me a beer, eh!?

Last edited: