Forgot How to PFM

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
I have a remake I need to do for a 18-22. The zirc broke so now doc wants PFM. I did a pfm about 1.5 years ago and can't remember how I got the framework done. But I'm going to go through Argen. I have some GC Initial MC porcelain. Do I go with SLM? DPM? Milled metal (cobalt crome it looks like). It just needs to be a base metal, non-precious. What should I go with?

RDA

RDA

Reaction score
I did not care for the SLM. It was very porous, and the margins were brittle to finish. I recommend going DPM, or milled colbalt. Argen's Noble Crown NF is garbage.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
I did not care for the SLM. It was very porous, and the margins were brittle to finish. I recommend going DPM, or milled colbalt. Argen's Noble Crown NF is garbage.
Thanks!

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I just did my annual pfm case for the same reason, broken zr, Dr wanted metal occlusal on the last molar..
Argen says the SLM is indicated for full metal occlusal, but it basically looked like a chunk of lava rock.. almost unpolishable because of the pits. Margins and fit were good.
That was the platinum plus, I would go with the cad/cast. It was about $135 for a 3 unit bridge.. : /

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
I just did my annual pfm case for the same reason, broken zr, Dr wanted metal occlusal on the last molar..
Argen says the SLM is indicated for full metal occlusal, but it basically looked like a chunk of lava rock.. almost unpolishable because of the pits. Margins and fit were good.
That was the platinum plus, I would go with the cad/cast. It was about $135 for a 3 unit bridge.. : /
I went with the milled. Hope I can handle it

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
Just do a cad wax milled bridge and cast it . Had this case six years ago, turned out pretty slick. Pick Your alloy. It’s your lab.
IMG_5382.jpeg

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I do that for gold, but no way am I getting sucked back in to PFMs, I dont mind 1 a year to keep a doc happy and remind me of what a hassle it is..

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
I do that for gold, but no way am I getting sucked back in to PFMs, I dont mind 1 a year to keep a doc happy and remind me of what a hassle it is..

I still do an occasional pfm/ metal collar but said no more bridges. They are a labor drain. Good thing I haven’t had zirc bridges
failing. (Yet)

Gigieiya

Gigieiya

Reaction score
Few years ago I've made some PFM's on non-Chinese SLM metal. I liked margin edge, there was no porous.
I know that most technicians in Sweden raised PFM prise higher than Zr so now dentists don't order metal)

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I still do an occasional pfm/ metal collar but said no more bridges. They are a labor drain. Good thing I haven’t had zirc bridges
failing. (Yet)
This was a weird case, first zr bridge came off, patient swallowed it, had to get xray to make sure it passed, 2nd zr bridge broke the bicuspid abutment at the tissue and came off. I made a gold post and core on the bi, with a pfm bridge over it.. any bets how long that will last? :rolleyes:

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Just do a cad wax milled bridge and cast it . Had this case six years ago, turned out pretty slick. Pick Your alloy. It’s your lab.
View attachment 44213
I opened my lab without a casting arm(?) Metal slinger(?). I haven't cast anything since year one of being a tech...18 frickin years

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I opened my lab without a casting arm(?) Metal slinger(?). I haven't cast anything since year one of being a tech...18 frickin years
I still cast the occasional PFM cases, but especially UCLA abutments that are opaqued for anterior emax press restorations. It's a bit labor intensive, but the results come out nice...and I do charge accordingly.

Gigieiya

Gigieiya

Reaction score
I still cast the occasional PFM cases, but especially UCLA abutments that are opaqued for anterior emax press restorations. It's a bit labor intensive, but the results come out nice...and I do charge accordingly.
Thats a great option on a lower jaw, when opposite upper is Zr. Like an alternative I'm thinking to start doing that cases like digital BioHpp bar covered with pink composite and some emax crowns.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Right off your dock? :)
Right along the shore line and under my neighbour’s dock.
I get a kick out of the guys with the bass boats that cost as much as my cottage heading down to the other end of the lake. Meanwhile I can see the bass swimming my shoreline.

Top Bottom