Fits...Printed or Laser Sintered

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
I have tried the Bego printed and induction cast copings but have not tried the laser sintered copings. Can someone who has tried both options discuss which they prefer and why?
Thanks for any input.

stt672

stt672

Reaction score
I was very pleased with both results as they give you 4 samples. As far as I know the laser is for the N.P. only. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Spend time in making sure all undercuts are not present and the laser copings are sweet. What I haven't found out yet is how are the laser copings holding up long term. Is there a bonding issue? I just don't know but I would like to see some studies on this. The induction copings have silver in the PFM metal, I'm not sure I want to deal with the silver but in reading past posts it's not a issue with many labs.

Last edited:
PDC

PDC

Reaction score
I was very pleased with both results as they give you 4 samples. As far as I know the laser is for the N.P. only. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Spend time in making sure all undercuts are not present and the laser copings are sweet. What I haven't found out yet is how are the laser copings holding up long term. Is there a bonding issue? I just don't know but I would like to see some studies on this. The induction copings have silver in the PFM metal, I'm not sure I want to deal with the silver but in reading past posts it's not a issue with many labs.

I noticed that Dale Dental does "Fusion" copings in a precious metal...I assume those are laser sintered. I really like the idea of outsourcing metal substructures as they seem make up only a small percentage of my overall volume. The pricing of these copings is very competitive and the fits I have received from Bego have been good. I am still trying to get the margins a little thinner. Do the laser sintered copings have thinner margins?

stt672

stt672

Reaction score
My sintered copings margins were dead spot on. I wouldn't myself want the margins thinner than what I received.

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
My sintered copings margins were dead spot on. I wouldn't myself want the margins thinner than what I received.

I find my margins to be spot on as well (with Dale) and am working at thinning them in design a bit more. Even so, my milled units required more thinning at the margins. And yes, they do all alloy types.
Also, I'm w/ PDC. Only about 15% of my workload is pfm, so casting is a distraction, and HN copings even more so.

D

dentcre

Reaction score

I been using laser copings from dale and bego,, both are excelent , you can have noble and high noble laser sinter coping also from dale.,

now , on the non precious metal copings, to answer your bonding question. I experimented before starting to use these copings and found that
the best way to handle them is the following

since degassing is not necesary with these copings, and since we are already used to the degassing step, what I ended up doing and still do
is insted of the degass step, I do a extra opaque fireing, the way i do the first is extreammly thing just bearly a wash almost nothing.,
2nd ussual first opaque and ,and 3rd ussual 2 nd opaque.

after doing this I tried to break off the porcelain of some crowns to see how the opaque holds up and sure enough it remains bonded lot 70% nicer
than regular 2 opaque technique.

for me its hard to return to wax and cast, laser sintering is the way to go, I tried printed and cast also, but you have to adjust to fit, not like laser , laser fits like if they where painted on.

Last edited:
PCDL

PCDL

Reaction score
Currently, Bego will only laser sinter NP copings, that is correct. This may change in the future, but currently, all N and HN copings are "Cad-Cast". I have found the fits on both to be very good (once my settings were dialed in) and have no problems with the cases, other than Large, very Parallel implant cases. The guys at Bego are great, and really work hard to be sure your work fits well. I do about 40-60 copings a week with Bego, and it's very consistent.

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Question: Has anyone been polishing laser sintered metal? I found myself chasing micro-pits (10x scope) and couldn't get a flawless shine.

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
Question: Has anyone been polishing laser sintered metal? I found myself chasing micro-pits (10x scope) and couldn't get a flawless shine.

When using LSM, I wrap the metal completely with porcelain so as to avoid those issues. If the Doc wants a metal occlusal or a collar at the gingival, I do the Cad-Cast through Bego to avoid the pit issues. I've have noticed that the pits do seem to be a more prevalent with the LSM's.

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Thanks PDC. It must be the process, then. I'll stick to having TruCrown do the milling on all my exposed CrCo metal then. The laser sintered worked excellent for no metal showing, but the last long span bridge I did had to have metal linguals, so milled it is and will be.

Appreciate the feedback!

D

dentcre

Reaction score
Thanks PDC. It must be the process, then. I'll stick to having TruCrown do the milling on all my exposed CrCo metal then. The laser sintered worked excellent for no metal showing, but the last long span bridge I did had to have metal linguals, so milled it is and will be.

Appreciate the feedback!

wow, I have never had that problem , begos full cast slm's shine like a diamond

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Please correct me: I thought Bego only did SLM understructures, but printed and cast the full contour.

D

dentcre

Reaction score
Please correct me: I thought Bego only did SLM understructures, but printed and cast the full contour.

Bego laser sinters non precius full cast , i order those all the time

If its hn or n bego does print and cast for 5 dollars extra